SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
termite
termite will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Vue Rear Latch Unlock Access Hole

I read about people wondering how to open the rear latch if the unlock mechanism failed and you don't have a lock cylinder (most 2003 and newer with power locks). I also read where someone said the Chevy Equinox had a hole you could unplug and get the hatch open, so I wanted to try to do it with my Vue.

Here is what the latch mechanism looks from inside

The trick is to move that black lever with the hole at the bottom of the picture and the latch is unlocked.

I cut this hole which lets you get to that lever and move it. If I could do it over, I would have moved it almost a 1/4 " further from the bottom of the hatch to make it easier to see the lever inside while on the floor of the cargo area. I did paint that part white to help see it.

I then used a rubber plug from a drum brake adjuster hole.

To use it, get as low as you can in the rear cargo area and put a small screw driver in and push the lever to the left to unlock the latch.

All I can say is be careful when cutting the hole (see the middle picture). I don't want anyone messing up their interior. It is about 1 1/4 " away from the edge of the plastic, 1/4" deep, and 1" wide but it also depends on the plug you use.
You may have an idea of your own to try. Once again be careful. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
solofast
solofast is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Vue Rear Latch Unlock Access Hole

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

My Vue rear hatch wouldn't unlatch today. It was partially unlocked and the latch was stuck on the safety catch.. I drilled a single small hole about as described and used a small phillips screwdriver to rotate the lever for the lock counterclockwise ( the post isn't totally clear about that, the lock lever arm is the dark piece of plastic sticking up at the top back of the assembly. The lever arm is on a pivot that is horizontal, and to unlock it you rotate the ears that are sticking up toward the passenger side. That's the reason for this post, since I was just probing around and finally got it to open. Also note the hole is slightly towards the passenger side of the car since the pictures are taken with the hatch up and are upside down from where you are doing it from inside the vehicle) and it worked!!!

Lubed the lock mechanism with white lithium grease and worked it in and it is working fine now. If not for this post I'd have been hacking at the plastic to get the rear cover off and get the hatch open...

You would have thought that they would have set it up so that you could get the inner panel off without opening the hatch, but that would make too much sense....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solofast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solofast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Mr. Pig
Mr. Pig is on a distinguished road

Thanks, this worked for me as well. It was a little tricky getting the latch to open, but it only took a few minutes, then I was able to pop the hatch and get the panel off to fix the latch. The rod that attaches the latch mechanism to the outside handle came undone. Hopefully it is not a recurring problem.

I may note though, after getting the hatch open, it looks like you may be able to get to those two screws with the hatch shut, but you have to pry up on the plastic some. Once those two screws are out, the panel will pop off. I didn't try it since my problem was already fixed, just something to give a shot if anyone else reads this looking for a solution to this problem.

I'm off to Lowes to get a plug for my access hole...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr. Pig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr. Pig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr. Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
jeannie2426
jeannie2426 is on a distinguished road

I have to thank you for this post!! Taking a road trip tomorrow and really needed to be able to access my trunk. I cut the hole, messed around for a while and figured out what you had to move to unlock. Then realized, you need to also lock from the inside. Just the way it no longer unlocks.....it no longer locks!! I dont want to risk taking the panel off and not being able to put it back together before my road trip, so I got some heavy gauge wire and looped it though the little hole in the latch and now I put to lock or pull to unlock. Its a temporary solution, but just one so that I can easily unlock it while there are suitcases in my way. I would have never thought of this rather barbaric solution, but it certainly did the trick, thanks again!! :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeannie2426's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeannie2426 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeannie2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
termite

2001 SC2

I am glad to hear it helped you out.

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

From what I recall only the Dodge Journey has an access plug from the factory.

The whole problem is the interior designers don't want an access plug to be visible.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Sometimes function over appearance, Why no exterior keylock?

I can imagine this mechanisim or remote failing in the midst of winter or when most needed.

Brilliant idea, A MUST do procedure!

The LESS electronics in a vehicle the better.

Last edited by Bismarck318; 01-07-2012 at 11:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Okay... so, was there an option available after '03 for a key lock/unlock? I discovered my '05 Red Line DOES have one... I was quite stunned when I discovered this as my '04 FWD V6 does not, as seems to be the norm.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

No passenger door lock either, I havbe always had vehicles where locks freeze too .

Tip: Keep your drivers Key entry lubed with graphite & use on occasion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
termite

2001 SC2

Here I have pictures after I made a larger round hole and used a chromed round plug. http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=156882

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!