SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default To Boost Sales, Saturn Rethinks Itself

A new feeditems entry has been added:

To Boost Sales, Saturn Rethinks Itself – Again

Quote:
Business Week magazine offers an in-depth look at the "rethinking" behind Saturn's new advertising campaign that's set to kick-off later tonight. Look for the new ads to have a more sophisticated flair than in the past, something Saturn hopes will reinforce the fact that its new lineup of smart, chic cars and sport-utilities.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: To Boost Sales, Saturn Rethinks Itself

The key, he says, has been to find the images and voice that will engage women, but without alienating men. The TV media plan reflects the new focus: Gossip Girl, Smallville, Brothers & Sisters, the Today show, Good Morning America, and The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Um, sorry to say, I think that's enough to alienate most straight men out there. The new Saturn isn't going to be a brand that men will want to be associated with!

I still wish some other company would develop some sort of dent resistant body panels, though! It's the one thing I really miss about my old Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

>> The key, he says, has been to find the images and voice that will engage women, but without alienating men. <<

Given the fact that I see many men and women doing things together and sharing common interests, I don't understand the problem in those terms. The answer of where to advertise is as obvious as opening your eyes as to where your target market resides, works and how they are spending their leisure time. The issue is probably less a matter of men versus women than variations in lifestyles among men and women alike. If advertising portrays its customer base as successful, affluent and attractive, how does it also target those who feel less than confident, frustrated and alone but who still have money and need a vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
The key, he says, has been to find the images and voice that will engage women, but without alienating men. The TV media plan reflects the new focus: Gossip Girl, Smallville, Brothers & Sisters, the Today show, Good Morning America, and The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Um, sorry to say, I think that's enough to alienate most straight men out there. The new Saturn isn't going to be a brand that men will want to be associated with!

I still wish some other company would develop some sort of dent resistant body panels, though! It's the one thing I really miss about my old Saturn!
Yes, because straight men don't watch Oprah or Smallville or Good Morning America. They're too busy killing something or driving their Hummer to do that. What a stupid statement. I didn't realize you could determine sexuality by what someone watches, and by extension what they drive. Be straight, just don't be narrow.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Oh,..."chic" cars.
I thought he said "chick" cars....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Well, Saturn already has somewhat of a reputation for being a "chick car" and I only see them reinforcing that. If they can get enough sales that way, more power to 'em, but time will tell if that approach is a good one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Well, Saturn already has somewhat of a reputation for being a "chick car" and I only see them reinforcing that. If they can get enough sales that way, more power to 'em, but time will tell if that approach is a good one.
I heard from day one it was targeted for women over 25.

I saw some blogs about Saturn Rethinks Itself on a non-Saturn site and most of the comments were not very flattering.

Let's bundle Saturn with Hummer and Saab if that's the direction they want to go...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Business Week magazine offers an in-depth look at the "rethinking" behind Saturn's new advertising campaign that's set to kick-off later tonight. Look for the new ads to have a more sophisticated flair than in the past, something Saturn hopes will reinforce the fact that its new lineup of smart, chic cars and sport-utilities.
Anymore, that's the truth. Saturn needs an agressive looking car that has some power (OPC Astra). The Sky Redline isn't cutting it, it's another chick car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Anymore, that's the truth. Saturn needs an agressive looking car that has some power (OPC Astra). The Sky Redline isn't cutting it, it's another chick car.
Saturn has the VUE Red Line, and Aura XR.

What do you want a Dodge Challenger, or Mustang GT?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Dizzy Re: To Boost Sales, Saturn Rethinks Itself

"Chick car" vs "Chic car" vs a "Man's car" Blah blah blah,

Marketing is the art of taking a whole truth and creatively splitting it into 2 half truths that sound better.

A market meeting discussion can go on like this..
Guess what? Both men and women buy cars! No wait, that is just old fashioned (so a woman says), or that dog don't hunt (says the man). He says, I've got it! Lets tell people that if that car has more 10% more power than the other, its macho and get them to buy it! She replys with, no wait, lets say that the car can run on a bio fuel and that is good for the planet! Or let say, rethink American and have the car made in Mexico, no better yet import it from Belgium! Lets Rethink safety! (Like someone else doesn't?) Well lets go on Oprah and give cars away! That will make them sell! Yeah!

The boss comes in and says yes! We must give lots of cars a way to keep making them faster and cheaper than ever! Goood work people, let go get some overpriced coffees at starbucks and play some golf later.

Just give me a good car, at a good price, keep it simple, durable, and a joy to own and drive. What is wrong with small town values? NOTHING! Nothing at all.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
se200
se200 is on a distinguished road

The premise is nonsense. it's rethinking thinking. That's what car companies are all about.
Saturn is just the new Oldsmobile. an upscale version of the cheap chevy. I like the Aura and the GF was going to get one to replace her aging Grand Am and the G6 is not pretty like the Aura. But the no haggling thing that appealed to her when she did not know better has long passed. And no GM points on Saturns means they have lost a sale.
GM seems to be trying to hold the market on people who will never be on here unless to ask 1 question and leave. Saturn is for I need a car, it looks pretty, how much are the payments? You'll recommend replacing parts on the chance they might fail later but as long as I'm not without a car, I'll pay lots of money because I don't have the desire to know anything about something that I depend on to get me places safely and on time.
Saturn built a great for the money car originally and now they are trying to pass off that chevy with different trim as the reliable saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to se200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help se200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
se200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I like the Aura and the GF was going to get one to replace her aging Grand Am and the G6 is not pretty like the Aura. But the no haggling thing that appealed to her when she did not know better has long passed. And no GM points on Saturns means they have lost a sale.
What did you buy?

Quote:
GM seems to be trying to hold the market on people who will never be on here unless to ask 1 question and leave. Saturn is for I need a car, it looks pretty, how much are the payments? You'll recommend replacing parts on the chance they might fail later but as long as I'm not without a car, I'll pay lots of money because I don't have the desire to know anything about something that I depend on to get me places safely and on time.
Saturn built a great for the money car originally and now they are trying to pass off that chevy with different trim as the reliable saturn.
Can somebody translate this?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Can somebody translate this?
Oooo...sorry, I left my "Trollish to English" dictionary at home. My bad.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I wonder if it would be possible for GM to subsidize the construction of about 500-1000 new Saturn dealerships. Maybe even allowing those dealerships to sell other brand cars. (Any one but Chevrolet, take your pick.) That would be the only real way to sell more cars. These women that Saturn is trying to cater to are very often moms, and what mom is going to drive 40 miles plus to have their car serviced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Oooo...sorry, I left my "Trollish to English" dictionary at home. My bad.
I don't think that was Troll as much as it was Bushese.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #16
akpeper
akpeper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And no GM points on Saturns means they have lost a sale.
If you would have been paying attention over the last week you might have seen that Saturn is now accepting GM Card earnings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akpeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akpeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
akpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
I don't think that was Troll as much as it was Bushese.
Rosetta Stone doesn't make a program for Bushese...heck, Bushese changes from day to day, even the source gets confusicated from time to time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Saturn has the VUE Red Line, and Aura XR.

What do you want a Dodge Challenger, or Mustang GT?
Neither of them have much of a fun to drive factor.

No, a Saturn that actually has some power and is fun to drive. I don't think it's too much to ask for a compact coupe that has at least 230+ horsepower paired with a manual with a nice suspension and brakes. Chevy is getting the turbo LNF Cobalt SS while Saturn is stuck with an underpowered hatcback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Thumbs Up Re: To Boost Sales, Saturn Rethinks Itself

To all those who were concerned that the Saturn advertising campaign would be too directed at women, the first new Saturn VUE ad that I personally saw on television appeared on tonight's Comcast broadcast of the Philadelphia Flyers/Washington Capitals seventh and deciding NHL opening round playoff game. That seems to me to be directed at a target audience composed of a high percentage of men and also women who share common interests with men. Perhaps the people creating the new marketing effort are a bit more clever and capable than some would have given them credit to be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Well, whatever they decide to do with Saturn, it ain't the Saturn of the 1990's in any way shape or form. Anyone want to help me found my own car company, specializing in affordable economy class American built dent resistant plastic cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!