SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
foo
foo is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default 122,000 miles on transmission with no transmission fluid change in car's history.

122,000 miles on transmission with no transmission fluid change in car's history.
I was thinking about doing the tranny fluid change and filter change on the car. I just received it from a relative that said they've never done a tranny fluid change in any car they own.
I asked a mechanic what he thought I should do about it and he said, sometimes changing the fluid after so many miles can be a bad thing. He says he would just drive it 'til the tranny went bad and rebuild it. But of course, I am not a mechanic that can do that kind of work on my own.

What should I do? Should I change the fluid out or no?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: 122,000 miles on transmission with no transmission fluid change in car's history.

That's a tough one there...I've heard some people say that if you begin changing it, you will need to continue to change it on a consistent basis to keep the gears in check and good working order.

I can say from experience that at 332,xxx original miles on my original engine and automatic transmission (neither of which have been rebuilt) that if you miss an ATF change, it WILL come back to haunt you...

I nearly had thought I was going to have to replace my auto trans 2 years ago because I let the trans fluid go about 2K miles over the reccommended change....my car didn't like me or the fact that I had missed the change (as I had previously been VERY good about changing the fluid out at regular intervals)...my car was catching in 2nd/3rd Gear and jerking along. I changed out the fluid and filter, and have been consistent with the changes; and everything has continued to run great.

Another thing that would be a good factor to consider...why kind of driving do these relatives of your do, where they have never done any kind of ATF service? If they have done mostly city driving with no changes, you are asking for trouble...city driving kills an engine.

If the driving they have done has been highway driving, cruising at 65 mph+ you may be in a better position, as gears and moving parts are in a constant state of motion.

Doing this yourself is not difficult, but you will have to change the filter like you would for an oil change and then drain out the old fluid from below...there is a stopcock on the auto trans just like there is on the oil pan as well. You open it up, let the old fluid drain, and then refill and change the filter. Run the car for a few minutes and check to see if you need to add more ATF fluid or not.

If you do choose to change the fluid,you may run the risk of draining fluid out that has built up a meshing with gears.

One thing that comes to mind...is this an automatic trans or a manual trans?

If this car is a manual trans, there is not a transmission filter. You just drain the fluid and refill it with 2.6 qts of Trans fluid (manual transmission). I don't know off the top of my head what it is for an automatic.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 122,000 miles on transmission with no transmission fluid change in car's history.

i would bet that most cars today go there whole life without an atf change. not saying that it is good to not change it i just think most dont

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
foo

1997 SL1

Automatic transmission. Most of the mileage is from highway driving.

That's what I heard, that after a time, the atf meshes with the gears and that removing it causes problems.

Going to be a tough decision.

I guess my next question to ponder on as to whether to change the fluid or not is; if the tranny goes bad, how hard is it to rebuild a transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not being a transmission expert I would guess that tranny oil gets old from the clutch packs wearing along with metallic debris shed from the gears. The filter strains most of this out but the oil properties wear out over time. At the mileage put on, it would be better to replace the oil and filter, period. The minute particles that are floating around are removed for the most part when the oil is replaced. Just my 2-cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

What kind of car is it?

A lot of cars don't recommend a change until 100K. 122K isn't that far off.

I'd say change it. My wife's old Civic started having tranny problem past 100K, and changing the fluid helped.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
adammsu
adammsu is on a distinguished road

I was told that old sables/taurus's got much worse when you changed the tranny fluid...... maybe this car is similar, but will depend on the model itself

2008 Astra XR5 Twilight Blue
---I hate being a mod-inclined person w/o the money/time to do any of it---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adammsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adammsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adammsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Year and model?

This should be posted in the forum for whichever model of Saturn it pertains to. If it's for another car, it should be posted in the "Other Cars" forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
foo

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammsu View Post
I was told that old sables/taurus's got much worse when you changed the tranny fluid...... maybe this car is similar, but will depend on the model itself

I'm sorry I didn't note the other cars forum.

This is a Mercury Sable 2001. I hope that what you're saying doesn't apply to that year and model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foo's Reputation
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
adammsu
adammsu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
I'm sorry I didn't note the other cars forum.

This is a Mercury Sable 2001. I hope that what you're saying doesn't apply to that year and model.
haha, coincidence.... the one i was referring to was a sable, but surely older then 2001, probably more like mid-90's.... but you never know... would definitely call up some mechanics

2008 Astra XR5 Twilight Blue
---I hate being a mod-inclined person w/o the money/time to do any of it---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adammsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adammsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adammsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
foo

1997 SL1

I will look into seeing if this one does require it at 100,000. If so, then I'll go for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foo's Reputation