SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Gas Gauge Not reading Full After fill up?

I have a 2004, 5 speed manual transmisson Vue.

After my fill up earlier tonight my gas gauge didn't move up to FULL, in fact after a few minutes of driving the needle dropped to just above the quarter of a tank needle mark level.

This is weird. I'll check it in the morning. What can cause this?
I know the tank is full as I stopped pumping when the gas nozzle clicked.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Gas Gauge Not reading Full After fill up?

Some pump nozzles cut off too soon. I always give mine a bump (or two) after it cuts off just to make sure. If it turns out that is not the case with yours, you might be in for a tank gauge if you decide to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

It could be the fuel gauge sending unit. Apparently, this is a common problem with GM vehicles, including Corvettes, and is discussed on other forums. Sulfur from the gasoline fouls the sending unit. If that is the case, you can get "GM Fuel System Treatment Plus" which has been formulated to address this issue.

Here is just one website that discusses this: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/116577/

If the sending unit itself has gone bad, as on my S-10, then it is very expensive to remove the fuel tank and replace the entire unit.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
redkees@msn.com

2004 VUE 2.2L

I'll give the fuel additive a try. Can't hurt and beats paying mucho money for new sending unit.
By the way the needle did rise up earlier today. Seems it's an intermittent
problem.

98 SL, Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Out of curiosity, what brand of gas were you using? Did your problem happen after a fill up at a different station?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
redkees@msn.com

2004 VUE 2.2L

I put mobil gas in it. Not cheap by no means--$3.45 a gallon. In fact I put $35 in it that's why I know I filled it.
It had a quarter tank in it before I filled it.
Today the gas gauge moved up to "F", and after 145 miles went to 3/4 tank level., which although is not an accurate measurement mind you but at least
is an indication that the needle (and sending unit) today was working oK.

98 SL, Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7Mayberry View Post
It could be the fuel gauge sending unit. Apparently, this is a common problem with GM vehicles, including Corvettes, and is discussed on other forums. Sulfur from the gasoline fouls the sending unit. If that is the case, you can get "GM Fuel System Treatment Plus" which has been formulated to address this issue.

Here is just one website that discusses this: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/116577/

If the sending unit itself has gone bad, as on my S-10, then it is very expensive to remove the fuel tank and replace the entire unit.
Someone mentioned on a different forum that the Chevron Techron was the same stuff. After some reviews, I saw mention of GM fuel gauges being corrected after use. Advance Auto Parts is doing a B1G1 deal right now - $12.99 for 2 bottles. I bought some!

I'll post back how it does. If it doesn't fix my weird gas gauge, I'll report back.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...content=value4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
bern
bern will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

The Vue has 2 senders in the tank . You may be able to buy them without the fuel module.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Someone mentioned on a different forum that the Chevron Techron was the same stuff. After some reviews, I saw mention of GM fuel gauges being corrected after use. Advance Auto Parts is doing a B1G1 deal right now - $12.99 for 2 bottles. I bought some!

I'll post back how it does. If it doesn't fix my weird gas gauge, I'll report back.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...content=value4
So far, this stuff seems to be working. I'll be heading out for the road trip in a bit. I'll report back later today after I refill it.

Oh, and my local store is doing the deal also. Snatch it up while you can!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
So far, this stuff seems to be working. I'll be heading out for the road trip in a bit. I'll report back later today after I refill it.

Oh, and my local store is doing the deal also. Snatch it up while you can!
I filled up again after the trip yesterday, and put the 2nd bottle in. My gauge isn't going to Full until a while later. I'll have to run this tank through to see if it gets better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Yeah I put the chevron in my own car (VUE 2.2L) and the fuel gauge went crazy after adding the techron and did the same strange thing with the tank. I ran it down to E a couple times and it seemed to clear out. My car has never seen over 20 mpg on average though . Not sure whats going on but thats another issue for another day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post
Yeah I put the chevron in my own car (VUE 2.2L) and the fuel gauge went crazy after adding the techron and did the same strange thing with the tank. I ran it down to E a couple times and it seemed to clear out. My car has never seen over 20 mpg on average though . Not sure whats going on but thats another issue for another day.
I ran it down until the needle was on the red line. When I filled up, it took about 14.6 gallons. The low fuel light never came on. It hasn't since I bought it. It comes on when I start it, though. I'm tempted to take a gas can with me and run it until it runs out of gas just to see if anything corrects by having zero gas in the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
bern
bern will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

some of the Vue have an update program for fuel gauge. I don't remember what years but I know my 06 did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Just to chime in here for what it's worth... Our VUE was having problems with the gas gauge readings at one point last year. It would register nearly full and then within the same trip, drop down to 1/2 tank.

Chevron techron through one tank and cleared up immediately.

(Oh, also, our low fuel light works just fine... my wife likes to test it every other week just to make sure it's working I assume. She likes to test her low battery alert on her cell phone a lot as well.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
(Oh, also, our low fuel light works just fine... my wife likes to test it every other week just to make sure it's working I assume. She likes to test her low battery alert on her cell phone a lot as well.)
I has a habit of kicking on the low fuel light too .
That one time when I put the techron into the car the gauge did that weird reading oddly enough. And I believe I took about 12-13 gal of fuel so im sure it filled up. Only a 15-16 gal tank so it only needs about 12-13 for most fillups depending how low you are.

My option if I save money and commute to school was to buy a geo and drive that to school (45 mins away)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
termite
termite will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I have been noticing that after the nozzle click at a fill up, the gauge reads just above the 7/8's position. I will have to try that Techron fuel cleaner too.

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm on the 2nd tank with the Techron in it. After the first 30 or so miles, again, it seems to be reading pretty accurate now. I'll find out the next time I fill up if it really made a difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!