SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Smee
Smee is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Outlook Transmission Issue

I recently experienced a transmission failure in my 08 Outlook XR AWD (mi~17K). The car barely moved forward after stopping at an intersection (I received a few hand signals after getting out of the way). I had the car towed (thanks be to OnStar) to a dealer on Sat AM. At my request they put an analyzer on the car and told me "3rd gear is missing" but they knew nothing further and would contact Saturn technical services on Monday regarding some missing tech orders. During the week following I made several calls inquiring the status (I'm on an east coast visit). Today, Fri following, I am told that they removed the transmission and, based on Saturn specified transmission component testing results, the factory recommended replacing 4 (I think) gears in the power train. My car will supposedly be returned to me on Tues next. Has anyone in the forum experienced a similar problem and what was the resolution of the issue? I'm mildly surprised that Saturn wasn't a bit more aggressive in troubleshooting the problem and with what I think is an 'easter egg' solution since the service rep did not seem completely forthcoming in describing the problem, but I'll be glad to get back on the road again and hope I have no further problems. Prior to this the car seemed to run OK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
whyteknight
whyteknight is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Outlook Transmission Issue

Sad to hear about your troubles, my wife and I just picked up our New 2008 Outlook on Thursday evening. I would assume your trouble is an isolated case.

My father and I run a small family operated transmision shop, I am a rebuilder myself. I guess the biggest concern I have is.....Why are they not installing a factory replacement unit? It appears by what you stated they are disassembling the transmission and repairing what's failed. If it were my car I would be inquiring about this.

I tried to research this vehicle as much as I could before we decided to purchase it, and I haven't seen anyone complain of transmission failures ( please correct me if I am wrong) but have seen some complaints of shift programming issues.

Hope everything works out for you, And only time will tell if future problems will arise for us other outlook owners.

Regards, Luis.

Life goes by pretty fast......if you don't stop and look around,you might miss something!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whyteknight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whyteknight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whyteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
lowboy17
lowboy17 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Outlook Transmission Issue

I've had my 08 Outlook for 2 weeks now, and like Luis said, I too did my research and found no concerns with the transmission except a few saying it was slow shifting down, but other than that, nothing. I too find it "odd" that they would not just replace the tranny with a new unit under the drivetrain warranty, but who knows, this may be limited in the fine print or something. Hope everything works out for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowboy17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowboy17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote