SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default UAW Strikes Outlook Crossover Plant

A new feeditems entry has been added:

UAW Strikes Outlook Crossover Plant

Quote:
From AutoWeek: Production of General Motors' trio of hot-selling crossovers - the Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia - skidded to a halt on Thursday morning when UAW hourly workers struck a GM plant near Lansing, Michigan.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: UAW Strikes Outlook Crossover Plant

Was there ever a strike at Springhill? I don't remember one.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

I know a retired UAW employee. Even he thought the GM assembly line workers were a "bunch of crybabies." His words.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

probably not a good time to go on strike or they will be building them in mexico like the vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
probably not a good time to go on strike or they will be building them in mexico like the vue
I am in clothing retail. This is one of the main reasons 95% of clothing is made outside of the US, workers wanting more and customers not wanting to pay for it. With the way the economy is, anybody with a job should be grateful and take what they have and not complain.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
USN78
USN78 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
With the way the economy is, anybody with a job should be grateful and take what they have and not complain.
I couldnt agree with you more. Greed is getting worse and others are paying for it. Im willing to bet the same people striking are the same ones complaining about the economy. I live in Michigan and all you hear is complaining about jobs and the automotive industry. I think the next time someone decideds to strike , which seems like every other month, you start firing and replacing them. There are plently of people willing to work hard and just be happy that they have a good job.

---
07 Outlook XR AWD Silver Pearl
Black Leather w/ Capt. Chairs
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to USN78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help USN78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
USN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With the way the economy is, anybody with a job should be grateful and take what they have and not complain.
Tempting as it is to agree- and suspicious as I am of the UAW- I don't go as far as you do. The reason unions exist is to get more for their members, and they should have every right to pursue that goal. As far as I am concerned, fundamentally the evil hand here is not the union, but government. I think governments make it very difficult for management to stand up to unions, particularly in states like MI where government is basically in the pocket of unions.

If a company does not want a union, it should be able to state forthrightly, "We are a non-union company. If you promote a labor union, you cannot work here." It should be able to say that about any and all unions, and if they can make it stick, so be it. And a company should be able to state as policy, "If you participate in a labor strike, you will be fired." However, given the proto-fascist, union-inspired legislation that has been enacted for generations now, corporations do not have that legal right. Restoring the basics of a freedom of contract in labor-management relations would do a great deal to free up investment capital in the USA. And that- as opposed to laws imposed by government- is what really drives wages up.

Long live free minds and free markets!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sherwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
The_Folks
The_Folks is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: UAW Strikes Outlook Crossover Plant

Quote:
I am in clothing retail. This is one of the main reasons 95% of clothing is made outside of the US, workers wanting more and customers not wanting to pay for it. With the way the economy is, anybody with a job should be grateful and take what they have and not complain.
So let me get this straight. You work in the clothing retail, and I'll guess you work on a commision / hourly rate. Your boss comes in one day and says " Sales are down, economy is down, gonna have to cut your wage by 50 %".
Tell me would you complain or just accept a 50% pay cut................???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The_Folks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The_Folks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The_Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You work in the clothing retail, and I'll guess you work on a commision / hourly rate. Your boss comes in one day and says " Sales are down, economy is down, gonna have to cut your wage by 50 %".
Tell me would you complain or just accept a 50% pay cut................???

If a company does not want a union, it should be able to state forthrightly, "We are a non-union company. If you promote a labor union, you cannot work here." It should be able to say that about any and all unions, and if they can make it stick, so be it. And a company should be able to state as policy, "If you participate in a labor strike, you will be fired." However, given the proto-fascist, union-inspired legislation that has been enacted for generations now, corporations do not have that legal right. Restoring the basics of a freedom of contract in labor-management relations would do a great deal to free up investment capital in the USA. And that- as opposed to laws imposed by government- is what really drives wages up.
Salary - management. 50% is better than no job at all and you can go claim unemployment for the other 50%, or most of it. If I could not find a job making what I was, I would take the 50% and get a job at McDonalds to help off set. We here in this country (and I mean this in general terms) think we have a right to intitlement. "By George if he's got it than it's mine too", or I'm an American and it is my right to recognized, so give me my share." I live in a right to work state. I have worked in a "union" state and did not enjoy it at all. If you were not a member of a union, you could not work in a convention center or a temp agency as a mover. If you did you had bubba and his buddies breathing down your neck and the owner. The owners of the company are/should be the ones running the company, not being held hostage by the workers.

Now if it were up to me, and had to cut two people back to 50% pay or let one go, the Christian side of me would try to help both, but the management side would make one person mad instead of two, but the person I just let go would have the opportunity to come back if times get better and would be able to collect unemployment pay in the mean time (in most cases).

A union strike does not just affect the union workers and the town they live in. It has a ripple affect accross the country. If goods are not available for sale, merchants/dealers have to cut back on staff. Unemployment then rises across the country and not just in Michigan. As far as the governtment being the problem, it's the people that put them there. Don't like it, give them a bad review at the next election and get rid of them. But sense the largest voting block are union members, that will never happen.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
MrHorspwer
MrHorspwer is on a distinguished road

The thing is, these strikes aren't about wages or jobs. These issues were sorted last Fall during the national contract negoations. These are all local, plant-level strikes. This has nothing to do with the UAW as a whole, but rather with the UAW locals.

The locals are striking based on (comparativly) small time stuff: plant conditions, worker grievances, and other plant-level rules. At the national level, the UAW hasn't been involved. This is all between GM and the local UAW officials.

If you ask me, I think the locals are all pissed at how the national contract went and simply don't want to give any more. Even if those issues aren't the *core* issues they're upset about, if simply out of spite, they're voicing their displeasure over simpler plant issues.

That's my take on it at least.

Being from Michigan, unions are a touchy subject. Does the union serve a purpose? Sure it does. Unions do more than set wages. Unions ensure working conditions remain at an acceptable standard, that safety controls are in place, and that workers can have their voice be heard if they feel they're being sleighted in some way. People are horrified at the working conditions of some other countries. Unions are a big reason we don't have that problem over here.

Yes, this does create increased manufacturing costs. The United States of America isn't a third world country though. Workers here expect to operate in a safe workplace for a reasonable wage. Don't think for a second that any manufacturer wouldn't institute only the minimum safety standards if it meant they could make more money. You can argue what a *reasonable* wage is... and most people think this is all the UAW thinks about. That's a very short-sighted view.

Contract negotiations work both ways. As another pointed out earlier, it is unreasonable to ask an employee to give up 50% of their yearly earnings. It is equally unreasonable to take away a worker's pension, something thye have been budgeting his retirement around. Asking the workers to pitch in for heath care? No so unreasonable since costs are going up. All companies pass on costs... why should the union be an exception? Telling new employees that their income forcast isn't going to be the same as a guy hired in 1973? Not so unreasonable since you're not taking anything away from him.

Much like buying opr selling a used car, you have two unreasonable extremes at each end and they eventually meet somewhere in the middle at a more reasonable conclusion. An automaker doesn't need 50% of everybody's pay to stay in business. If they did, they're already be sunk. What they do need is some breathing room. Instead of eating increased costs, it time for workers to do the right thing and pick up the tab like the rest of us. Automakers need to know that the next generation of workers are going to be paid a more globally competitive wage. Five years down the road, this is going to be a welcome relief in an increasingly tough market. Automakers also need to know that they can leverage their global assets without needing a kitchen pass from the UAW.

Last edited by MrHorspwer; 04-19-2008 at 09:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrHorspwer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrHorspwer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrHorspwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
snobrd
snobrd is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

It amazes me some of the posts on here about the Union workers.
Walk a mile in their shoes before you so easily criticize them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

The great thing about our system of Capitalism is the supply and demand factor. If the demand is high and the supply is low, prices for goods as well as the wages of those that produce them go up. The converse is also true. Everyone has the right to get as much as they can for the job that they do. If you don't like the wages that you get, you can either find another job within your profession or retrain for a better paying job. I don't agree with this 'you should be thankful for what you get' philosophy. If I think I deserve more money for what I do, I'm going to persue it because I deserve a decent wage and I am the master of my own fate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

Unions have gone from great organizations that help workers get what they need to what is wrong with this country in my opinion. I have been involved with unions and they are nothing but greedy and self sustaining. It usually gives power to the laziest and most unreasonably disgruntled employees, it's simply ridiculous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
Unions have gone from great organizations that help workers get what they need to what is wrong with this country in my opinion. I have been involved with unions and they are nothing but greedy and self sustaining. It usually gives power to the laziest and most unreasonably disgruntled employees, it's simply ridiculous.
Good point, the unions are ruining the party for everyone. With things the way they are in the U.S. , the employees should shut their mouths before their jobs are moved to Mexico. They are lucky to even have jobs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote