SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default If Ever There was a Car Company Living the Cinderella Story, It's Saturn

A new feeditems entry has been added:

If Ever There was a Car Company Living the Cinderella Story, It's Saturn

Quote:
From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: After years of having a lineup that included cars so mediocre that Saturn was consigned to forlornly sitting by the automotive industry "fireplace" dreaming of the big dance, while the competition went to the ball and gathered admirers. Not any more.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
MM96
MM96 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Re: If Ever There was a Car Company Living the Cinderella Story, It's Saturn

Spring hill plant is screwed for sure if they build a SUV,,,,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: If Ever There was a Car Company Living the Cinderella Story, It's Saturn

This author must have been out partying with Jill Lajdziak.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They raided the corporate pantry, found some awesome new products that GM's German car company, Opel, was selling, and made a few modifications, transforming them into Saturns. And it worked.
Yeah, it worked alright. I guess that's why I rarely see any 08 models on the roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

If it doesn't have polymer body panels, it ain't a Saturn as far as I'm concerned!

Those who remember what made Saturn special know that what's left is just a marketing name for standard GM stuff now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om9DXeycCco

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM96 View Post
Would you elaborate? The VUE was built there for several years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM96 View Post
Don't worry about Spring Hill. It will do OK

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

The remnants of Saturn that adorned Spring Hill are gone now. It's now just another GM facility buidling the Chevy Traverse (the next Chevy SUV)...

Granted I haven't been to Spring Hill since it's March 2007 shutdown (last time I was there was 2001)....it's a GM facility now.

All of the Saturns that are on the road post 2007 are built in Kansas, Michigan, Delaware, and Belgium (The Astra).

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Something must be wrong with me. For the decades long beating Saturn took from the press I just ignored them and bought Saturns.

Now at least some press is giving them kudos for bringing in Opels and slapping Saturn labels on GM product, but I still ignore them, but now I buy non-Saturn/GM cars.

Perhaps I just go 180 degrees from what car writers say about Saturn, but it has worked pretty good so far.

Also, Saturn of Oakland just died and is no longer in business. They sent me a letter yesterday saying to take my business elsewhere and look for service and work elsewhere as well.

So, I don't know about the rest of you, but when local dealers start shutting doors that really doesn't fill you with confidence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
Something must be wrong with me. For the decades long beating Saturn took from the press I just ignored them and bought Saturns.
Now at least some press is giving them kudos for bringing in Opels and slapping Saturn labels on GM product, but I still ignore them, but now I buy non-Saturn/GM cars.
Perhaps I just go 180 degrees from what car writers say about Saturn, but it has worked pretty good so far.
Also, Saturn of Oakland just died and is no longer in business. They sent me a letter yesterday saying to take my business elsewhere and look for service and work elsewhere as well.
So, I don't know about the rest of you, but when local dealers start shutting doors that really doesn't fill you with confidence.
Why did you buy Saturn in the first place?
I can understand your reason for not buying Saturn now but what is your reason for not buying GM?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Why did you buy Saturn in the first place?
I can understand your reason for not buying Saturn now but what is your reason for not buying GM?

Not trying to beat a dead horse with the polymer, 'feel good,' BBQ's, owners clinics, new sales approach, etc., bandwagon, but that was the big attraction - besides buying a totally new car design from a new (subsidiary) American car company.

The Ion I bought based off the SL2 experience and company name. There were also rumors about polymer disappearing and GM taking over Saturn, which turned out to be true, so I wanted to get another before they disappeared.

As to why not buy GM? Because I can buy a different make/model for less that I like better that holds resale value.

I also have disdain for many GM business practices, such as taking 10+ years to make GM card points apply to Saturn full time in the US, when they would sporadically do so on a whim and then making it seem like a big deal and that they were 'listening,' to customers.

Heck, I'd probably buy a used Vue now in good condition, but can't picture myself in any new GM product over even a Kia, Subaru, BMW, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The remnants of Saturn that adorned Spring Hill are gone now. It's now just another GM facility buidling the Chevy Traverse (the next Chevy SUV)...

Granted I haven't been to Spring Hill since it's March 2007 shutdown (last time I was there was 2001)....it's a GM facility now.

All of the Saturns that are on the road post 2007 are built in Kansas, Michigan, Delaware, and Belgium (The Astra).
You left out Mexico (the VUE)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote