SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
cocapeli51
cocapeli51 is on a distinguished road

Default Replacing 1995 SC2 driver side mirror

After 13 years of relatively maintenance free existence, the number 13 finally got me and my driver door mirror got broke by a nasty yellow bank post! Anyway, called the dealer and was quoted a rediculously high amount for a replacement and it did not include installation labor. Soooo, I was in Auto Zone and they were able to get me a complete replacement part for $37.00. After weeks of retaping my broken mirror to the car, I got pretty familiar with all the parts and decided I could probably replace the mirror myself.

I removed the screw from the black plastic casing on the inside of the door, figuring it would come off, I would remove the bolts and take the broken part off and put the new one on, joke was on me. The casing loosened slightly but I could not get it off. Fearing I would break the black plastic casing I didn't want to get to aggressive so I replaced the screw and called a Saturn dealer for some insight.

Of course they said I should bring it in and they only recommend Saturn replacement parts. I asked for directions on how to remove the casing or if I needed to remove the door panel and all he would tell me was I should bring it in.

I love my little green SC2 , its been very good, safely got me cross country twice but bottom line is after 13 years I am not going to spend $400 or $500 to replace the mirror.

Can anyone help? I need pictures and/or exact directions. Is there a handy do it yourself guide available to buy that shows pictures. I'm pretty handy but I don't want to further damage the car.

I'm new to this sight and look forward to any and all advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cocapeli51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cocapeli51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cocapeli51 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
daddio
daddio is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacing 1995 SC2 driver side mirror

i had to remove the drivers side mirror from my sons '93 sl2 this past weekend. it's easy. when you remove that plastic cover form inside the door, there is a little allen setcrew that holds the lever to operate the mirror in the plastic cover. you'll see the hole for it. loosen it and then remove the 3 bolts holding the mirror on and reverse the process for install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daddio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daddio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Welcome cocapeli. There are very few screws holding the plastic casing you mentioned. On my 94 SL2 and 96 SC2, there are only one or two screws holding that to the inside of the car, the trick to this is, if I recall correctly, that part of that plastic casing on the inside of the door actually goes down into the door, and you need to pull up on it before you pull out. Try wiggling it a few directions and you will see. Take the insulating foam out. Loosen the allen nut that daddio speaks of in his post above. There should be three nuts holding the three bolts from the mirror that go through the door that hold the mirror. Be careful not to drop one of the three nuts inside of the door like I did. Switch out the mirrors. As you put the the new mirror on be careful for the placement of the exterior trim so it lines up, put the nuts on without dropping them inside the the door. Put the insulating foam back in, if you paid attention it might stuff in the way it came out. Install the plastic casing on the inside of the door, you will have to wiggle it a little to get it into place, then install the retainer screw for the plastic casing on the inside and you are done. Passenger electric mirror is pretty much the same except for the addition of the electrical connector.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely after 34K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Nobody has bothered to ask if it's a manual or power mirror. If it's manual, they are correct, there is a 2mm allen head set screw for the mirror glass adjustment knob that must be removed before you can get to the fasteners for the mirror itself. The remote only installs one way so it should be pretty easy to reinstall once you have it out. There are 3 10mm nuts holding the mirror to the car. A power mirror is similar, only without the set screw and the remote for the mirror.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Nobody has bothered to ask if it's a manual or power mirror.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since its a 1995 SC2 we are talking about, power drivers side mirrors were not even an option since it is a 1st gen. None of my near-fully-optioned Saturns from 94, 95, 96 had a power drivers side mirror.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely after 34K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
cocapeli51
cocapeli51 is on a distinguished road

It is a manul mirror not power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cocapeli51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cocapeli51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cocapeli51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

I took mine off to get the door skin off to replace a broken door latch and found a pile of rust and scale under the mirror mounting surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since its a 1995 SC2 we are talking about, power drivers side mirrors were not even an option since it is a 1st gen. None of my near-fully-optioned Saturns from 94, 95, 96 had a power drivers side mirror.
I really couldn't tell ya...I haven't taken the time to memorize option availability for all of the years. I can't in my wildest dreams imagine a power mirror wasn't one of them though. Regardless, it's a standard question to ask when talking about an outside mirror. Even if it didn't come with one from the factory, it doesn't mean sometime over the past 13 years someone didn't put one in there.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote