SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
tjd83
tjd83 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Separate fuel filter & regulator?

With over 107K on the clock, I figure I'm overdue for a fuel filter. So I went shopping for one, and was shocked at the prices! The Saturn dealer told me why - the filter has a built-in pressure regulator. Ugh, I'm not really liking the idea of spending close to $100 per 30K miles, in addition to the oil, filter, air filter, etc. I spoke with a friend of mine (who is a certificed mechanic & all-around hot-rod guy as well), and he had an interesting suggestion, so I thought I would bring it up here to see what those with more experience think.

He suggested replacing the stock filter with a plain in-line filter and a separate pressure regulator, both of which ought to be cheaper that the combined specialized part in there now. It would make maintenance easier and cheaper. It would also allow me to run a higher pressure to the injectors in the future (assuming the fuel pump can handle it), if and when I feel like doing something silly like putting a turbo in the car.

The car in question is a '99 SC2. My philosiphy is that I like to keep the car well maintained, replace parts with better than stock when practical, and hopefully get several hundred thousand miles out of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tjd83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tjd83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tjd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Separate fuel filter & regulator?

These will also work and are cheaper:

NAPA FIL3100 - I got this one for about $40.
FRAM G9370
WIX 33100
Autozone FF897
Purolator F65501

Technically, you could do a separate filter and regulator, but I wouldn't recommend it.

30k? I believe the replacement interval is 100k for the fuel filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd83 View Post
With over 107K on the clock, I figure I'm overdue for a fuel filter. So I went shopping for one, and was shocked at the prices! The Saturn dealer told me why - the filter has a built-in pressure regulator. Ugh, I'm not really liking the idea of spending close to $100 per 30K miles, in addition to the oil, filter, air filter, etc. I spoke with a friend of mine (who is a certificed mechanic & all-around hot-rod guy as well), and he had an interesting suggestion, so I thought I would bring it up here to see what those with more experience think.

He suggested replacing the stock filter with a plain in-line filter and a separate pressure regulator, both of which ought to be cheaper that the combined specialized part in there now. It would make maintenance easier and cheaper. It would also allow me to run a higher pressure to the injectors in the future (assuming the fuel pump can handle it), if and when I feel like doing something silly like putting a turbo in the car.

The car in question is a '99 SC2. My philosiphy is that I like to keep the car well maintained, replace parts with better than stock when practical, and hopefully get several hundred thousand miles out of it.
shop around. www.rockauto.com has your filter for $55.79.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
tjd83

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlem7 View Post
These will also work and are cheaper:

NAPA FIL3100 - I got this one for about $40.
FRAM G9370
WIX 33100
Autozone FF897
Purolator F65501
Thanks for the suggestion - I prefer to get parts from NAPA anyway, so I'll call them.

Quote:
Technically, you could do a separate filter and regulator, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Out of curiosity, why not?

Quote:
30k? I believe the replacement interval is 100k for the fuel filter.
The guy at the dealership parts couter told me 30k, which sounded about right for a regular filter, but not considering the price of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tjd83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

The fuel filter on your car does not get changed every 30k miles. I believe that it is 100k miles. works out to about the same of less than the older S-series.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I thought it was every 60K. Still probably not often enough to worry about too much. I'd just stick with the stock one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

the 1998-2002 fuel pressure regular/fuel filter is replaced every 100,000 miles. get an OEM one from Saturn and be done with it. attempting to replace it with a 1991-97 style fuel filter and separate fuel pressure regulator will probably cost you more than the cost of just replacing the fuel filter/regulator combo on a 1998-2002 Saturn since there's more to it than just swapping on a filter and regulator. the 1991-97 style fuel filters were replaced at 48-60,000 mile intervals if my memory is correct from when I had a 1992 SC and 1996 SC2. look in your Saturn S-Series Handbook for the service intervals.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
tjd83

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
the 1998-2002 fuel pressure regular/fuel filter is replaced every 100,000 miles. get an OEM one from Saturn and be done with it.
Fair enough. Is there a reason to buy it from Saturn, or will any suitable model work as well? Specifically, I am thinking of the NAPA part listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
A useful link, but kind of funny, considering that Autozone told me they can't get the part at all. Told me it was a "lifetime part, you have to get it from a dealer."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

You want to go to NAPA/advanced auto/your favorite autostore and ask for a filter for a 2.2L s-10 flex fuel. This is the same exact part the s-series uses just cheaper. And yes it does work as both Barnowl and Richpin (who was the first to realize this) have used them

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
97sleeper
97sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
A useful link, but kind of funny, considering that Autozone told me they can't get the part at all. Told me it was a "lifetime part, you have to get it from a dealer."
Thats funny, cause I bought mine from my guys over at the "Zone". I've been in there so much in the past 1.5 years that they actually set up a discount account through a dealership that I used to work for......and they still let me use it. I think it was like $60 with tax.

A good Saturn is a good sleeper -J. Beanan
97 SL2
-N/A sleeper build, check my profile the list
93 Ford Exploder
-5spd 4WD 4.0L V6
-800W sound system
-4 100W lights

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
airon1974
airon1974 will become famous soon enoughairon1974 will become famous soon enough

1999 SC2

Has anyone had any issues with the Napa Gold FIL3100 filter. I have a $10 off coupon so it will only cost me 43, but I noticed the outer dimensions are a bit different???? Thanks, Aaron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to airon1974's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help airon1974 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
airon1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
You want to go to NAPA/advanced auto/your favorite autostore and ask for a filter for a 2.2L s-10 flex fuel. This is the same exact part the s-series uses just cheaper. And yes it does work as both Barnowl and Richpin (who was the first to realize this) have used them

It is far from identical and has caused problems. richpin no longer uses it. Use a WIX 33731 at $54.00 from RockAuto Or the NAPA equivilant to that WIX number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

It's 100k interval, and many, many people have gotten far more miles than that out of them without issue. I replaced mine at about 165k miles, and it still wasn't causing issues.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
The guy at the dealership parts couter told me 30k, which sounded about right for a regular filter, but not considering the price of these.
Your FIRST reference for such things should be the owner's manual. I've never bought a used car without the owner's manual (retaining the manual is an indicator of the previous owner's responsibility), but a manual on eBay costs less than just about any one maintenance part that you could avoid buying by referencing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Your FIRST reference for such things should be the owner's manual. I've never bought a used car without the owner's manual (retaining the manual is an indicator of the previous owner's responsibility), but a manual on eBay costs less than just about any one maintenance part that you could avoid buying by referencing it.
Not sure you can really judge whether they retained the manual by whether it's in the car - they could have easily put it on a shelf in the garage for easy reference and simply not put it back in the car when they sold it. In fact, how many owners leave the manual in their glove box and never, ever, ever look at it?

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote