SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Baxter
Baxter is on a distinguished road

Default 03 Saturn Vue throttle problems?

I just bought a 2003 Vue from Carmax: 2.2l 4cyl 5-speed manual. It needed some work before I got it (valve replacement I think, code was P0302 cylinder misfire). Now it is reporting P1516 and sometimes P1515 (throttle position related), and it is enforcing the Reduced Power mode. It drives well enough to limp in to the dealer for my Monday appointment but that's it. I don't really know what I'm doing diagnosis-wise, but I know a couple of things:

1. Throttle plate opens fine by hand, and springs back closed when released.
2. My OBDII scanner (ScanGauge II) reports a change in throttle position when I move the throttle plate by hand.
3. The scanner does not report a change in throttle position when the accelerator is pressed, whether the engine is running or not.
4. Throttle plate flutters quickly a few times when the engine is started.
5. The voltage on some wire connected to the top of the throttle changes in the 3-5 volt range relative to ground when the accelerator pedal is pressed.
6. Idle is very rough.
7. This all began when I stalled the car right after starting it by being careless with the clutch. Twice in a row. After that it wouldn't start at all until the next morning, when the trouble codes started appearing.

I couldn't find any TSBs that seemed relevant, not that I know where to look or how to tell if they're relevant.

I am wondering if I need to back out of this deal (two major mechanical problems in two weeks?). Any thoughts on whether this car will be fine once this is repaired, or am I doomed to repeated service visits if I keep this thing? I should still have a day or two to back out under Carmax's refund policy. But I like the car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baxter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baxter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
TheFonz
TheFonz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 03 Saturn Vue throttle problems?

these dtcs are for thottle position correlation i believe...?? if you just bought the car from car max bring it back to them and tell them to fix it. From what your describing is that you have a bad throttle body or throttle actuator controller.. The 2 tps sensors inside read eachother and if they differ for a few seconds or milliseconds then you get a ses lamp with reduced power. Some need a new connector and wiring to the throttle actuator.. GL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheFonz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheFonz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

I had the throttle body cleaned after 50K miles. It wasn't throwing any codes, but the overall "smoothness" in acceleration was better.

CarMax should do this for you. If not, ask them to find you another.

And BTW, beware of the VTI automatic transmissions that are on the 02, 03, (and 05?) VUEs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Baxter
Baxter is on a distinguished road

Thanks, y'all. It's going to carmax tomorrow. Manual transmission, by the way; I have indeed avoided the VTI. :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baxter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baxter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote