SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
whitebluesc2
whitebluesc2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 SC2
Dazed Exhaust Resonator

Reading some threads about the exhaust resonators being a POS from mostly the 00 SC2's. Well, I just found the leak that I started to hear a couple days ago right on the weld...so, question I have is if I just weld a simple 2.5" pipe to length, which I am pretty sure is stock size, in place of the resonator, is that smog legal? Reason I ask is that I am in a crunch right now and so much crap is going wrong with the car one month before smog with SES light coming on for EVAP leak and now this. That's life I guess. I do think there might be a correlation though. Thx guys.

2002 Saturn SC2 DOHC 1.9L 65k
2000 Saturn SC2 DOHC 1.9L 150k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whitebluesc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whitebluesc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whitebluesc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Exhaust Resonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebluesc2 View Post
Reading some threads about the exhaust resonators being a POS from mostly the 00 SC2's. Well, I just found the leak that I started to hear a couple days ago right on the weld...so, question I have is if I just weld a simple 2.5" pipe to length, which I am pretty sure is stock size, in place of the resonator, is that smog legal? Reason I ask is that I am in a crunch right now and so much crap is going wrong with the car one month before smog with SES light coming on for EVAP leak and now this. That's life I guess. I do think there might be a correlation though. Thx guys.
the resonator is just for noise cancellation, not smog. it'll sound like poop w/o it, but you don't 'need' it. and it's not 2.5", more like 1 3/4" or 1 7/8", small. the systems are stainless, but the welds rust. maybe you can get it welded just long enough to get by, until you can get it replaced.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

I had the resonator replaced with pipe on a 99 and the change in sound was barely noticable.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

The weld on my resonator broke loose ,I just had it welded back ,it has been fine for a good long time now, with no problems (think this is pretty common )
if it couldn't be fixed ,I would probably see about putting a glasspack muffler, in there to sorta do the same job ,it is only to smooth out the rasp n stuff.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
akasnacker
akasnacker is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Hi I need to spot weld or replace my resonator? I have a noisy resonator its been that way for a while, what I would like to know is the resonator going bad " leaky weld" going to effect my horse power of my 1999 Saturn SC2 ? In the other posts I read it says it wont effect my smog but I want to know if I should fix it because if its OK just being noisy so be it but if it will effect my horse power making a weaker engine & less mileage then I should fix it do you or anyone else here know if by having a leaky resonator making noise etc effects your power of the engine making it lose power & getting less miles per gallon?
Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me?
Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akasnacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akasnacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
akasnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akasnacker View Post
Hi ...anyone else here know if by having a leaky resonator making noise etc effects your power of the engine making it lose power & getting less miles per gallon?
Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me?
Paul
I didn’t notice any change in mileage with a leaky exhaust (see below)

My first two Resonators were the can with rolled (crimped) ends. They both cracked from fatigue. The crack was on the disk where the pipe meets the can. The last one eventually leaked from both ends.

The current Resonator is the tapered “cherry bomb” type.

My guess is the engine is happy as long as everything is intact up to the end of the Cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote