SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

Default oil filter?

so i got my oil changed at the stealership right after i bought the truck.
but when i was trying to diagnose where a noise i was hearing from before the oil change i noticed a yellow oil filter.
so after the oil change i see a yellow filter?
crawled underneath it and its says penzoil?
WTF?
is their any reason a dealership would use a penzoil filter?
i cant see it being a coincidince?and i know the s series they use their own saturn oil filters?
wtf did i just get charged 30$ for nothing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: oil filter?

ummm, ask the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
One of my ex-stealerships failed to notice I had written the date on a filter I installed the time before I had them do the next scheduled oil change. After I did the NEXT oil change Saturn received a scathing nasty-gram from moi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I'd be more concerned that they filled the crankcase with Penzoil than with the type of filter they used.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
nitroussaturn

i dont think they did anything thats the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
so i got my oil changed at the stealership right after i bought the truck.
but when i was trying to diagnose where a noise i was hearing from before the oil change i noticed a yellow oil filter.
so after the oil change i see a yellow filter?
crawled underneath it and its says penzoil?
WTF?
is their any reason a dealership would use a penzoil filter?
i cant see it being a coincidince?and i know the s series they use their own saturn oil filters?
Penzoil was probably the cheapest filter they could buy, and no doubt the cheapest generic oil was used. The dealers nowdays are doing everything they can to maximize their profits.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Does anybody pay attention to anything anymore??

P-e-n-n-z-o-i-l

As to the original question, I would be at that dealership first thing tomorrow morning and demand they go to their parts department and get me a Pennzoil filter for my vehicle. If they can't, then you have your answer. I would go up one side of them and down the other.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
nitroussaturn

thanks thats exactley what i plan on doing!
i dont see why a dealership would put on a penzoil filter in the first place!
nevermind the fact it had one on their before i brought it to them,the sticker from when i bought it it the windsheild said penzoil lube.
and it looks in the same exact rotation as the one that was on their!
this same freaking dealership left my oil cap on my old sc2 with the first gen valve cover<no baffles>,needless to day their was oil all over my engine bay!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

As each day goes by, there's more and more truth to the old adage: If you want it done right, do it yourself!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
As each day goes by, there's more and more truth to the old adage: If you want it done right, do it yourself!
When it comes to oil changes, that is definitely true. The dealer is always going to use the cheapest bulk oil they can find. I've never heard of them using aftermarket filters though since that is too obvious and the customer is likely to notice. I suspect they just didn't change the filter. Needless to say, I wouldn't trust an outfit like that to check my air pressure...much less work on my powertrain. Run away.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
I'd be more concerned that they filled the crankcase with Penzoil than with the type of filter they used.
You must not spend any time over at BITOG.

"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greyhound bus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greyhound bus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound bus View Post
You must not spend any time over at BITOG.
I actually don't. I just wouldn't put Penzoil in anything.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Well if you did, you might find out that Pennzoils UOA's are consistently among the very best out there and most of the "oilophiles" rank their products among the best, especially considering price and availability. Pennzoil uses one of the best additive packages used in an oil at any price. 30 year old wives tales like "Pennzoil causes sludge" won't cut it with the people over there. I use Pennzoil in every 4 stroke engine I ever owned, from a 41 year old Wisconsin TRA10D to our 2007 Vue. I'm still waiting for the sky to fall.

2007 Vue FWD V6- Storm Gray, GT velour seat covers, Trailer hitch, Saturn hitch cover, Cargo mat, Vent Visors, Rear air deflector, Splash guards, Custom Saturn front license plate, Chrome exhaust tip.

"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greyhound bus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greyhound bus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Good for you. However, I won't ever put it in any of my engines.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound bus View Post
Well if you did, you might find out that Pennzoils UOA's are consistently among the very best out there and most of the "oilophiles" rank their products among the best, especially considering price and availability. Pennzoil uses one of the best additive packages used in an oil at any price. 30 year old wives tales like "Pennzoil causes sludge" won't cut it with the people over there. I use Pennzoil in every 4 stroke engine I ever owned, from a 41 year old Wisconsin TRA10D to our 2007 Vue. I'm still waiting for the sky to fall.

2007 Vue FWD V6- Storm Gray, GT velour seat covers, Trailer hitch, Saturn hitch cover, Cargo mat, Vent Visors, Rear air deflector, Splash guards, Custom Saturn front license plate, Chrome exhaust tip.
I've used their Platinum full synthetic a few times when Mobil1 wasn't handy. Walmart was selling 5qt jugs of it for under $20. Lately, I can't seem to find any PP in 5W-20.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
nitroussaturn

well i went to the dealer today,sure enough they were able to show me penzoil filters...they said they have to use them to stay competitive.
also said next time ask for a factory filter they will put one on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!