SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
alam99
alam99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Astra reviewed at Autoblog.com

Autoblog.com has a nice article reviewing the Saturn Astra. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
During our time behind the wheel of the Astra, people took notice -- young people especially. At one point I was stopped at a red light when I got the distinct impression that someone was staring at me. I looked to the right and saw three young ladies in a beat-up Pontiac Grand Am looking my way. Just as I grinned and thought, "Still got it!" it became obvious that their attention was fixed on the car. How many Saturns in the past five years have elicited that type of response from teenagers?
The rest is available at: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/i...-saturn-astra/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alam99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alam99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Astra reviewed at Autoblog.com

Good review.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
to11mtm
to11mtm is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I just don't get it.

I looked at the Astras on display at NAIA. I wasn't terribly thrilled. They seemed like good cars, but I felt like they didn't bring much new to the table. That coupled with the added price compared to Saturn's old compacts and lower engine performance compared to the ION... I just wonder why so many auto critics welcome the Astra while bashing the ION in the same breath?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to to11mtm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help to11mtm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
to11mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
Jamis
Jamis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by to11mtm View Post
I just don't get it.

I looked at the Astras on display at NAIA. I wasn't terribly thrilled. They seemed like good cars, but I felt like they didn't bring much new to the table. That coupled with the added price compared to Saturn's old compacts and lower engine performance compared to the ION... I just wonder why so many auto critics welcome the Astra while bashing the ION in the same breath?
Go drive one, I think you'll understand then.

What's in your garage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jamis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jamis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
BuySaturn
BuySaturn is on a distinguished road

I too don't get it. I mean the vehicle has really great driving dynamics, is quite attractive, and has a quality interior. Things that should have been doable in the original S-series cars, but always weren't, and never all at the same time. Then there is all this discussion about how cars like this are cool again because they are so fuel efficient. FUEL EFFICIENT?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? My 1986 Buick Le Sabre V6 got 30 mpg on the highway, and it was probably had better accelleration, even with an auto trans, and held more people to boot. I'd rather have an old S-series single cam that got 40mpg with the manual trans.

Furthermore, the Astra is so good dynamically, that a few flaws...that should be easy to rectify, but weren't... stand out even more glaringly so.
1. Awkward controls. I know one gets used to them, but labeling the switchgear for it's intended country of sale seems like a no brainer.
2. Like it or not, there are not enough, nor sufficiently designed cupholders in this vehicle. I know there are aftermarket remedies on the way, but shouldn't it have just been done right the first time so I don't have to investigate this lack of proper engineering, and spend even more money to make the car useful? Have you seen the cupholder on the current Nissan Sentra? Like the Guinness ad says....BRILLIANT!!!
3. iPod connectivity. Considering the target market, and the direct competitor offerings, this is just a ridiculous oversite.
4. Maintenance Schedule. Again, I'll take my old S-series in a heartbeat as far as this bunch of unusual intervals and lack of long term non-replacement compnenets that have been built into this car. This one could be expensive to keep properly maintained.

I just can't help but think that at the end of the day, other than there being fewer total units on the road, and the exclusivity that reality brings, why would anyone buy this car over the Mazda 3?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BuySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote