SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
HotCookCpl
HotCookCpl is on a distinguished road

Default P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction on 2002 SL-2

I've been on this forum before with questions about my P0410 error code. It has taken me months to track down exactly what's been going on and I thought I'd post my findings for those of you struggling with a similar issue:

Car:
Saturn 2002 SL-2

Symptoms:
-Service engine light comes on while driving 20-30 minutes.
-Service engine light comes on shortly after starting the car.

Error Conditions:
This DTC will determine if the air pump is operating, by detecting when H02s indicates a lean condition present during rich open loop operation.
Criteria: Heated 02 Sensor < 300 mVolts during open loop operation.
Secondary parameters and enabling conditions:
No MAP, IAT ECT, TPS, 02, Fuel Trim, EGR, Misfire, P01628, P01635 Codes.
Traction control not in operation
11 < Battery Voltage < 18
4BC (39.2BF) < coolant < 79BC (174.2BF)
Mat > 0BC (32BF)
RPM < 3200
air/fuel ratio > 12

Things done:
-Tested Air Pump directly on battery (ran)
-Water dripped out of air pump when removed from car (no voltage applied)
-Water ran out of the air pump the second time I tested it with voltage applied
-Bench tested Solenoid on 12V power supply [GOOD]
-Inspected plastic tubes for blockages and cracks [GOOD]
-Removed and cleaned oily carbon build-up from metal tube that runs from Diverter Valve to Manifold [A little build-up, this may have been a bit of a problem]
-Cleaned small ports on the exhaust manifold leading from the tube mentioned above [A little build-up, this may have been a bit of a problem]
-Cleaned EGR (although I learned after that this may not be related.)
-Checked to be sure tube over engine is connected at both ends [GOOD]
-Replaced exhaust manifold O2 sensor, front sensor (this made the SES come one more frequently)
-Checked voltage at air pump connector (14+ V) [GOOD]
-Tested relay on the bench, when +12V is applied to the coil the contact closes and continuity is good [GOOD]
-Tested relay in car with 6” extension wires so I could verify function [GOOD]
-Checked continuity between relay and air pump connector [GOOD]
-Checked continuity between air pump connector and ground strap behind coolant reservoir [as I moved the pump connector around I found this connection was very intermittent]
-Traced the ground wire to a ground splice block right below the air pump [THIS CONNECTION WAS VERY INTERMITTENT]
-Found the intermittent ground connection in the ground splice block, cleaned it and put it back together [GOOD, no air pump problems since, FINALLY!]

Notes:
-When the car is first started and the air pump hose is disconnected from the diverter, pressure can be felt at the input of the diverter until the solenoid valve closes. (This seems correct)
-The air pump is not coming on when the solenoid valve is open. (Test fuse, check for voltage when the pump is connected)
-Fixing the air pump issue at the ground splice block seems to have loosened some of the other ground connections in the ground splice block (this will need to be fixed as this is affecting the blinkers, brake lights and possibly the windshield washer pump).

Part Numbers:
12177236 Omron 7236 Air Pump Relay

I hope this helps others out there with similar problems. I'm not a car guy and I actually prefer to have someone else work on my cars, but, this car has a lot of miles on it and is getting a bit tired. So I'm saving a little money doing the work myself. Good luck to others doing their own work and thank you to all those who helped me in my other threads.
HotCookCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
szumi
szumi will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
Default Re: P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction on 2002 SL-2

Nice writeup. I'm trying to figure out a P0304 P0341 P0410 P0507 problem. Now I know that the P0410 is the air pump.

Szumi
216K miles, she kept me alive in a head on. RIP Sally.
szumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
doctari
doctari is on a distinguished road

just went through this, replaced air pump and solenoid first, still getting PO410 code, getting water in the pump still after changing both parts.

the water is coming from the exhaust through the tube connecting the valve and the exhaust manifold. It is not closing all the way and allowing exhaust gas and water to get back into the air pump.

replace your:

VALVE ASM-SECD AIR INJN
Saturn p/n 2121-0000

runs $60-$110
doctari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
HotCookCpl

I found that the water build up was because the air pump wasn't running properly all the time. Once I fixed the ground problem it ran properly and I don't have water in the pump any more. God luck.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
deekster_caddy
deekster_caddy is on a distinguished road

Hi,
First post on this site.

I am looking into the same problem with a 2000 SL2 getting a P0410 code. Before I discovered this site and this post on my own I did many of the same troubleshooting procedures described in the first post of this thread. I bench tested the air pump, vacuum solenoid and vacuum valve (with a vacuum pump). All are working properly. There is voltage to the pump and solenoid after the cold start, and I can hear the exhaust pulse change through the air pump when the vacuum actuated valves open (I manipulated the valves manually with my vacuum pump). The Air pump works fine when bench testing to 12 volts, but perhaps I'm having that ground problem mentioned above, the ground terminals look pretty rusty. Is there anything else to look for?

We also have a P0137 code, O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I replaced the front O2 last year for Preventative Maintenance, so is this code for the rear O2 or are there more than 2 on this car??

At 120K miles on the car, it's been very reliable (one owner) and this is the only issue we've had to deal with.

Great site!

Thanks for any ideas
-Derek

(P.S. I like the 'old thread warning' button...)
deekster_caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, your observation of a rusted ground connection should be the reason for the non-working/intermittent air injection system problem. As soon as you found this condition it should be obvious that poor connections from a rusted terminal greatly contributes to many other electrical problems requiring clean electrical ground connections. Remove the connections and wirebrush everything as clean as possible to expose bare metal as this is the only sure way of having a clean electrical connection for circuits to work. After reconnecting, dab some grease onto the exposed area otherwise corrosion begins immediately. Dielectric grease should work also to prevent oxidation.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
deekster_caddy

Thanks fdryer

I wire brushed the contacts to that ground distro block (although they actually looked really good once the bolt was out), and added a star washer. I had the battery disconnected while I was playing with the grounds (checked the ground under the airbox too), so the codes are gone for now. I'll spray that ground bolt with battery terminal protector and see how it goes from there.

Oh, I also found the ground strap from the pass. side strut tower that connects to the top of the timing cover/top engine mount - one of the three large bolts going into the timing cover had been overtightened and stripped. The ground strap there was loose!! I removed one of the other large bolts and moved the ground strap over to it. Hopefully all this will clear up our issues.

-Derek
Old 05-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
deekster_caddy

Well, I found another issue. After a cold start, the pump still runs intermittently, even though voltage is in the wire harness. I found that wiggling the plug/connector mounted on top of the electric motor would cause the pump to turn on/off. I believe that connection is the cause of the problem. I'm going to eliminate the plug and hardwire it tomorrow, I'll report back on whether or not this cured the problem.

-Derek
Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
deekster_caddy

To my surprise, the weatherproof plug at the motor was indeed bad. I replaced it with a better two-wire plug and it works every time now.

Hope this can help somebody else chasing this problem.

-Derek
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
HotCookCpl

Just a note to add to my comments above...

The main ground bolt to chassis was in pretty good condition on my car. The issue was the the individual connection point in the ground distribution block. It took me a long time to get the contact out. Once I did I could see how bad things were and I cleaned them up. If I have problems in the future I will replace the distribution block completely.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
speedie105
speedie105 is on a distinguished road

I took off the ground block and just cleaned the end that bolted to the car. I did a continuity test on the black wire to the pump and the ground block. I have good continuity. I do not see any voltage at the plug though. Sometimes the pump comes on and sometimes it does not. I checked the relay and the fuse. both are good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. How do you get each individual wire out of the block??

Last edited by speedie105; 12-14-2008 at 12:37 AM.
speedie105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
HotCookCpl

OK, after all this time and having this this issue fixed and failing on and off it's failing again. It looks like the air injection valve (smallish device at the top of the engine with two small hose connections and a two position connector) is now bad. My questions...

-What is this device really called?
-Does anyone know the Saturn part number?
-Where can I get one?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Diverter valve

Part # is 21210000

see here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169985

Looks like a lot of Gen 3's are having this problem...
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
HotCookCpl

I've been through Richpin's video and (so far) I don't think I need the diverter valve. I need what he calls the "switch" in his video. It's the small solenoid actuated valve (in the video it's the part with the round pinkish body, black metal frame and pinkish electrical connector) with the two small (approx. 1/8" to 1/4" diameter) hoses.

Can I get this separate from the diverter valve or do I have to buy it as a complete assembly? If I can get it separately what is it called and what's the part number?

Does anyone have an exploded view with part number for this area of the car they can post?

Richpin's video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=dIrmkxj6wJE

Thank you.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
HotCookCpl

I think I found what I am looking for on this page:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...modelYear=1999

Item 7 is P/N 21210001, SOLENOID. Emission Control System.

I don't think I'm wrong with the P/N, but if anyone has any further comments please post them. I can use all the insight I can get. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
afmech
afmech is on a distinguished road

Mad Re: P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction on 2002 SL-2

k, so the final verdict on this issue IS: _______________. I have been tracking the possible issues with this damn code for nearly 9 months now. I R2 ALL of the secondary air intake lines - the pump - the solenoid - the diverter valve - o2 valves - etc - and now I just got done changing the intake gasket. I have tried damn near everything that corresponds to this code ( or at least everything that I have been able to research on it ) and this code wont go away. It seems that this 'generic code' ,as the code reader calls it, is damn near impossible to trace without throwing my money away on some GM mechanic who has the MOST likely cause written in a book somewhere. And theyll charge me $300 for a part I COULD have bought and installed myself for $40. Worst of all, I dont HAVE $300 anymore and if this code isnt cleared, then the car WONT pass smog in Ca. rendering the car -------> TRASH.

Anyone surprised saturn went out of business??
afmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
ricter123
ricter123 is on a distinguished road

I have been researching this problem for quite a while now. I loook at the video very helpful. I never had the water issue as i live in vegas . I cleaned and check the pump the valve the air hose everything working fine i alwats was able to register it for smog but now being sick and tried i reviewed all info. I finally took off the minfold and the passages were clogged the videos don't get that far into to it. but before i but the intake back on i found that the hole on the head were also clogged up so I cleaned them. tommorrow i am puttingeverything baclk together. cross my fingers hope this helps some one
ricter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
ricter123
ricter123 is on a distinguished road

well finally it worked for me the carbon build up behind the exhaust mainfold and cleaning out the holes in the head has finally cleared the P0410 code agh been way to long on this problem. i have a 2001 saturn my dauthers car 206,000 miles on it and still get great miles per gallon
ricter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

When those holes in the head are plugged, there is no place for the injected air to go. The clean out is a tedious job, but now that it is done, you should not have to worry about it for years.
BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #20
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
. you should not have to worry about it for years.
We can only hope. This is one of those issues that can have a variety of solutions. Hence, it can take some patience.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote