SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
BuckyBadger
BuckyBadger is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Saturn Ion Check Engine Light

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion 3 with only 8500 miles. Tonight, while driving home from the mountains (downhill) the check engine light came on. I am driving back into the mountain early tomorrow morning so I was wondering if a tech whiz could help. It is the check engine light that the manual said could be emission control failure. It is on steady. The manual suggested it could be wrong tires (just put on new tires), bad fuel (just filled it up), or a loose gas cap (pulled over and checked it on the way down the mountains). Is this serious, I am going to climb the mountains again tomorrow.

This is my third Saturn and second Saturn Ion. I am pretty bummed that a seemingly serious check engine light came on after 8500 miles. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuckyBadger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuckyBadger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BuckyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
IonVP
IonVP is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Ion Check Engine Light

Since you just filled up, I bet that is your problem. I haven't been driving my Ion through the mountains, but if the threads are off just a little, my gas cap is loose and I get the check engine light. It takes a few on-off cycles to reset, but have never had any problems. Other than glowing yellow light annoying the beejesus out of me while driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonVP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonVP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: 2007 Saturn Ion Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBadger View Post
I have a 2007 Saturn Ion 3 with only 8500 miles.
What did OnStar say? Sometimes the remote diagnostics are helpful, sometimes not.
Can't hurt to ask, you already paid for it.

Election 08
Leave no non-performing incumbent employed!
If they haven't delivered on their campaign promises yet, do you think they will in yet ANOTHER term?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

onstar may be able to answer your questions as dave said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: 2007 Saturn Ion Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
onstar may be able to answer your questions as dave said.
MAY ... don't count on it.
I had a similar issue, and they were able to tell me it was an emissions issue, no further detail.
It turned out to be a known sensor issue, fixable with software ... but On* couldn't pinpoint anything beyond an emissions issue.
Regardless, it should be a warranty repair, so if On* can't pinpoint, they should at least be able to tell you if it is serious, so get an appointment at the dealer your next chance, and make THEM figure it out.

Election 08
Leave no non-performing incumbent employed!
If they haven't delivered on their campaign promises yet, do you think they will in yet ANOTHER term?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Other than setting up an appointment with Saturn service to cover yourself under warranty, have you stopped by any local Autozone, NAPA, Kragen, Pepboys, etc., to have them scan your car for free? It won't cost you anything but time if its a minor anoyance like the gas cap issue but you'll never know unless you're near one place for the free reading before turning to Saturn. Post the code(s) if any and/or look them up yourself in the How-to library on page 5 titled OBD II Powertrain Codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
MAY ... don't count on it.
I had a similar issue, and they were able to tell me it was an emissions issue, no further detail.
It turned out to be a known sensor issue, fixable with software ... but On* couldn't pinpoint anything beyond an emissions issue.
Regardless, it should be a warranty repair, so if On* can't pinpoint, they should at least be able to tell you if it is serious, so get an appointment at the dealer your next chance, and make THEM figure it out.
keyword: "may"

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
may1 Audio Help /meɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person may, 2nd may or (Archaic) may·est or mayst, 3rd may; present plural may; past might.
1. (used to express possibility): It may rain.
2. (used to express opportunity or permission): You may enter.
3. (used to express contingency, esp. in clauses indicating condition, concession, purpose, result, etc.): I may be wrong but I think you would be wise to go. Times may change but human nature stays the same.
4. (used to express wish or prayer): May you live to an old age.
5. Archaic. (used to express ability or power.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote