SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
neal779
neal779 is on a distinguished road

Default Wheel Bearing Repair Cost Range?

hey guys,

From the research I've done in this forum and on the web, I think that my front passenger side wheel bearing is going out on my 03 Ion and I need to get it replaced.

Anyone have a guess as to a ballpark range that it may cost (parts and labor) I know there's a number of different factors that could change the price... I just have no idea if I'm looking at a $200 or a $1000 repair.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Neal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neal779's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neal779 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neal779 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Wheel Bearing Repair Cost Range?

My passenger side wheel bearing started to make noise, so I replaced both.

It cost ~$120/each for TIMKEN wheel bearings. I bought it from a wholesale auto store

World Discounts Auto Parts

I learned from my last car that if you replace one, you might as well replace both.

Let me know how it works out for you, I know that some places like AutoZone and such charge much too much for the same part you can get elsewhere cheaper.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
rev kev
rev kev is on a distinguished road

So I looked you guys up for help and Id did repair my right front hub/beraing at ho,e 134.00 plus tax and to my surprise I had a heck of time getting the bearing out - finaly beat on it long enough - the rim was chocked full of lock-tight (this is the way it came from the factory) and it was strange I cleaning the lock tight off and as I put the new bearing hub in lots of play so I added the lock-tight again..., I just caution those who go to a mechanic and the mech says you need a new axle when really he is just lazy...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rev kev's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rev kev reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rev kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
rev kev
rev kev is on a distinguished road

So I looked you guys up for help and Id did repair my right front hub/beraing at ho,e 134.00 plus tax and to my surprise I had a heck of time getting the bearing out - finaly beat on it long enough - the rim was chocked full of lock-tight (this is the way it came from the factory) and it was strange I cleaning the lock tight off and as I put the new bearing hub in lots of play so I added the lock-tight again..., I just caution those who go to a mechanic and the mech says you need a new axle when really he is just lazy... mine a 2003 Vue AWD had a VTI - holy crap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rev kev's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rev kev reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rev kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

There are times when the axle is damaged trying to remove it from the hub, it is however the exception not the norm. We had a Montana a few weeks ago we actually had to cut the axle from the bearing because the two simply could not be seperated. Like I said it is the exception not the norm. A air hamer will usually shake the 2 apart, sometimes you have to heat the hub with the torches to get them to seperate.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Lizzy
Lizzy is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2007 VUE Green Line

I took my 07 QC to the dealer with a bad wheel bearing and they said it would be $485 to replace the one. Luckily mine was still under warranty as it is covered under the 5 year / 100k mile warranty, but I had to fight for that. Good luck getting it repaired.

R.I.P. Baby Girl ('95 SL1 has died)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lizzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lizzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
I took my 07 QC to the dealer with a bad wheel bearing and they said it would be $485 to replace the one. Luckily mine was still under warranty as it is covered under the 5 year / 100k mile warranty, but I had to fight for that. Good luck getting it repaired.
OEM replacement bearing, about $35, labour, one hour about 80. Do it yourself, PRICELESS! lol!

Actually, here in Canada, you can only by the whole assembly at about $250. Then labour. Go figure eh? lol!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote