SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
micosan
micosan is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Key Chime Ignition Switch

Ignition Switch – Key Chime

I’m trying to adjust the Ignition Switch so the Key Chime works properly when the key is removed from the key cylinder. With the ignition switch detached from the key cylinder housing I can rotate the switch to a position that turns off the accessories and the key chime is not activated when the door is open however this position is short of the full rotation limit of the switch. If I continue rotating the ignition switch to where it can not travel any further then the key chime will be activated. So, I do not know if the key chime problem for me is a rotational positional issue or it is a center spring / contact problem as stated in the How-to-Library http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21560 .

In the How-to-Library a poster stated:
“The problem is a little copper connector that is meant to short a circuit when the key is pushed in. It has 2 legs that spreads out which seem to have a habit of getting stuck.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...1&d=1207075128

In the end I just took it completely out of the switch and the problem is fixed. (In my switch there is a break between the two copper legs which can be seen here between the top center contact and the lower leg.)

No more constant chiming but it chimes when the headlights are left on! What it doesn't do is chime when you leave the key in and open the door but for me that was unnecessary and kind of annoying.”

The picture below shows the copper leg of the ignition switch in the fully off position. The red dot indicates the position where the key chime is not activated.

As some else said, “Please chime in” on this topic so I might have an understanding on how to correct this situation. I haven’t had a chance to check continuity but I would assume the 4 pairs of pins on the ignition switch correlate to the Off, ACC, Run and Start position. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IgnSwcLeg.jpg (89.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IgnSwitchAssm.jpg (97.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IgnSwcNmOff.jpg (62.3 KB, 44 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to micosan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help micosan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
micosan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Key Chime Ignition Switch

I had my switch apart to stop the chime when the door was open and the key out. I pulled the spring to lengthen it and than put it back together. After installation the chime no longer sounded when the door was open and the key out. After the first time I drove it a short distance, opened the door with the key out, the chime sounded. I believe that spring is copper, you can check it with a magnet. I should have realized that spring had lost it's hardness when it didn't spring back after pulling it. Went to the junk yard for a replacement. Cost me $5.00. It's still working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote