SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
audettetractor
audettetractor is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn engine front crankshaft seal leak

Hi,

I just installed a remanufactured Saturn DOHC in my 95 Saturn. I bought it from getsaturnparts a advertiser on this site. Everything appears to have gone well except for oil leak at the front crankshaft seal.

No big deal at this time, however, when replacing the seal that was new (but leaking) with another new crankshaft seal -I was surprised how easy the new seal installed in the front cover. I was able to push the seal in place with just my thumbs. There was hardly any resistance fit at all!No service tool or proper size socket was needed to install the new crankshaft seal.
The drain hole into the oil pan was clear.

My questions are :
Is there sufficient oil pressure at this seal to blow it out of the front cover?

Is there any techs out there who have noticed this front crankshaft seal is not always a super tight fit installing the seal in the front cover.

This engine cost me a lot of money ($1700) and I would hate to have my wife drive the car one day and have the seal pop out of place.

Is there a spec for the cavity size in the front cover?
Is there a sealant that I can spread around the outer edge of the seal to assure it stays in place?

The engine purrs like a kitten ,but a sudden oil leak is putting some fear in this engine install!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to audettetractor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help audettetractor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
audettetractor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Saturn engine front crankshaft seal leak

The front crank seal is not a tight fit as you've noticed. When we installed them at the dealerhsip, we covered the circumfrence with Loctite 515 and pushed it into the cover.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
audettetractor
audettetractor is on a distinguished road

Squareback,
Thank you very much for the sealant info!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to audettetractor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help audettetractor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
audettetractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

One additional note if you haven't done so is apply sealer to the inside of the crankshaft pulley or the pulley washer to prevent oil leaking at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

Last edited by richpin06; 03-28-2008 at 09:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpin06 View Post
One additional note if you haven't done so is apply sealer to the inside of the crankshaft pulley or the pulley washer to prevent oil leaking at that point.

Never done it, and I've literally removed hundreds of thousands of crank pulleysfrom S Series cars. Certainly couldn't hurt I guess, but not at all necessary either.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
murrietasaturn
murrietasaturn is on a distinguished road

I've just completed the rebuilding of 99 SL2 the only problem I'm having is the front seal seams to be leaking. My Haynes manual talks about the depth of the front seal. Currently the new seal is flush with the timing chain cover, is this an issue? Is the seal a one time use? I had to replace the original cover with another and used this same new seal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to murrietasaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help murrietasaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
murrietasaturn is offline   Reply With Quote