SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
seankiely
seankiely is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 RELAY-2
Default Fuel Economy

Does anyone know how realistic the claimed fuel economy is on this vehicle? We currently have a Relay and the economy is no where near (football field apart) from the factory specs.

Anyone driving it want to share info? please and thanks.
Sean

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seankiely's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seankiely reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seankiely is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
adammsu
adammsu is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Fuel Economy

With a manual, econ is 24/32... i have been getting closer to 31 on the freeway, but i do 75-78, and with a high reving motor u loose economy at higher speeds a little quicker then with a v-6 or v-8.

2008 Astra XR5 Twilight Blue
---I hate being a mod-inclined person w/o the money/time to do any of it---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adammsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adammsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adammsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
ad_astra
ad_astra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

According to the trip computer, I was getting 37 average MPG using cruise control on the highway at 65. I just did my first fill up that consisted of about 20% freeway, 40% country roads, and 40% city driving and my averaged calculated from the odometer and the pump was 26.5 MPG. I have the 5 speed manual and live in a fairly hilly city.

2008 Twilight Blue Saturn Astra XE, 5-sp manual, a/c, and loads of fun

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ad_astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ad_astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

With about 100 miles on our's, I noticed the MPG's to increase as the motor gets broken in. Our first tank netted 26.2 mpg. (not using the computer). I filled it up Sunday for the 3rd time. 10 gallons got us ~ 320 miles (32 mpg)

Our travel is 50/50 hiway/city.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankiely View Post
Does anyone know how realistic the claimed fuel economy is on this vehicle? We currently have a Relay and the economy is no where near (football field apart) from the factory specs.

Anyone driving it want to share info? please and thanks.
Sean
fuel economy numbers that are posted on the windscreens of vehicals are NOT FACTORY SPECS They are numbers the EPA comes up with and REQUIRES the car builder to place on the car when it leaves the factory. your goverment hard at work doing nothing and spending your money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
adammsu

Its also to GM's advantage, by someone else "declaring" those numbers, GM is not responsible when they're wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adammsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

that gives the same advantage to honda, toyota, ford, and every car sold in the u.s. . because the government informed car builders they could do a better job. i can not see how you can hint at blaming any car builder when it's not numbers they come up with, and are required to post what the epa says.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
adammsu

I am not sure if you are arguing with me or agreeing.....

But in the next few years (and now even), economy ratings will have to be exact if they don't want problems with consumers. I know i get a little annoyed when i see that average sit around 31... but i also understand its my fault for doing 76 and not 70!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

it's not an argument, or agreement it's a fact. talk to your government, state your concerns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammsu View Post
Its also to GM's advantage, by someone else "declaring" those numbers, GM is not responsible when they're wrong.
And when the end result is beyond the manufacturers control because each individual drives differently, the weather is different from day to day...of course GM shouldn't be liable. That would be stupid, but many Americans will continue to blame the company that made the product, even though the owner is responsible for the way in which it was used. It's like blaming a gun manufacturer for someone being killed in a bank robbery.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
adammsu

No, no, you are way off base. I am NOT complaining. I was simply stating that GM (or any other company for that reason) does not complain that the EPA sets the fuel economy. I am not positive, but i believe i remember there being problems for companies in the past about fuel economy ratings.

You have taken an awfully attack-ish tone, when i was just stating a fact.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
ftruscot
ftruscot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

They are also the middle of a statistical range. If you read the fine print on the sticker, you will see a range below each number with words like "most drivers get between x and y". For instance, a car rated at 24 mpg city/32 mpg highway, might have the following disclaimers under the two numbers:
"most drivers get between 21 and 27 mpg" for city
"most driver get between 29 and 34 mpg" for highway.

As pointed out, mileage is really dependent on how you drive the car. The mileage I get when driving my car is very different from the mileage my wife gets when driving the same car. If you are getting below the rated mpg in this car, you would likely be getting below the rated mpg in any car you drove.

2008 Astra 5dr XR, black, 5-sp, adv. audio, prem. trim, sports handling, sunroof

Previous Saturn: 1997 SW2, blue, manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ftruscot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ftruscot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ftruscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
I am not sure if you are arguing with me or agreeing.....

But in the next few years (and now even), economy ratings will have to be exact if they don't want problems with consumers. I know i get a little annoyed when i see that average sit around 31... but i also understand its my fault for doing 76 and not 70!
They'll only be in trouble with the mouth-breathing idots who don't realize that they themselves have to take some part in achieving that fuel economy. Screw consumers, they're stupid and deserve to get screwed if they don't have the common sense to know that. You cannot have an exact fuel economy reading since there are far too many variables during each instance of vehicle use, there's no frakin' way. Weather, road conditions, driving style, tire inflation, engine state of tune, accessory usage, vehicle load...there's just far too much to account for that cannot be perfected or standardized across the entire production run that will gaurantee the same fuel economy numbers no matter what.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
No, no, you are way off base. I am NOT complaining. I was simply stating that GM (or any other company for that reason) does not complain that the EPA sets the fuel economy. I am not positive, but i believe i remember there being problems for companies in the past about fuel economy ratings.

You have taken an awfully attack-ish tone, when i was just stating a fact.....
Any 'attackish' tone is aimed not at you, but at the consumer who thinks that it's the manufacturers problem to make the fuel economy numbers match that actual abilities of the car, regardless of the number of variables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Jamis
Jamis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But in the next few years (and now even), economy ratings will have to be exact if they don't want problems with consumers.
I've never gotten what the EPA numbers have shown. I use the EPA numbers as comparisons when shopping for a car. If you look at the window sticker, there is a huge range that applies to the particular model anyway. The Civic I am driving is getting at least 5 mpg better in the city and 10 mpg better on the highway. The Protege my wife is driving is returning the EPA numbers or slightly better. Of course, I haven't tweaked it yet. Couple more weeks and it will be mine!

What's in your garage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jamis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jamis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
adammsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
They'll only be in trouble with the mouth-breathing idots who don't realize that they themselves have to take some part in achieving that fuel economy. Screw consumers, they're stupid and deserve to get screwed if they don't have the common sense to know that. You cannot have an exact fuel economny reading since there are far too many variables during each instance of vehicle use, there's no frakin' way. Weather, road conditions, driving style, tire inflation, engine state of tune, accessory usage, vehicle load...there's just far too much to account for that cannot be perfected or standardized across the entire production run that will gaurantee the same fuel economy numbers no matter what.
While i agree with you that consumers should take responsibility for their driving habits, car companies have to walk a fine line. With gas getting ready to hit $4 a gallon, consumers are going to want their car to get what the sticker says. Of course they can't get it perfect, but the closer they can, the less bad press they will receive. Any company in this sort of situation can only push back sooo hard before the consumers get fed up and go somewhere else.

Now, i am a GM guy, and probably always will be, i am just trying to state that their are 2 sides to the story, and that you can't just "screw the stupid consumer" all the time, because i think they make up the majority of consumers......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
adammsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Any 'attackish' tone is aimed not at you, but at the consumer who thinks that it's the manufacturers problem to make the fuel economy numbers match that actual abilities of the car, regardless of the number of variables.
And i do generally understand that. However it just sounded like from RoadIon that he thought i was being complacent in my remarks, and that was not the case. I understand how the system works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

if you understand how the system works, and you understand variables then you should understand you have no argument. there is no way a car builder is going to do the tests you want to show the results you want without passing the cost onto you. if you desire the government to do that, you will pay evan more for those results.

read the top epa number
read the bottom epa number
you might be near that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Sporkbob
Sporkbob is on a distinguished road

I drive a 5 door XR with the 5 speed in it. I speed (average 80 on the freeway), accelerate quickly, and in general don't drive in the most fuel efficient manner. The car already has 3200+ miles on it and I've had my first oil change. My driving is primarily highway, though I do drive around the city a bit too (typical detroit 45 mph roads). That being said, I have been averaging between 28.5-29.5 mpg. I took a trip across the state last Friday in the blizzard averaging between 35 and 50 mph and averaged around 34 mpg if I remember correctly.

Has anyone else noticed that the range estimate on the BC doesn't seem to include the last gallon of fuel in the tank?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sporkbob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sporkbob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sporkbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #20
adammsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
if you understand how the system works, and you understand variables then you should understand you have no argument. there is no way a car builder is going to do the tests you want to show the results you want without passing the cost onto you. if you desire the government to do that, you will pay evan more for those results.

read the top epa number
read the bottom epa number
you might be near that
You have failed to understand anything that i have said. I AM NOT arguing. This whole thing started when i said it was to GM's advantage to have someone else declare the mileage. You misunderstood that, and have misunderstood my subsequent posts attempting to explain.

I don't care what the ratings say. Like others have said here, i use them for comparison, but i also realize that SOME consumers expect them to be exact, that is all i am saying. You seem to have some beef with the government, and you are airing it out in the wrong venue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!