SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Why was the ION discontinued so soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Clatter View Post
Still made in America but what a total and utter piece of Khrap. It had been cost reduced to the point where it just didn't work properly anymore. I ended up buying an even cheaper, made in China, reel that worked fine.

If the only way we can compete is to produce Khrap then we have lost the war.
And thus the reason why the American economy has gone to the sh**tter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #22
hotubnguy
hotubnguy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I must say that I am not at all disappointed with my Ion, as for the "cheap plastic" interior I also have an '01 Corolla in my driveway and find the Ion much nicer inside. As for GM I have lost faith in them but that relates more to engine problems with my 03 Montana than with my Ion, now I have only had the car 5 months but so far all is good (crossing my fingers). I see a lot of CAW guys around here with bumper stickers saying "out of a job yet keep buying foreign" what it should really say is "out of a job yet, keep building junk"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hotubnguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hotubnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hotubnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
Brad LeBosse
Brad LeBosse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

The perception of the Ion being a bad car is caused, in part, by comments like this one on Edmunds. People think that if it is written in Consumer Reports or Edmunds, it must be factual.

"On top of that, the 2008 Saturn Astra needs to make people forget the horrible Saturn Ion, the very worst car ever sold in America."

That sure goes a long way to ruining a car manufacturers reputation.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...?t-55311.html=

Personally I had GM buy back my Ion Quad Coupe because of three failed CVT transmissions. That did not help the ION in the reliability section. I loved the car, other than the CVT. The CVT continues to plague Saturn Ions and VUEs which were the only GM cars to be equipped with the CVT transmission. How lucky for Saturn. Anyway, this is an old story now.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A9629C8B63

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_n17957584

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brad LeBosse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brad LeBosse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brad LeBosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #24
KevinMoire
KevinMoire is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokensaturn View Post
sorry didnt know i wasnt allowed to have a typo in my post.
Go squeeze a coconut and get off of Saturn's jock man. We love our Ion's. Just because you got yours from some side-of-the-road lemontree dealership from some guy named "Uncle Bobby B" doesn't mean our saturns dont PWN.

I swear people always need something to wine about.

www.enjoiyourself.com
2004 Custom Ion-2 74k Original Owner (totalled)
2007 InfernoRed Dodge Charger SXT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinMoire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinMoire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinMoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #25
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Roll Eyes Re: Why was the ION discontinued so soon

Quote:
"The 2008 Saturn Astra needs to make people forget the horrible Saturn Ion, the very worst car ever sold in America."

I really dislike that comment, this is the reason why some people believe so wholeheartedly that the Ion is so awful, it is simply not true...

I have driven many cars that I believe are much worse... Besides, what did they expect for the price? ughhh.....

Notice that "BrokenSaturn" hasn't decided to say anything here in quite a while.... It makes me wonder what he/she was thinking in the first place...

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #26
duffbeer
duffbeer is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Why was it discontinued? Because it's a piece of s***. Only reason I still have one is I'm still locked into my lease. Nothing but problems. Totally regret getting an ION.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to duffbeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help duffbeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
duffbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
theonlyari
theonlyari is on a distinguished road

For a lack of wanting to read all 3 pages of replies to this topic, i will throw in my 2 cents without any prior knowledge of whether i am repeating someone....

Its my feeling that the Ion got a bad rap because many people expected more for the 12 to 18 grand they spent on the car. Sadly, in today's market $16000 isnt a hell of a lot. So, you get a plasticy interior and a steering wheel that looks like who-did-it-and-ran.

Rather than focusing on the bad... I love my ion. My 2004 unmodified tear up a 2008 civic coup in acceleration and top speed (regardless to the fact that both cut out at 110mph due to the ECU). Its also remarkably computerized. Almost everything on it is computerized. Throw in an all aluminum engine and we're set.

Now why throw it away? You need not look any further then the commercials. Saturn wants to become a major player in the car market. They needed new cars to do that. Throw in the fact that GM wanted to bring the Opel over... Saturn/GM would be competing with themselves if they kept the ion.

All in all, the Ion is a great car. Those of us who drive them know it. Most of the problems that people experience tend to stem from user-error. I have 98k miles on mine, i drive it hard, and it asks for more.

Those of us who have Ions, should be proud of what we have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to theonlyari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help theonlyari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
theonlyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #28
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That ridiculous Edmund's statement is one of the reasons I no longer frequent their site. It defies logic to even make the statement as it is not even close to being accurate.

Funny how the OWNERs on Edmund's rate their cars a lot higher than the so called experts did.

Saturn made a lot of miscalculations with the ION, but more than one automotive journalist made remarks similar to Car & Driver's that it was "better than what came before it".Consumer Guide called it the "replacement for the sub par S Series".

So if the ION was the very worst car sold in America, what did that make the S Series ? And where are Yugo, Vega, Renault, Fiat, early Hyundai,Kia, the original VW Rabbit and Audi 100, if that is the case ? What drivel.

Memories are short in the automotive journalistic hack community.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #29
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Well, if we're going that route, lets not forget the Ford Pinto or the worse-than-ugly-words-can't-describe Pontiac Aztek. If the Ion is going to get lumped into all those others, I guess I'd call the Ion a diamond in the rough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
Asinity
Asinity is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
Well, if we're going that route, lets not forget the Ford Pinto or the worse-than-ugly-words-can't-describe Pontiac Aztek. If the Ion is going to get lumped into all those others, I guess I'd call the Ion a diamond in the rough.
I'm gonna have to stop you there man... I love my Ion, and both my wife and I love our Aztek (the wife HATES my Ion). The ass-end is uglier than a box smothered in manure and chucked into a blender with a clown wig and Paris Hilton, but it's an awesome vehicle. Ever driven in one? Furthermore, ever camped in one? Or helped a buddy move with one? We shoved a couch, loveseat and about a dozen pillows into the back of it and still had some room for a few little things here and there. The center console is a cooler, and the ride quality is quiet and extremely smooth... just a few of the things we like about it Definitely could have used a bigger engine than the 3.4L though.

There are too many people who badmouth great cars without ever giving them a chance. The Ion and Aztek are both cars that have fallen victim to that. Come here and ask any Ion owner, I can bet a majority of people like them enough to buy another one for a spouse, child or themselves.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asinity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asinity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #31
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Never drove an Aztek, but did test drive a Redezvous once. Not bad, but not a looker either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #32
Asinity
Asinity is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

When we were looking at the Aztek we also were looking at the Rendezvous that was on the same lot for $4000 more. I actually prefer the look of the Aztek over the Rendezvous, that and it's got the options that are geared towards the younger crowd who's on the move.

After re-reading my rant I think I may have come off a little aggressively in my "Have you ever driven..." but that's the first question that I always ask people who bash our Aztek. We couldn't be happier with it, meets and exceeds all of what we wanted in a car after her SL1's life was tragically cut short by a U-Haul wanting a closer look at it's rear-end.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asinity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asinity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Aggressive? Nah, no harm no foul. You like it and that is what matters. yeah the Rendezvous is more expensive than its Aztec sibling mainly because Buick has always been the more "upscale" line of GM. That one we test drove had heated leather seats and the HUD (pretty cool!). Even though structurally the two are the same vehicle, you can see by the color choices one is more luxury and one is more youthful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #34
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
So if the ION was the very worst car sold in America, what did that make the S Series ? And where are Yugo, Vega, Renault, Fiat, early Hyundai,Kia, the original VW Rabbit and Audi 100, if that is the case ? What drivel.

Memories are short in the automotive journalistic hack community.
Maybe those cars didn't stay on the road long enough to be remembered by the "experts".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote