SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Saturn build a hardtop Sky coupe in addition to its current roadster?
Build a Sky coupe 33 73.33%
Let the coupe be unique to Pontiac 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Should Saturn build a hardtop Sky coupe in addition to the current roadster?

Last week Pontiac unveiled a coupe version of its Solstice convertible at the NYIAS. Should Saturn follow suit and build a hardtop Sky coupe in addition to its current roadster, or should the coupe be kept unique to Pontiac?

Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Should Saturn build a hardtop Sky coupe in addition to the current roadster?

They should build it. If anything, it should have been exclusive to the SKY. I'm not just saying that because I'm biased toward Saturns, but I think the Solstice's front looks just plain hideous. I think the targa top on the Solstice looks nice, but the rest of the car's styling is far inferior to the SKY.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1
Default Re: Should Saturn build a hardtop Sky coupe in addition to the current roadster?

I agree, they should have had it Sky exclusive. I would have preferred to have to have the hardtop version anyway. But it will be interesting to see if they can keep the lines of the SKY intact with a hardtop. I saw a concept pic (or maybe it was what someone had done on their own) awhile back and it looked just plain hideous and completely took away from the natural contours of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

You have to be kidding me? The Sky is the BEST looking car in a long time. Let pontiac have a fast back and hard top.
Please, leave the SKY alone.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Even though I can't sit comfortably in one and will never buy one, I think the Sky should get a coupe version to broaden its appeal, i.e., sell more copies, and to help mitigate some of the storage issues people have complained about with the droptop.

However, part of me still takes issue with the car rags that expect a 2-seat sports car to provide the same storage and hauling capabilities as a minivan.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

the Solstice with the removable roof would be nice as a Sky.
http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/ev...20Coupe_OR.htm

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
SKY4US
SKY4US is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line

I would have bought the hardtop, given it was designed correctly. The one thing I would like to see done is to have much better rear view. I love my car totally, except for the very limited rearward view. I park in a lot at work that I have to back into in the dark. I have just about backed into pedestrians because I could not see very good behind me. The coupe for the pontiac looks to have made this even worse. With the coupe it should not have the leeks and road noise that the ragtop does. I would think that it could have more storage also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKY4US's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKY4US reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKY4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
the Solstice with the removable roof would be nice as a Sky.
http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/ev...20Coupe_OR.htm
Yes. I say, if anything, limit it to a removable roof. The Saturn is more about cruising, than racing. I think the fixed roof was brought mostly for that purpose. And it's a Saturn SKY! They'd have to rename it the Saturn Dome, for the coupe version. The Sky should be open top only. Pontiac needs the coupe, Saturn does not.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY4US View Post
With the coupe it should not have the leeks and road noise that the ragtop does.

I have way less wind and road noise in my 07 SKY RL with the top up then I do in My 07 ION Coupe.

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
KennedySaturn
KennedySaturn is on a distinguished road

I have been informed by my GM trainer that the sky hardtop will not be made. He said maybe in a couple years yes but for now no. The sky really hurt the sales of the solstice and Gm wants pontiac hardtop to help with solstice sales.
Greg Kennedy
Saturn of Norwood Mass

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KennedySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KennedySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KennedySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

build it and i may buy a sky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennedySaturn View Post
I have been informed by my GM trainer that the sky hardtop will not be made. He said maybe in a couple years yes but for now no. The sky really hurt the sales of the solstice and Gm wants pontiac hardtop to help with solstice sales.
Greg Kennedy
Saturn of Norwood Mass
Good. I do prefer the Sky over the Soltice, looks wise, but the Solstice needs something to differentiate it from the Sky other than just looks. And like I said above, it's called the Sky! Not the Saturn Dome.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02OrangeSC2 View Post
I have way less wind and road noise in my 07 SKY RL with the top up then I do in My 07 ION Coupe.
No kidding! The Sky is amazingly quiet with the top up. The only significant noise that creeps in is engine noise. My 2003 Pontiac Vibe was far more offensive!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
jr1
jr1 is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line

That's a tough one to answer. They can do anything they like, but will it sell? Personally, I think No. I love my Turbo SKY. I have seen some concept pictures for a fixed hardtop and it was hideous. Seems like it would completly destroy the looks and lines - it's a different car, so why not give it a new name if you are going to do it. Frankly I think removable hard tops are a waste of time. I agree with the noise comments of others. My SKY is waaaay quieter than my RedLine ION was. I get it for the Solstice. It's plain to say the least and some would say ugly, though I think that's going too far. so why not add a "so ugly it's cute hard top" to appeal to a new bunch of buyers. SKY has been killing Solstice in sales, but it seems to be falling out into two camps. SKY is "upmarket" $3k to $4k more expensive accross the range and by the vast majority of opinions waaaay better looking. Marketing is about what the majority buys. Seems now that Turbo SKY's and base Solstice's are the norm. You want a base SKY from my dealer you have to special order - they can't sell them off the lot. But Turbo's turn fast (no pun intended). Makes sense - if you can afford Turbo you probably go SKY, if not you take a base Solstice and save the additional $3-4k - I'm talking majority here - there will always be individuals who see things diffferently and thank goodness there are, so don't waste your time flaming me. One of my employees (who lives a block from the Saturn dealer) just bought a new 2007 (not a missprint) base Solstice loaded up with options and paid over $28k. But he is happy with it and the 0 down, 0% incentive worked for him. He did buy a teflon coat and was told by the shop they could not do it becasue it had a bad paint job. So they repainted it - not at his expense of course. Personally I would have given it back to the dealer, but again he is happy with it. We are all different, only trends and averages determine the majority opinions. So going full circle, I still think a hardtop SKY is probably marketing loser. You buy a SKY BECAUSE it's a SKY - a unpractical, fun, sexy looking, ragtop, roadster and your other car is probably an SUV (guilty!).

BTW: Fun true story ref ragtop. Stopped at a light - guy behind in fancy expensive ragtop hits power top switch - nice day, good idea - I go neutral, brake, pop the top, pop the clam, seat belt, jump out stow the top, back in again, belt, brake, shift - the light changes and I'm off - he still sitting there waiting for his top to stow, much to the disgust of monster truck boy behind him who fortunately suddenly sees the humor in it. Who needs a power top for crying out loud!! K.I.S.S.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Rather than a coupe, I like the idea of a removable hard top like the old vettes.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #16
QKSC2
QKSC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

i dont know how i would feel about that. we should stay away from the solstice look as much as possible. It butt ugly. The sky looks great the way it is. I think it was a great idea to turbo both cars though.

Proud to be one of the few and the proud.saturn owners who beat a Supra. It was non turbo.its my barber's. and i only won by half a car from 0-120. Im callin it a win. 1 me, Supra 0 So bad @ss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QKSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QKSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QKSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
Vuedoo Child
Vuedoo Child is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2005 VUE 3.5L

No, please no coupe! The roadster version is great, leave well enough alone. If they feel the need to do a coupe, make it a removeable hardtop that mounts to the convertible. Don't do something that spoils the basic package that the Sky is now. It is by far one of the best looking roadsters out there; if not "the best" looking.

I liked the first one we bought so much I had to go back three days later and get another for myself! .....and I liked that one so much, I bought myself a Redline a year later!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vuedoo Child's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vuedoo Child reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vuedoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
sprntr
sprntr is on a distinguished road

Why is the version sold in the warmest country the only one with a convertable hardtop?

http://www.vauxhall.com/vx/carsandva...randName=tigra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sprntr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sprntr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sprntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #19
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Maybe, if done right, it would look very good. Though, I have to say; I like it as is.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #20
SaturnVLN
SaturnVLN is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2

I'v always wondered about this! Yes, Saturn should introduce a SKY coupe.

Matt 3

Happiness is driving a Saturn!

1997 SL1
1997 SL2
2005 ION 1
2007 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVLN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVLN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVLN is offline   Reply With Quote