SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
kx250ryder
kx250ryder will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
Default Saturn S Series Sunroof Guide Replacement (With Pictures)

Time Allotted: 1-2 Full Days depending on skill level (don't rush or it will cost $$$ in damage to headliner, etc.) I did this while I was buring excess vacation time, and working without worrying about waking up for work the next morning made this almost enjoyable, and I made alot less mistakes by not having to rush.

If you live somewhere where bad weather is common, perform this indoors as it may need to sit w/o sunroof overnight if you don't budget your time right!

Materials:
Sunroof Doctor Repair Kit Including:
Machined Aluminum sunroof guides
Motor Mount
5/32" Medium & 5/32" Short rivets
1 Smaller Rivet (either 2mm or 3mm, I forget)
Black grease
Black silicone
2 daubers (for applying grease/silicone)
Razor blade

Flat blade Screwdriver
#2 Phillips Screwdriver
Drill
5/32" Drill Bit
Rivet Tool (get the one that has 4 bits: 2mm-5mm to cover for the small rivet mentioned above)
Ratchet
7mm, 8mm & 10mm sockets
T20 & T50 Torx bits for ratchet
Awl (screwdriver handle but pointy like an ice pick)
Needle nose Pliers
Channel Locks or Large Pliers
Mallet
Small diameter pin to use as punch
Rags

NOTE: The majority of the plastic trim is fastened with snap clips. It may take monster truck force to get some of these loose so don't panic if it doesn't come off easy.

You have alot of flexibility here for the order things get done but in general:

1.) Pull Off Rear Brake Light Cover

2.) Pull Off Rear Upper Trim

3.) Pop Loose Caps and Unbolt Rear Upper Grab Handles

4.) Pry Off Cover And Unbolt Front Seatbelt Bolts (T50 Torx)

5.) Use Awl to Remove Clip and Pull Off Sliding Height Adjuster Knobs for Front Seatbelts (be ready to catch falling clip!)

6.) Slide off Covers and Unbolt Front Passenger Upper Grab Handle

7.) Pry Off Dashboard Clips

8.) Unbolt Dashboard Bolts

9.) Pry Off Dashboard

10.) Pull Off Driver & Front Passenger upper trim

11.) Unscrew visors and visor stays

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kx250ryder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kx250ryder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kx250ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
kx250ryder

1998 SL2
Default Re: Saturn S Series Sunroof Guide Replacement (With Pictures)

12.) Pry Off map light trim

13.) Unvelcro and Lower Headliner, Note The Open Rear Door For Clearance!

14.) Disconnect dome light

15.) Remove headliner through passenger door Note, Route it around the shifter as shown. If done properly it won't wrinkle. Mine did because I wasn't paying attention and bumped it against the door frame

16.) Disconnect Sunroof Drain Tube Clamps and Tubes from Sunroof Module

17.) Unscrew (T20 Torx) Sunroof Glass

18.) Remove Sunroof Sunshade (Press to driver's or passenger side to compress spring clips and lift out through top of car (no photo)
19.) Disconnect Sunroof Motor (Two Connectors)

20.) Unbolt Sunroof Motor (8mm)

21.) Unbolt Sunroof Module (19mm), leaving side screws for last

22.) Lower Sunroof Module, disconnect wiring clips (squeeze from top with pliers to remove from sunroof module frame)

23.) Remove Sunroof Module Through Front Passenger Door (no photo)
Overall photo of Frame (note upper crossmember, Rear Drain Caps, etc.)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...r/P3180110.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...r/P3180111.jpg
EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION TO DRILL OUT BUMP STOP RIVETS, SHOWN IN LINK ABOVE, JUST FORWARD AND TO RIGHT OF UPPER CROSS MEMBER RIVET!
24.) Drill Out Both Rivets for Upper Cross member (no photo)
25.) Drill Out Both Rivets Holding Rear Drain Caps (no photo)
26.) Pry Loose Rear Drain Caps (no photo)
27.) Scrape off any old sealant on Rear Drain Caps, and on Module where Caps were mounted (no photo)
28.) Unscrew Front Cable Covers

29.) Press Sunroof guides (w/flatblade screwdriver) Alll the Way Forward to Expose Cables

30.) Disconnect Cables

31.) Press Sunroof guides (w/ flatblade screwdriver) all the way backward to put arm into vent mode (no photo)
32.) Press Arms backwards (w/flatblade screwdriver) out of track (no photo)
33.) Clean out all Grease (no photo)
34.) Remove Rear Pins from plastic guides (tap out with mallet and small nail or the like used as a punch)

35.) Install new guides using above mentioned pins (note right & left orientation of guides) (no photo)
36.) Set Arms Into Full Vent position

37.) Re-install into sunroof Track starting from rear, compress front guide arm down into low track that guide rides in using flatblade screwdriver.

Last edited by kx250ryder; 03-22-2008 at 02:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kx250ryder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
kx250ryder

1998 SL2

38.) Slide arms all the way forward until they stop (no photo)
39.) Press guide all the way forward so that cable can be attached (no photo)
40.) Press guide backward to set into full vent position (no photo)
41.) Re-Grease tracks, guides (no photo)
42.) Re-install Front Cable Covers (see above photo for removal)
43.) Apply silicone to bottom and front of Rear Drain Caps (no photo)
44.) Install Drain Caps and Rivet in Place Use silicone to make a smooth transition from sunroof track to drain caps so water won't collect (no photo)
45.) Rivet upper cross member back into place (no photo)
46.) Drill out Motor Mount Rivet (no photo)
47.) Thread bolts into new Motor Mount To Tap Threads

48.) Re-install Motor Mount With Bolts to Frame To Properly Locate Motor Mount (no photo)
49.) Install Motor Mount Rivet (no photo)
50.) Remove Motor Mount Bolts (no photo)
51.) Perform Steps 1-23 in Reverse Order to re-install (23, 22, 21, etc.)

Long list of steps, but it is not that difficult. Definitely worth the money it saves over having Saturn charge you $800.00 plus labor, just to have the cheesy plastic guide fail shortly down the road.

Once you have the sunroof motor installed and the glass back on, test the motor to make sure it works ok before reinstalling the headliner. I found that mine was stripped out, so I ordered one from the Sunroof Doctor (88 bucks, plus the 20 I opted pay for UPS 2 day to get the project done on time). Saturn wanted $212.00! The motor I got was identical to the OEM too. The new motor comes with crimp connectors so you can use the old harness. I actually soldered mine to be safe instead though.

Last edited by kx250ryder; 03-22-2008 at 02:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

2002 SC2

Great post and should definately be included in the how-to library.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

YES ! !

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
kx250ryder

1998 SL2

Thanks guys. The hardest part actually was not the headliner. You get the impression that dropping the headliner is like swapping the motor with the way that some people talk, but it was easy.

The key is to go really slow. If you have a wife/girlfriend bugging you to finish, or need to be in bed for work, don't attempt and just try again some other time when you can go SLOW.

The hardest part was actually getting the sunroof guide to get back into the track properly. You are trying to push down on one part to keep it in the track (it wants to spring upward), pushing forward on the arm, and also squeezeing the guide in between the track rails. Having an extra set of hands would have been nice. It isn't difficult, but it took me a while to figure out because I couldn't get a good look at the original when removing because so much grease was covering the parts.

EDIT: Since you are working around interior cloth that you will see day in and day out, wash your hands constantly and wear gloves if you can (grease wipes off of them better). Even though you aren't under the hood for this job, you will be amazed how many different things you will touch that will transfer dust/grease to your hands and show up on the trim and headliner if you don't wash.

Might be a good idea to get a bottle of degreaser prior to this job, because you won't have better access to your trim pieces than while they are all out of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
kx250ryder

1998 SL2

Additional note: Be careful with the rear brake light wiring routing. It runs along the driver's side of the module toward the rear (pictured in step 22).

I didn't notice that I had pinched it between the module and the roof when I re-installed the module. This caused the brake lights to stop functioning, and continuously blow fuses recently. It almost cost me a trip to the dealer to do a short trace, but I remembered I wrote this guide and looked at the picture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250ryder View Post
Additional note: Be careful with the rear brake light wiring routing. It runs along the driver's side of the module toward the rear (pictured in step 22).

I didn't notice that I had pinched it between the module and the roof when I re-installed the module. This caused the brake lights to stop functioning, and continuously blow fuses recently. It almost cost me a trip to the dealer to do a short trace, but I remembered I wrote this guide and looked at the picture.
How awesome is it that your own thread helped you resolve a problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
DHOOP
DHOOP is on a distinguished road

Congrats on an excellent foto display. After reading an earlier, detailed description of repairing the sunroof, using metal, 'sunroof doctor' parts to replace plastic parts, I opted to buy the whole module, already fixed up by SD. It is certainly more expensive, but relatively painless and will save a whole lot of time. As advised in this strand, be prepared to take your time in removing the headliner. It isn't all that difficult but there is a lot of nit-picking stuff to do. Keeping your hands real clean will help give you a good final product, as suggested here.
When I switched over the motor from the old to the new, I found the splines to be in great shape. After I hooked up the plugs, it worked perfectly every time. When I bought the car a couple of weeks ago, the sunroof worked fine for about 2 days, but that's the way it goes. Price and miles were low enough to make it worth my while to fix it. Happy I did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DHOOP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DHOOP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DHOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
meribona
meribona is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I followed kx250ryder's procedure this past week and managed to replace my guides without too much difficulty. I took some pictures as well and hopefully some of them address steps where kx250ryder didn't have photos.

The procedure below is also what Sunroof doctor recommends, although hopefully the pictures will make their text-only instructions more clear.

1) Remove the sunroof glass.
There are 3 torx screws (T-25) on the driver's and passenger side of the car that face inboard (i.e. toward the center of the car). See kx250ryder's pictures.

2) Remove the sunshade.
I didn't do this until later, but you could do it now. The shade slides back and forth in a very small rail (~1/8" tall) on 4 clips. These clips are spring-loaded and are in each corner of the sunshade. Press the clip in with a small screwdriver and that corner should lift right out. Here's one of the clips:

3) Remove the trim welt around interior hole opening
No idea what Sunroof doctor is talking about here so I skipped ahead.

4) Remove vehicle headliner
I thought this was quite involved. To remove the headliner:
A) remove each sunvisor.
B) Remove the plastic cover on the center high-mounted stop light in the back. Like many Saturn trim pieces, the cover is held in place with plastic clips. It seemed that most of these plastic clips are designed to be removed by pulling them straight out. In other words, pull directly toward you without any twisting or sideways motion and the clips should pop right out. Here are 2 pictures:

C) Remove the dome light
D) Remove the cover on the maplight console. This is also held in place with flimsy plastic clips, but feel around on the side of the console closest to the windshield and you should find two subtle notches cut into the cover's edge. I think the secret to removing the console cover is to insert a standard screwdriver into the notch and gently pry.
E) Remove the dashboard cover. This too is held in place with plastic clips.
F) Remove the 4 trim pieces (2 each on the passenger and driver's side) that encircle the doors. Again, these trim pieces are held in place with clips that attach directly into the metal body of the car. What I did was insert my finger between the trim piece and the headliner to locate the plastic clips (pictured below). Once I found a clip, I gave the trim piece a good, hard tug and the clip would usually pop right out.
G) Remove the passenger and rear seat grab handles. The rear seat grab handles are really easy (7 mm bolts). The passenger grab handle involved a lot of prying to remove the plastic cover over it. I ended up breaking the support clip for the cover on one side. After you get the cover off, though, the grab handle is held in place with 7 mm bolts as well.

I was not able to remove my headliner from the car so I had to work around it. It bends under it's own weight fairly well, provided you don't cantilever too big a section of it. If you do, then the foam inside the headliner breaks and you get a wrinkle. Removing the headrests on the 2 front seats also helped. Here's a picture of the headliner lying in my car.

5) Remove motor from sunroof housing
3 bolts here. I believe they were 8 mm.

6) Remove sunroof drain tubes
In each corner of the sunroof housing you'll notice a rubber drain tube. The tube is held to the drain cap by a plastic clip that has interlocking teeth on it. A small screwdriver should allow you to pry the clips open.

7) Remove sunroof housing from vehicle.
The sunroof housing (i.e. the mechanism that has the rails, sunroof motor, lift arms, etc. on it) is held in the car by 8 10-mm nuts. 3 are on the passenger side, 3 are on the driver side, and 2 are in the front on either side of where the sunroof motor is mounted. Unbolt these 8 and the sunroof housing should come out.

Here's my sunroof housing after I disassembled it to the point where I could remove my lift arms:

8) Locate and remove metal plates at front of sunroof track.
I removed these earlier, but what Sunroof doctor is talking about here is the J-shaped cover plate at the front of each rail.

9) Pull cable end up and out of original plastic guides.
Slide the old plastic guides forward until you expose the little metal slot the end of the sunroof cable lies in. Pull the end of the cable out. This should release the guide so that it -- and the lift arm attached to it -- slides freely back and forth.

10) Locate rear drain trough and drill out the 2 rivets holding it in place
I'm not certain, but I believe the "rear drain trough" is the smaller of the 2 cross-members at the rear of the sunroof housing. The larger of the 2 cross-members has a white plastic insert in it to hold the dome light. The smaller of the 2 cross members is held in place with 2 short rivets. I drilled them out with a 1/8" drill bit with no problems.

11) Drill out rivet just in front of rear drain trough
This is Sunroof doctor's really long way of saying to drill out the 4 rivets I've circled below.

12) Drill out guide stop rivet at bottom of channel
I think Sunroof doctor means for you to drill out the 2 stop rivets in each rail . Saturn (or more accurately, GM) uses rivets to (A) hold pieces of metal together (like the 4 rivets in step 11), but also (B) as physical stops to prevent the plastic guide from sliding too far back. The rivets used as physical stops are usually a bit smaller than the ones used to attach metal together. I didn't bother drilling the stop rivets out until later when I was trying to remove the guide and discovered that a rivet was blocking the way.

Again, a 1/8" drill bit is fine. The stock rivets are made of aluminum and drill out really easily, although you may need a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the rivet in place so the drill bit doesn't turn it.

13) Locate rear drain corner caps and drill out the 2 rivets holding it in place.
The drain caps are the black plastic things at the end of each rail. Here's a picture:

They are held in place with black RTV sealant. Sunroof doctor includes a tube of RTV, if you buy the $150 guides. As their name suggests, the drain caps direct water that collects in the sunroof housing out to the drain hoses that run down the A and B billars of the car.

The drain caps are held in place with 2 rivets. If you look at the replacement rivets Sunroof doctor gives you, you'll notice some of them (5 of the 12 rivets I received) are shorter than the others. These shorter ones are meant to secure the drain caps.

14) Remove rear drain caps
The drain caps are plastic so they will break. To remove them, use the included razor blade to remove any excess RTV. Then, insert the razor blade between the drain cap and the metal rail and gradually enlarge the gap between them. Eventually, you'll be able to stick a small screwdriver into the gap. Wiggle the drain cap and it should eventually come free.

15) Locate original lift arm guides

16) Slide lift arm out of rear of housing
Once you remove the drain cap and rivets, I believe the lift arms slide right out the back. If they don't, look at the rail and it should be fairly easy to see where something is caught up.

17) Inspect lift arm for any other damaged parts
I didn't find any damaged parts on my lift arms, but maybe you will on yours. If you look at the lift arm, you'll see why the plastic guides are absolutely guaranteed to fail. All the other parts of the load-bearing mechanism that open/close the sunroof are hard, sturdy plastic. The plastic guides -- which bear the most weight of all -- are made of a cheap plastic that is almost flexible to the touch.

18) Place lift arm assembly on a work bench. Tap out the metal pin that holds the original plastic guide in place.
The metal pin Sunroof doctor is talking about is located between my thumb and forefinger in the picture below. If you take a finishing nail and a hammer, you can tap the pin out enough so that you can grip it with needlenose pliers and pull it the rest of the way out.

19) Clean up excess grease from the lift arm and rails with carb cleaner
I don't think cleaning the old grease is essential since a later step calls for applying new grease, but clean it to your own heart's content. The one thing I did do was wipe away any obvious debris (dirt, dust, rust, etc) that had collected on any of the moving parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meribona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meribona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meribona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
meribona
meribona is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

20) Insert metal pin into the back of the new metal guide. Tap into place.
What Sunroof doctor doesn't tell you is that the pin has grooves cut on it one end. When I tried to reinsert my pins, I found that the grooved end was larger than the non-grooved end so I had to hammer the pin in non-grooved end first.

I actually had to hammer (i.e. with an actual hammer and not a mallet) my pins back into place. The metal guide is pretty sturdy though so I don't think I damaged anything.

21) Reinstall lift arms
Here's the diamond-shaped piece of plastic that you need to wrestle with to reinstall your lift arms.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of this, but I'll try to explain. If you look at the sunroof rail, you'll see that there are multiple levels. The very bottom one is quite tall. The metal guide from sunroof doctor slides here. The level right above it is much shorter. It looks like the diamond-shaped piece of plastic will fit in this level, but the diamond is just a tad too big.

You need to get the diamond-shaped plastic piece into the very bottom level (i.e. the tall one where the metal guide slides). To do this, push the diamond-shaped piece all the way forward so that it goes to the very front of the slot cut on the inboard side of the metal guide. You have to use a bit of brute force, but it will eventually go. Once you have the diamond-shaped piece into the very bottom level, the lift arm should slide right in.

22) slide lift arms to front of unit

23) Use a standard screwdriver to slide the guides fully forward
I couldn't do this step because of the metal insert pictured below. This insert blocks the rail so that you can't slide the guide completely forward to expose the slot the end of the sunroof cable rests in. I solved the problem by prying the insert out of the rail, sliding the guide forward to expose the slot, putting the end of the sunroof cable in said slot, retracting the guide, and then putting the insert back in. The insert appears to just snap in and did not have any glue or other adhesive on it.

24) Insert sunroof cables into the cable guide slots in the metal guides
The exposed end of the sunroof cable (blue arrow in the picture below) should fit exactly in the cable guide slot I indicated in the picture for step 18.

25) Manually slide guides rearward until lift arm is in vented position
It took me a while to understand why this is necessary, but I think the idea is that only when the lift arms are in the vented position does the diamond-shaped plastic piece (see step 21) far enough forward to not pop up into the rail and block movement. I think that ordinarily, this diamond-shaped piece is designed to pop up into the rail to prevent the sunroof glass from moving too far forward or backward or from getting caught by the wind and being blown away.

26) Align both guides evenly so that they move in unison
I somehow didn't do this properly so I ended up having one arm move further forward than the other. I solved the problem by removing the motor, manually moving the lift arms fully forward, and then syncing the motor.

For those of you without the factory service manual, volume 4 deals with the sunroof and says that if you ever operate the lift arms or motor independently of one another, you have to synchronize them so that the motor knows when the sunroof is open and closed. To sync, press the open/vent button to the vent position (i.e. half way down). The motor's gear should turn for a few seconds and then eventually stop. This is where the motor should be when the sunroof glass is vented.

Next, take a standard screwdriver and turn the white plastic screw on the front of the motor 1.5 turns clockwise. This is the equivalent of taking the sunroof glass from vent to fully closed. The motor is now synced. Go ahead and reinstall it.

27) Re-install metal plates at the front of the track
Again, these are the J-shaped plates at the front of each rail. The J-shaped plate has an enlargement in it that fits right over the flared end of the copper tube the sunroof cable emerges from (red arrow in picture for step 24). This is what Sunroof doctor means when it says "Cable tube flare may need to be re-aligned with its recessed keeper at this time" in step 27 of their instructions.

28) apply lithium grease to the sunroof channels on either side
I greased absolutely every surface upon which something moved.

29) install rivets in shade stop holes.
For those of you who don't have a rivet tool, you can get them at Orchard Supply Hardware. I had one already, so I don't know the price, but they're not much (~$20). Orchard Supply also has extra rivets, should you accidentally rivet something you shouldn't.

If you do go to Orchard, I believe the rivets you need are the aluminum 5/32" diameter medium length ones with the 1/4" grip (~$2 for 20). These are the ones you use to rivet the rear cross member in place (the 4 rivets I circled in red for step 11). I believe the stop rivets are the same (aluminum, medium length, 1/4" grip), except they are only 1/8" in diameter.

30) install rivets in guide stop holes

31) position rear drain trough onto housing and rivet into place

32) Use razor blade to scrape off any old RTV. Clean the area with carb cleaner to remove any grease. Then apply RTV to the area.

33) Reattach rear drain caps and rivet into place using 2 short rivets
I waited 24 hours for the RTV to fully dry, but I think a few hours is sufficient. I also tested for leaks and didn't find any.

34) Drill out the metal bracket that holds the sunroof motor in place. Replace with the replacement bracket Sunroof doctor provides.
I'm still not sure why this step is necessary because the original sunroof motor bracket I had was fine. Sunroof doctor does include a replacement bracket so why not replace it?

35) Sunroof assembly is ready to reinstall.

36) Reinstall sunroof housing into vehicle.
Reattach the 8 nuts that hold the housing to the car's ceiling. I left my 8 nuts only finger tight initially so that I could fine tune the actual placement of the sunroof. When I had everything placed where I liked it, I tightened the 8 nuts down.

37) Install sunroof motor
The motor has holes for 3 bolts. I may have lost one so I only reattached it with 2.

38) Install sunshade by depressing the 4 spring-loaded clips and releasing them once they're aligned with the small rail they ride in.
See picture below for the clips.

39) reinstall sunroof glass
Aside from keeping out sun, wind, and rain, the sunroof glass also helps position the 2 lift arms relative to one another. When I had my glass out, the arms would move about fine, but the rear lock on the back of the arms would not engage properly when the arms were moved from the vent position to the closed position. (The rear lock on the lift arm contains a notch that is supposed to catch the nub that sticks out into the rail's path) Anyway, as a result of this, the lift arms would not lie flat after being returned to the closed position. Putting the sunroof glass in fixed this problem.

40) Open and close the sunroof to test for operation.
Self-explanatory. I had no problems here. Sunroof doctor advises that if you encounter problems (jerky movement, clicking noises, etc.), you may need to replace either your cables or your motor.

41) Adjust glass level and tighten the 6 torx screws that hold the glass to the lift arms.
When I reinstalled my glass, I discovered that the rear of it sat about 1/8" lower than the roofline. The screw slots in the glass are elongated and permit some amount of up/down adjustment.

42) reinstall headliner
I had to enlist a friend to help since you need to simultaneously hold the headliner in place and engage all the clips on the trim pieces holding the headliner in place. I tried to do it myself and came dangerously close to breaking the foam in the headliner.

After that, it's a pretty straightforward reversal of the removal process -- install dome light, seatbelt torx bolt, sunvisors, plastic cover over the CHMSL, etc.

Hopefully this saves someone a bunch of money and makes sunroof doctor's instructions more clear. Like others have said sunroof doctor does try to answer questions via email, but without a diagram or photograph, it's really hard to make sense of what they tell you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meribona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meribona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meribona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
toniportray
toniportray is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

After years of looking and contemplating forking out the money to SunRoof doctor, I found a much better solution that I just have to share. I'm a way cheap DIY guy with very low income trying to financially survive in California so I'm not willing to spend $150 for the two slider brackets that SunRoof Doctor sells. I found someone who sells the same thing for $45 + shipping. Take that you pricks at SunRoof Doctor. $150 for two aluminum parts is robbery, and as bad as dealerships. $45 is still costly, but 1/3 the cost of the other bank robbers.
ww.dragtimes.com/parts/98-02-SATURN-SL-SL1-SL2-SW-SW1-SW2-SUNROOF-MOTOR_130371033369.html
His name is Paul and his email is saturnusedparts (at) netzero.net
He also sells the whole sunroof assembly for $135 (plus $50 refundable core). Again, way better than the crooks at Sunroof Doctor.

Just a head's up because there are probably other people who will find this useful as I have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toniportray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toniportray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toniportray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
toniportray
toniportray is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Oops. I mixed up my emails. Paul sells the slide pieces. A different guy sells the whole assembly for $135+core. http://www.saturnspot.com/f142/sale-...les-30410.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toniportray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toniportray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toniportray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
BandDirector
BandDirector is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2002 SC2

THANK YOU Sunroof Doctor!!!! Long story short, I ordered the guides to replace them myself in my wife's SC2. I followed the directions in this post as best I could, but I apparently missed something and ended up breaking the front guides plastic arm as well. After spending 11 hours working on it and then that happened, I was frustrated beyone belief. I called up Sunroof Doctor and explained that I had already bought their guides, but tore something else up in the install and they were VERY friendly and helped me out! I went ahead and ordered their completed rebuilt assembly and they promised to give me a refund for the guides I already bought as well as the core charge (minus the fee for the new damage) when I send the core back in with thier new guides still stuck in it. They did EXACTLY what they said they would, only took off $10 on my core for the damage I caused, and also refunded me the $150 I spent on the guides originally! Their customer service was FANTASTIC and I couldn't be happier. The rebuilt sunroof arrived, I had it in my wife's car and put back together within a couple of hours of it arriving and I had my $240 ($150 for the guides + $90 core charge) refunded back to my credit card the same day they recieved my core back! Simply AMAZING customer service! Thanks Sunroof Doctor!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BandDirector's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BandDirector reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BandDirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
t0030tr
t0030tr is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniportray View Post
Oops. I mixed up my emails. Paul sells the slide pieces. A different guy sells the whole assembly for $135+core. http://www.saturnspot.com/f142/sale-...les-30410.html
Thanks, for $135.00 and 1 year warranty this isn't worth the hassle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t0030tr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t0030tr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
t0030tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #16
t0030tr
t0030tr is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Dizzy Re: Saturn S Series Sunroof Guide Replacement (With Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniportray View Post
After years of looking and contemplating forking out the money to SunRoof doctor, I found a much better solution that I just have to share. I'm a way cheap DIY guy with very low income trying to financially survive in California so I'm not willing to spend $150 for the two slider brackets that SunRoof Doctor sells. I found someone who sells the same thing for $45 + shipping. Take that you pricks at SunRoof Doctor. $150 for two aluminum parts is robbery, and as bad as dealerships. $45 is still costly, but 1/3 the cost of the other bank robbers.
ww.dragtimes.com/parts/98-02-SATURN-SL-SL1-SL2-SW-SW1-SW2-SUNROOF-MOTOR_130371033369.html
His name is Paul and his email is saturnusedparts (at) netzero.net
He also sells the whole sunroof assembly for $135 (plus $50 refundable core). Again, way better than the crooks at Sunroof Doctor.

Just a head's up because there are probably other people who will find this useful as I have.
Unfortunately both of these links are dead ends.. No reply from either person..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t0030tr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t0030tr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
t0030tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #17
2002saturnsl
2002saturnsl is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Saturn S Series Sunroof Guide Replacement (With Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0030tr View Post
Unfortunately both of these links are dead ends.. No reply from either person..
My sunroof needs one guide replaced from what I have gathered from reading all these posts. I was looking for a simple quick fix but after looking at all the time and work one has to do in order to fix a sunroof I rarely use (I live in hot n humid South Florida) it's best to just leave it alone since it's shut anyway.

When it first failed I looked up and pushed lightly on it and saw this part sliding back and forth depending on if I was trying to open or close it and thought it would be a sure simple fix and perhaps all I had to do was reattach a piece that slipped off the (r) arm that helped slide open the window but now after reading what's all involved forget it .

No wonder when it first happened my mechanic said it was a job for a body man and passed on it. He must of knew the time it would take and didn't care to see me freak when he told me the cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2002saturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2002saturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2002saturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
hubesiagosa29
hubesiagosa29 is on a distinguished road

I am so greatful for the information and illustrations, its really helped me alot.

[url=http://primus.org.uk/]Professional seo services[/url]
[url=http://1stpetinsurance.co.uk/]Pet insurance[/url]
[url=http://convertyourgold.com/]Cash for gold[/url]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hubesiagosa29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hubesiagosa29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hubesiagosa29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Anyone with an update to this thread?? I could use a cheap fix for an '01 SC2 sunroof. The SRD seems like a decent deal, but would like a cheaper (good) option if it is out there.

It seems like Jeff was able to come up with a fix. So it seems like there should be another option out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Jacobin813
Jacobin813 is on a distinguished road

.youtube.com/watch?v=UUEfB_W-hMg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jacobin813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jacobin813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jacobin813 is offline   Reply With Quote