SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
jpdiddy
jpdiddy is on a distinguished road

Default Heated Windshield washer fluid

I did a search and noticed some others having issues with this feature (heated washer). Given all the other "features" of the owners manual that do not seem to work as documented I was wondering if anyone has figured this one out?

I hit the rear defrost button, wait 30-40 seconds, use the windshield "cleaner" lever, and it does not seem heated any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpdiddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpdiddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Heated Windshield washer fluid

jpdiddy... please confirm that your Vue came with the Convenience Package. A $505 option that includes Rain-sensing wipers, heated windshield-washer nozzles, Remote Vehicle Starter System, and Universal Home Remote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
jpdiddy

Yes it is an XR with the package, with remote start (which works), heated seats and rain sensing wipers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jpdiddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
MilwaukeeMike
MilwaukeeMike is on a distinguished road

How would you test this?

Stick your hand in front of the nozzle and have someone actuate the washer?

I would think that if the fluid was heated, you'd see steam rise from a cold windshield.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MilwaukeeMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MilwaukeeMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

when ive used mine alot of steam when it hits the windshield

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Clyde
Clyde is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

I had this in my first '08 VUE and I swear it never did work properly (although i only had the thing for about 2wks)

I live in a COLD climate and it never did melt the ice on the windshield - I know It's probabally not supposed to be THAT good but I thought I would at least use that as a test. I never did see 'steam' that the sales guy told me i should see.

I chose not to go with this package in the second VUE and instead dropped money into an after-marker remote starter that actually works if you are outside arms length of the vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Clyde's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Clyde reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
jpdiddy

I have never seen any steam, I tried to melt ice the other day, it it did not appear to be hot, I suppose a test of squirting yourself with hot washer fluid would seem appropriate. I will test this afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
PortCityShawn

2002 VUE 2.2L

jpdiddy... now at work & went to the lot to try it myself. Currently 35 degrees F. here in NH. No steam was visible after following the procedure in the manual. I held my hand in the stream and could discern no appreciable heating of the fluid. I have heard other Saturn Sales Consultants describe this feature as a way to melt ice on the windshield and never gave it a 2nd thought until today.

I spoke to the Service Coordinator and he looked up the tech information on the Heated Washer nozles. That document (ID: 1887124) describes the nozles as having "an electrical heating element molded into the nozle assembly. This prevents washer fluid icing on the nozzle during cold conditions. The nozzles operate only when the rear window defogger is activated."

So, it looks like they may be operating as intended... i.e. heating just enough to prevent icing and allow the washer fluid to do the job of cleaning & de-icing... not spraying heated fluid on your windshield. Hope that helped!

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

mine steams and melts ice but its an outlook. probably a different system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
jpdiddy

Thanks that is interesting, although that "feature" seems a little yell useless, considering in colder climates we typically by washer fluid that won't freeze...

The salesman told me that same thing, no big deal, just good to know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Dust
Dust is on a distinguished road

If you heated your washer fluid, the methanol would evaporate too quickly, and you would be left with only water. If you want to melt ice, use more alcohol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dust's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dust reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

but why cant they make the vue system like the outlook? when the oputlook heated fluid comes out its plenty heated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
PortCityShawn

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
but why cant they make the vue system like the outlook? when the oputlook heated fluid comes out its plenty heated
OK... Actually took the time to read the window stickers for the respective Convenience Packages. Different vehicles, different features.

Vue: "Heated windshield washer nozzles"

Outlook: "Heated Windshield washer fluid"

FYI- the brochure for the Vue states "Heated Windshield washer fluid" though... I'm sure somebody up at Saturn Corporate will get right on that!

Shawn

Last edited by PortCityShawn; 03-10-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Typos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

thanks for the reply. im sure the outlook is the american system and the vue is for europe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
jpdiddy

I will have to check my window sticker, the web site states "washer fluid" the owners manual:

"Heated Washer Fluid (if equipped)
Press the
Rear Window Defogger
button on the climate controls to activate
the heating of the windshield washer
fluid. The heated washer fluid will help
clear ice, tree sap and bugs from
the windshield. It may take up to 40
seconds to heat the washer fluid"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
2QuickZ's
2QuickZ's is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2007 AURA XR

I've never seen steam come out of mine but they do seem to do a better job of cleaning frost than regular fluid. Not so much on the ice, though.

2008 Saturn Vue XR - FWD, Ruby Red, tan leather
2007 Saturn Aura XR - Midnight Blue, ebony leather (SOLD)
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - M6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2QuickZ's's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2QuickZ's reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2QuickZ's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The heater washer fluid on the Buick Lucerne worked great. The fluid was hot and steamy. From when you activate it there's a 30 second delay while it heats the fluid, and then it sprays on the windshield.

Disappointing, I was also under the impression the 08 VUE had the same system.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #18
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiddy View Post
I will have to check my window sticker, the web site states "washer fluid" the owners manual:

"Heated Washer Fluid (if equipped)
Press the
Rear Window Defogger
button on the climate controls to activate
the heating of the windshield washer
fluid. The heated washer fluid will help
clear ice, tree sap and bugs from
the windshield. It may take up to 40
seconds to heat the washer fluid"
This is a known error in the owners manual.

The statements in the owners manual were "lifted" from technical details of the heated fluid system such as that used Outlook and other GMs. The VUE system uses electric heating elements in the nozzles that are activated when the rear defost is ON. There function is generally to prevent nozzle freeze up and insure proper delivery of the fluid in below freezing ambients.

The 2008 Vue order guides, RPO designation (and window sticker) refer to this feature as:
"XA7 Washer Nozzles, Heated"

Sorry, no steam!
Kind of like, Sorry no compass! (at least on some 08 Vues)
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote