SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
mister saturn
mister saturn is on a distinguished road

Default The security system is keeping my 2001 Saturn from starting

I have an S series 2001 3door. Recently the battery cable came unplugged, and when it was plugged back on, the security system has come on and won't shut off. It blinks a few times but won't shut off quickly. The manual says to wait 10 minutes then start it but it doesn't work. The engine turns once then shuts off. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mister saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mister saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mister saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: The security system is keeping my 2001 Saturn from starting

Normally there's a procedure similar to what you experienced and your owner's manual should cover this eventuality. As an alternate method you can remove the negative cable for a minute and then attach it again, keeping the remote nearby to shutoff the alarm/reset the system. Sometimes the first re-attachment of the battery cable confuses the body control module (BCM), it controls the Saturn security system and usually resets automatically but occasionally needs a little help like removing the battery cable again before attaching it a second time. Electronics isn't 100% without some errors and this may be just a one time event and not worth worrying about if you're successful. If this doesn't work and you've found your owner's manual to review the reset procedures, there's similar information in the How-to Tips library that you'll have to wade through or else it may require a tow to Saturn. Hopefully you'll have avoided this by getting the system reset properly.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
mister saturn

Thank you, I'll try that in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mister saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

I have been installing alarms for about 7 years nows. one thing i might try is every alarm has a master fuse in it if you can find it, it should be somewhere underneath the dash driverside. It should be a red fuse. The reason why your car starts and then dies sounds to me that it has a kill switch in it. Also i know that the new models of saturns have a chip in the key i believe. The best thing i could tell you is have saturn look at it or take it to a alarm shop and have them figure it out. Hopefully that was some of help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
mister saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturncrzy View Post
I have been installing alarms for about 7 years nows. one thing i might try is every alarm has a master fuse in it if you can find it, it should be somewhere underneath the dash driverside. It should be a red fuse. The reason why your car starts and then dies sounds to me that it has a kill switch in it. Also i know that the new models of saturns have a chip in the key i believe. The best thing i could tell you is have saturn look at it or take it to a alarm shop and have them figure it out. Hopefully that was some of help.
I changed the battery today, still nothing. I had a mechanic look under the dash for a red fuse, but he couldn't find it. There seems to be more fuses on the center console on the passenger side, could it be there? Also none of my sets of keys seem to have chips in them. Any other suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
mister saturn

Quick note, the mechanic's scan tool gave an error code about the BTSI. I'm reading somethreads on it, but can someone give me some details about it? Should I try disassembling it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Old95SL2
Old95SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1997 SL1

Did you leave the key in the 'on' position for the 10 minutes before you tried starting it. I'm not sure if Saturn ever used the Passlock system like in other GM vehicles of that time, but I remember reading somewhere with that system, you leave the key in the on position until the security light goes off, then back off and it should start.
Something like this comes to mind, might give it a read and see if it seems like any of it could apply.

Last edited by Old95SL2; 03-10-2008 at 05:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old95SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old95SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old95SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
mister saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old95SL2 View Post
Did you leave the key in the 'on' position for the 10 minutes before you tried starting it. I'm not sure if Saturn ever used the Passlock system like in other GM vehicles of that time, but I remember reading somewhere with that system, you leave the key in the on position until the security light goes off, then back off and it should start.
Something like this comes to mind, might give it a read and see if it seems like any of it could apply.
Yes we've tried leaving the key in, the light eventually goes off, and then I turn it off and try starting it, no luck. The security light always blinks a few times then stays on. I looked at that thread, I'm not sure if the starter is dead, it does turn once, sounding like it's going to start. And it always turns at least once, every time I turn the key in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
mister saturn

Also it's not a random thing, it hasn't started at all since last Friday, even after many tries. Always the same thing with the security light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
dejaun
dejaun is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem now.
I am not sure if you have since fixed this problem.
I have a 2002 SL Series.

When i try to start my car if the security light is blinking it will not start (kill switch)
if i wait between 20-40 mins it will stay solid and start fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dejaun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dejaun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dejaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I doubt the OP will reply on a 4yr old thread.

What you have is the 10-minute 'sit in the corner' tamper mode, delaying a start until waiting 10-minutes until the security indicator stops flashing before cycling the ignition switch off for a restart. Theoretically, Passlock sensors in the ignition switch housing last forever and there doesn't seem to be any history here about wear and tear causing issues as our cars age.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
crmatchett
crmatchett is on a distinguished road

Resetting the passlock system on your car is fairly straightforward. The whole process takes 30 minutes. If you make a mistake during the process, you will have to start over.
1. Turn ignition switch to run position.
2. Momentarily turn key to start position. Do not start vehicle.
3. Wait 10 minutes.
4. When security light changes from flashing to off, or from on to off, turn ignition switch to off position.
5. Perform this process 3 times.(starting with step one)After third time, vehicle should start on next ignition cycle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crmatchett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crmatchett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crmatchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
brianva
brianva is on a distinguished road

i have been struggling with trying to reset security so that i can start car, replaced ignition, when repeating the 3x cycle, do you have to try and turn motor, step 2 every cycle? any info would be much appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brianva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brianva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brianva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes. Follow post #12 as described but wait a little longer, say 11 minutes before cycling the ignition switch OFF for another ON cycle of 11 minutes. The end of the 3rd cycle (turning ignition OFF) should allow starting/running on the next try.

Just to be sure, your car is from model year 2000+? Passlock is only for 3rd generation S-series using remote keyless entry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
brianva
brianva is on a distinguished road

yes, i forgot to put that info into thread, it's a 2001 saturn L200 sedan, i had to replace ignition and ignition housing, and am having no luck resetting, my understanding from son is his key fob will not lock/unlock car either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brianva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brianva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brianva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Newbie mistake posting your L-series car in the S-series forum. While Passlock is the same across all models and acts differently in one (Ion), its better to repost in the L-series tech forums. Modify your personal profile so car model appears under your name. Add relative info in the post like mileage and all maintenance done to date to give anyone reading, a picture perspective. And the problems you're having.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!