SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
4myoutlook
4myoutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Trailer wiring, Hook-up of Battery Feed and Trailer Brake Fuses.

I have looked back as far as 7-3-07 and not found any info on this. The owner's manual indicates on page 372 that fuses for the Trailer Battery Feed and Trailer Brake located in the under hood fuse block (on the passenger's side) are not hooked up. My dealer's service writer has not heard of this. Her reply was bring it in and let them look at it. I have the tow package and the brake harness that comes with the car.

This is where I need you guys. Has anybody had this done and how much does it cost (hooking up the fuse wires). I have not looked at it yet but maybe I can do it?

Needless to say I plan to tow a 21ft drailer with a loaded weight of 3,500 lbs. Tongue weight of 400 lbs. I will have an equal-i-zer hitch.

Does anyone have any experience with a trailer of this size? If so can you provide me any fuel milage figures and how does the car perform.

Thanks much in advance for any information concerning my questions. Keep the shinny side up and rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4myoutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4myoutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4myoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Trailer wiring, Hook-up of Battery Feed and Trailer Brake Fuses.

As far as I know all of the fuses are installed for the trailer package. The wiring harness for the trialer brake is not installed and needs to be connected. It should plug into a connecter under the dash once it is properly wired to an electric trailer brake.

Acid test is to check (owners manual for location) which fuses are for the battery feed and trailer brake and see if they are actually there.

As for the mileage when you pull a trailer don't expect it. You will get yardage.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

If you have the factory tow package, everything is properly hooked up; as far as I could tell, the owners manual was incorrect on this subject.

To use trailer brakes, you need a trailer brake controller. These days the manufacturers have the cable required to connect the controller to a connector under the dash provided for the purpose. And if you're exceptionally curious, the wiring diagrams are available by searching this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
As for the mileage when you pull a trailer don't expect it. You will get yardage.
Heh. I towed a 2000lb trailer (plus gear) all over Atlantic Canada last year, and averaged about 14 l/100km (17 MPG), which is actually better than I'm getting right now in the cold weather (city driving, though).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
4myoutlook
4myoutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Harald, thanks much for your reply. Your information is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4myoutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4myoutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4myoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote