SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Click-it
Click-it is on a distinguished road

Default 07 Saturn Outlook rust everywhere.

Well just bought my Outlook 3 months ago and I have rust everywhere it looks like orange pepper all over the entire truck, Anybody else have this problem? Saturn Service guy looks at it and I quote says " Crap thats not good". Waiting on a decision on what they are going to do. :

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Click-it's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Click-it reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Click-it is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Saturn Outlook rust everywhere.

sounds like a classic case of rail dust. hot metal gets on the paint from shipping and it rusts. i guess they have some type of clay that they rub on it and it get the metal out and all is ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Click-it

Really? so something like this is common?

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Click-it reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it happens. you dont see it everyday but it happens. my brother had it on a new white 91 gmc jimmy i sold him. over the years it wrecked his truck. i have a white 08 outlook. after washing it a couple months ago and getting the salt off the back had some. it was only a couple of spots. i used some wax and the rust went away. i asked the saturn rep and he told me about the stuff they use on it now days. he described it as clay like and it puulls the metal off of the car. the hot sinders hit the car from the train wheels and stick to the paint. salt makes them rust and just need to get them off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Click-it

Okay I think its called Mothers Clay bar. I have heard of it before.

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i hope it solves your problem. if not with such a new veghicle id ask for a new car as an exchange.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Click-it

I have been already thinking on that. Even thinking on calling my Lawyer I have just for some advice.

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Word of advice: If you bring lawyers into this at this point you might as well declair yourself a lepper with your retailer. You will have to work through corporate to even get your oil changed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Click-it

I was just going to ask for advice. Maybe where you are at they will treat you that way. Most dealers wouldn't want this on their record. If a dealership gets a legit complaint they get there hands slapped hard by Mother Saturn and I know this for a fact. I know somebody running one of their Dealer ships.

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Click-it

Saturn just called me claiming rail dust and a bulletin is coming out for it.

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Bruce_Lee
Bruce_Lee is on a distinguished road

I would like to see what you are talking about.

If you could, please post some pictures. That would be helpful for some of us. Then we can look for it as well.

BL

2008 Saturn Outlook XR FWD
Silver exter and ebony cloth interior
Navigation (w/ rear view camera)
Trailering Pkg.

No brand loyalty; My loyalty is to my money!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce_Lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce_Lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Lee View Post
I would like to see what you are talking about.

If you could, please post some pictures. That would be helpful for some of us. Then we can look for it as well.

BL
What the hell is rail dust? How and where do you pick it up? Jeezuz H.! My Outlook is now 13 months old and 19,000 miles and I don't have any rust and I drive over railroad tracks every friggin' day to get into my development. In fact, none of my four cars has rail dust--whatever that is--or any rust spots whatsoever.

You guys need to wash your cars more often.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it comes from shipping it on the rails. by the time you own the cars if it has it its too late

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Rail dust is a very fine deposit left on cars as they are shipped via train. Certain parts of a train car receive more dust than other parts. The dust is metal in nature and so rusts instantly depending upon the humidity. Once on the car, the dust "sticks" to the surface and continues to rust on the surface. It's easier to see on a lighter car and can be felt on darker ones.
A clay bar does a good job of removing the rail dust and any other environmental deposits. Washing alone is not enough to remove the rail dust.

2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
Click-it

They are using some type of acid wash to remove it and then if that don't work they said off to the body shop.

07 Outlook

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
Tupperwaresales
Tupperwaresales is on a distinguished road

I would strongly reccomend not getting any lawer involved. Dealerships can basically tell you to go pound salt. If you have an issue, exchange the car if you are within those limits. Dont waste your time and money. Its no ones fault except for the transporting company. Its pretty common to have body damage in transport. you should see the repars that happen in the factories. Their body shops a constantly busy fixing stuff that they screwed up. Theres probably more bondo on new cars than a recently wecked one. good luck

Beer is proof that god loves us- Ben Franklin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tupperwaresales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tupperwaresales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tupperwaresales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

All it needs is a clay bar. As said, VERY common thing on every car, even those that are only a week or so old.

Case in point, our '08 Malibu had a only a few dealer lot days, but in the time of transport to dealer, it already did have contamination in the paint--to extent that, when done a week ago, the fresh clay bar came back very dirty. It pulled a LOT of rail and other contaminants out that could actually never be seen or felt. Again, on a car that had little to no lifespan yet and that had been polished/sealed once initially and hand-washed weekly.

As a detailer, or ex one, this is common. Even the most well kept and constantly detailed vehicles will have contamination in and on the paint, due to things like rail dust (common in shipment and also storage yards located near by), industrial fallout, and a variety of other things in the atmosphere.

Decent article:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

Not sure what they're acid wash will do, but any detailer worth their weight could probably have the "stuff" removed and all smooth very quickly & easily with a clay bar. Too bad dealer techs and even their service departments--let alone the manufacturer--know little more than how to quickly run a car through the wash and spray tire shine on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Griots Garage also sells the clay bar. I have been using it for about ten years. I use it before I wax and it removes tar, sap, and road dust, etc.

Run your hand across your cleaned hood. If you feel small bumps, etc, than you should use this clay on your car before it is waxed. The clay bar is the size of a bar of soad and you need to use a liquid as a lubricant to move your clay across your car.

As previously mentioned, you can actually see the tar, etc on the bar. You are done, when you run your hand across the paint and it feels as smooth as glass!!

Good luck!! (also x-detailer)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Is a clay bar meant for just metal panels or will it help on painted polymer ones too? My hood, roof and horizontal portion of my trunk lid are all steel but the doors, fenders, bumpers and vertical trunk lid are plastic.

This sounds like a viable layer that I need to add to my normal car care regimen.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
Is a clay bar meant for just metal panels or will it help on painted polymer ones too? My hood, roof and horizontal portion of my trunk lid are all steel but the doors, fenders, bumpers and vertical trunk lid are plastic.

This sounds like a viable layer that I need to add to my normal car care regimen.
Tethys... It's a paint thing. Metal or Polymer underneath, doesn't matter. A quick Google search came up with this if it helps: http://www.squidoo.com/claybardetailing

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote