SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Tune Up Check List

Tune upís are important to the s-series cars life. Proper tune ups means a happy car which means a happy driver A lot of you ask what to do, so this should help.

These do NOT correspond to mileage. This list encompasses what should (ideally) be inspected and changed if needed at every oil change.

Change oil (every 3K)
Change Oil filter (every 3K)
Clean air filter
Change transmission fluid & filter (automatics every 30k)

ONLY ONCE - Check Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor AND connector (pre 2002) Replace if needed
Check transmission fluid level
Check power steering fluid
Check brake fluid
Check clutch hydraulic fluid (if manual)
Check windshield washer fluid
Check coolant level and color
Check spark plugs (replace if needed)
Check spark plug wires (especially for corrosion at both ends)
Check for corrosion at coil pack towers
Check battery terminals for corrosion (clean if needed)
Check for oil leaking near valve cover
Check for oil leaking in the spark plug wells
Check tire pressure
Check tire tread depth
Check PCV for rattle
Check vacuum lines
Check radiator hoses for cracks
Check serpentine belt for cracks

Clean Throttle body
Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR)

Other things to check if felt worthy enough:
Check brake pad thickness
Check rear brakes pads (if disk) (adjust if needed)
Check rear drum shoes (if drum brakes) (adjust if needed)

A clean engine is always a good thing. So spend some time under the hood with at least a rag and clean that valve cover and all the other components in the engine bay

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1
Default Re: Tune Up Check List

Check rear brakes pads (if disk) (adjust if needed) <<< how the hell can u adjust the disk brake?????

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Check the plugs every change?

I can see keeping up on things, but if you pull your plugs that often, you won't have a washer left by the end of the service life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post

I can see keeping up on things, but if you pull your plugs that often, you won't have a washer left by the end of the service life.
True they wouldnt be checked every change. I should have moved that to the "Other things to check if worthy enough catagory".

Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post

After coming across a post by Wolfman, he DOES suggest checking them every oil change. He also recommends regaping them at every change. Doing this allowed him to keep his spark plugs for MANY miles with NO issue at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Change transmission fluid & filter (automatics every 30k)
This will help lead to transmission issues later in life. I'd highly recommend changing the fluid and filter more often then 30k. I do it every 8 to 10k.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
After coming across a post by Wolfman, he DOES suggest checking them every oil change. He also recommends regaping them at every change. Doing this allowed him to keep his spark plugs for MANY miles with NO issue at all.
As much as I think Wolfmans posts are very informative and helpful, there is a point of excess in my opinion. It surely wouldn't hurt to check your plugs every change, but unless you have a reason to think you have a problem it's rather excessive.

I've run plugs over 50K miles without ever pulling or regapping them, and with no issues.

And even though they obviously create a lot of problems, suggesting to change the ECTS at the first change is similar. Ours had over 100K miles and almost 13 years on it, and once removed tested almost the exact same specs as the new one.

There are a lot of preventative measures a person can take, but in many cases those things will make themselves apparent in a performance and/or mileage drop. Some might say to do an MMO soak every change, but those in the non oil burner club probably wouldn't agree that it's needed.

Though I must admit... I don't much like auto trannys in small cars anyway, and after Low's statement I'd almost be scared to own one in a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinRevver View Post
Check rear brakes pads (if disk) (adjust if needed) <<< how the hell can u adjust the disk brake?????
EDIT:
Other things to check if felt worthy enough:
Check Front brake pad thickness (replace if needed)
Check rear brake pad thickness (disk) (replace if needed)
Check rear brake shoes (Drum) (adjust/replace if needed)
Check top motor mount (replace if needed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I wish I would have checked my plugs sooner. Here they are at 31,000.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...08/limit/views

Also, cleaning the EGR. It was acting up right before changing the plugs. When Wolfman talked about checking plugs every 5,000 miles I thought not for me. But, based on how my plugs looked this time I need to check them well before a 30,000 Service interval. Regarding the ECTS. I changed it well before it failed. It had hairline cracks. After my experience with a dirty EGR almost leaving me stranded I am thankful I was proactive with the ECTS. My 83 year old client will thank me taking care of things before they fail. Now to change my transmission fluid. LowSaturn, why change so soon? Is it your experience that even Mobil 1 won't go 30,000 miles on a Saturn automatic? I had reverse slam 50,000+ miles ago but the 30,000 mile intervals seem to be working fine. I did use some Lube Control (LC20) every 10,000 miles. That may help keep my valve body clean.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I wish I would have checked my plugs sooner. Here they are at 31,000.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...08/limit/views

Also, cleaning the EGR. It was acting up right before changing the plugs. When Wolfman talked about checking plugs every 5,000 miles I thought not for me. But, based on how my plugs looked this time I need to check them well before a 30,000 Service interval. Regarding the ECTS. I changed it well before it failed. It had hairline cracks. After my experience with a dirty EGR almost leaving me stranded I am thankful I was proactive with the ECTS. My 83 year old client will thank me taking care of things before they fail. Now to change my transmission fluid. LowSaturn, why change so soon? Is it your experience that even Mobil 1 won't go 30,000 miles on a Saturn automatic? I had reverse slam 50,000+ miles ago but the 30,000 mile intervals seem to be working fine. I did use some Lube Control (LC20) every 10,000 miles. That may help keep my valve body clean.

I'm certainly not saying to NOT check the plugs, and especially if you have any problem with the way the car is running, as this often leads to quicker plug decay. I'm simply saying that I feel 3-5K is excessive if you don't have any indications of performance or MPG problems.

Our EGR made the car next to impossible to drive, as it wouldn't idle at all. I would personally put more weight on checking that early rather than items that tend to slowly degrade in MPG or performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!