SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
npdimonte
npdimonte will become famous soon enoughnpdimonte will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
Question Water leak in trunk

Ok, I have a problem that has been bugging me for some time now. I have this leak in my trunk on the driver side. I have water that fills up the rear driver side pocket. I also have water damage on the driver side rear door, along the bottom of door frame, rust. Some times after a rain, I can open this door and water will gush out. However, the water in the trunk I have to scoop up to remove. I have seen other 91-96 SL2 with the same rust problem.

I had a body shop look into it once, but they couldn't find the problem. Has anyone ever dealt with this issue before? Any solutions?

Thanks,
Nick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to npdimonte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help npdimonte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
npdimonte is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
ringed1
ringed1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default Re: Water leak in trunk

Same problem here with water in the trunk. I currently have paper towel strategically spread around to see if the water is dripping from above or running down the side of the trunk somewhere. If I can figure it out, I'll post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ringed1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ringed1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ringed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Dreamimage
Dreamimage is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
1994 SL1

I had the same issue with my 95 Saturn.
you should climb into the trunk of the car with a flashlight and then get someone to spray the trunk with water as you try look for the leak.

Once you, if you do, just get some clear silicone and fill the area with it. Just make sure you clean off all the water and possible mildew buildup before you do this.

My leak came thru the welds around where the taillight sits. It'd not too hard to fix.

Also, be sure to open up the spare tire well, and make sure there is no water in the well. My well had tons of water in it, so watch for that.

it could also be the weather stripping for the trunk along with a possibility of a weld behind one of the back exterior fenders. There are other threads about these issues, just do a search.

www.inblacklight.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dreamimage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dreamimage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dreamimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
npdimonte
npdimonte will become famous soon enoughnpdimonte will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamimage View Post
I had the same issue with my 95 Saturn.
you should climb into the trunk of the car with a flashlight and then get someone to spray the trunk with water as you try look for the leak.

Once you, if you do, just get some clear silicone and fill the area with it. Just make sure you clean off all the water and possible mildew buildup before you do this.

My leak came thru the welds around where the taillight sits. It'd not too hard to fix.

Also, be sure to open up the spare tire well, and make sure there is no water in the well. My well had tons of water in it, so watch for that.

it could also be the weather stripping for the trunk along with a possibility of a weld behind one of the back exterior fenders. There are other threads about these issues, just do a search.
After posting this I discovered other posts that had leaks in their trunk through welds seams. (I can be a at times) This is what I kind of thought, but my more pressing problem is the water that collects in the rear driver side door jam.

I have had a body shop repair the rust holes, replace the door seals, performed water test, and nothing helps. I'm at a lost with the door.

Maybe its linked with the trunk, but I doubt it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help npdimonte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
mjdub
mjdub is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I had the same problem with a leak (well, not exact same).
My leak is right above the driver/suicide door (around where they meet)...
Water appears to be coming through and into where the seatbelt comes from the roof and it just slowly gathers there and eventually causes a wet spot on the roof and drips onto my back seats.
I haven't a clue where the leak is, but assume it's coming from where the roof meets that black (on my car it's black atleast) trim. I have checked the door seals and they aren't ever wet and seem to work well.
Anyhow, it only happens when it rains ALL day, not if it only rains for a couple of hours or when i wash my car, so it is slow to collect.

I wish you luck with finding yours, because I am also in the process of finding my leak.

Works in progress...

New Inner Dome/Trunk/Cluster Lights
Replace front speakers
Interior door panels
Fix Sunroof...
Full Exhaust

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjdub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjdub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
kcps1717
kcps1717 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but on the passenger side of my car. I got a towel there now to soak up all the rain.

Johnny A.
96 Saturn sl1
5 speed
16" rims
12" W6 with a 500/1 JL amp
Parents cars
06 Ion Dad's
03 Ion Mom's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kcps1717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kcps1717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kcps1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
dnamit
dnamit is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Do you have a sunroof? On my 93 SC2, one of the drain lines had come loose in the trunk, and filled the trunk with water. Also, one of the other lines got clogged with debris, and flooded the passenger compartment.

My 94 SC2 has a rear deck spoiler, and water would get into the trunk through the mounting holes for it. I sealed the area around where the spoiler attached to the trunk, and that solved the problem.

Hope this is helpful.

93 SC2
94 SC2
96 SL2
05 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnamit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnamit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
npdimonte

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamit View Post
My 94 SC2 has a rear deck spoiler, and water would get into the trunk through the mounting holes for it. I sealed the area around where the spoiler attached to the trunk, and that solved the problem.
This weekend I spent sealing the metal seams on my driver side rear quarter panel. I did this after I took the carpet liner out of the trunk and noticed water lines in the area that water collected.

Since I was into sealing leaks this weekend, I sealed the rain gutter on the driver side, maybe this will solve my problem with water collecting in the back driver side door.

Also, no sunroof.

Its suppose to get warmer here, around 40-50 degF this week. When that happens I'll water test my work. Hopefully all is good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

On the coupes, the trunk leak issue is normally a bad weld in the spaceframe under the rear quarter panel. On the sedans, it's possible it could be the same, but they are not known for it. It's usually clogged sunroof drains, for sedans. I had the bad weld problem in my 2002 SC1. Another possibility is bad door seals. I replaced mine on my SC1 as well. Also, trunk seal is another one to look at.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
npdimonte

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
On the coupes, the trunk leak issue is normally a bad weld in the spaceframe under the rear quarter panel. On the sedans, it's possible it could be the same, but they are not known for it. It's usually clogged sunroof drains, for sedans. I had the bad weld problem in my 2002 SC1. Another possibility is bad door seals. I replaced mine on my SC1 as well. Also, trunk seal is another one to look at.
I for got to mention the rust I discovered at these seams that I sealed. One was inside the trunk above the driver side hinge, mainly surface rust, but a seam is there, so I sealed it with RTV on top side. Another seam was next to the rear driver side light assembly. Most of the factory sealant was bad there and rust was forming in its place. I dug out most of the old sealant and replaced with RTV. Then a seam that ran on top of the spaceframe (about 1ft long) starting from the second seam I corrected had similar poor factory sealant. Dug out and replaced. This last seam appears to have allowed water to leak into the upper frame, which cause the most rust damage near the trunk in the rear wheel well. Its not a structural issue, so I'm not too concern.

Of course, I'm the odd ball that has a sedan with bad seams in the trunk.

I think the trunk repair will work, but I'm not so confident about the door leak issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
npdimonte

1993 SL2

If I continue to have trouble with water leaks I'm going to try something new.

I will take the carpet out, then sprinkle baby powder lightly on all the surfaces of the trunk. This will leave water trails that should lead me to the source. A drip from a spoiler fastener will leave a splat mark instead of a trial mark. I have four or five posts for my spoiler, so I have a high possibility for this to be a problem, but I think I would have notice rust on one of the nuts.

Maybe the baby power trick might help others.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Well after 9 years, I noticed the other day, that I had
about 4 inches of water in the hollow, on the driver side
of the trunk. I've never had a leak anywhere before, and
I was surprised to find the water there. I'm not sure
where it's comming from either. I don't seem to have
any leaks around the 3rd door, and I didn't have any
water in there after I washed the car either......not
sure where it's comming from.
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD View Post
Well after 9 years, I noticed the other day, that I had
about 4 inches of water in the hollow, on the driver side
of the trunk. I've never had a leak anywhere before, and
I was surprised to find the water there. I'm not sure
where it's comming from either. I don't seem to have
any leaks around the 3rd door, and I didn't have any
water in there after I washed the car either......not
sure where it's comming from.
Regards Sonny
99% chance it's from a gap in the rear quarter. They use some sort of sealant from the factory to seal up the gaps, but it doesn't always last that long, or they miss a spot.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
SonnyD
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

Quote:
99% chance it's from a gap in the rear quarter. They use some sort of sealant from the factory to seal up the gaps, but it doesn't always last that long, or they miss a spot.
Are you talking about where that little holding spot is?
I notice the sealant bead all around the differnt parts
of that area, but it all looks intact. I went out after I
posted and pulled the carpet away back there, and folded
the seatback own, but I didn't see any traces of leaks.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place from what your
talking about? I don't have a picture of the area, but
there's an electrical grommet for the wire to go through.
Hope I can find it before the rainy season!
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD View Post
Are you talking about where that little holding spot is?
I notice the sealant bead all around the differnt parts
of that area, but it all looks intact. I went out after I
posted and pulled the carpet away back there, and folded
the seatback own, but I didn't see any traces of leaks.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place from what your
talking about? I don't have a picture of the area, but
there's an electrical grommet for the wire to go through.
Hope I can find it before the rainy season!
Regards Sonny
I'm not sure where to look on the inside. I didn't diagnose mine, I only saw it with the rear quarter off and a crap load of weld sealer on the rear quarter where two parts of the space frame are welded together. It was weird to see my car driving around the parking lot without a rear bumper or right rear quarter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
2nd2no1
2nd2no1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I had the same problem I removed the rear quarter panel. Used silicone sealant on and around the welds. I haven't had leaky trunk since then, yeah the weather is suppose to be 40-50 Tues-Wed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2nd2no1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2nd2no1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2nd2no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #17
SonnyD
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

Quote:
I'm not sure where to look on the inside. I didn't diagnose mine, I only saw it with the rear quarter off and a crap load of weld sealer on the rear quarter where two parts of the space frame are welded together. It was weird to see my car driving around the parking lot without a rear bumper or right rear quarter.

Oh, ok....I may have someone go with me to the carwash,
and see if I can see it come in from inside. I would think
it would have to be comming in from higher then where it
is settling. I just don't see anyplace above, where it looks
like any water has ever come in. I'm starting to wonder if
it is happening when there is ice and snow on the car, and
its getting in through the trunk seal, but I don't see any
traces of it looking at the underside of the trunk carpet.
Looks like a weekend project
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
stefen1990
stefen1990 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

my 94 had a really bad leak, i noticed it in spring when we got the showers, i had to take it to the car wash to vacuum out the water (it was on the left side in that pocket thing too, my 98 doesnt leak at all and im glad-my 94's trunk smelt awful! off-subject, but my moms 2004 taurus, the spare tire compartment was COMPLETLY filled with water, we measured it and it was about 15 gallons....since then she's gotten a 07 cruiser which doesnt leak!

1998 SL2: Belle, My new baby (135k as of 2.28.08)
1994 SL2: Betty, My first car/Saturn, R.I.P. (rear end collision)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stefen1990's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stefen1990 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stefen1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
npdimonte

1993 SL2

Update:

It was in the low 50s so I water tested my sealant job. To my disappointment I still have a leak, however, it appears to be less. I had my daughter hold the garden hose (opened ended) and with low water pressure for this test. I held it near where the roof meets the rear window (more to the driver side) so that the water would just flow down toward the trunk. The water easily filled the gap between the rear window and the trunk lid. I watched with a flashlight and saw it dripping in the same locations that I sealed. I also discovered the other side was leaking the same way, just not as bad.

So, I added sealant to the passenger side and added more beneath the lower rear window trim. I noticed that the lower the water flow was, that is, the gap between the window and the trunk did not fill up all the way, the drips where less.

I'm wondering if the seal between the lower rear window near the trunk is bad. Its hard to see up there, so I was using my air compressor to force air though what ever might look like a potential leak spot. Discovered some using this method.

Tonight I will try the water test again since the RTV should be dry by then.

Nick D.
'93 SL2
'03 Jetta GLS TDI 5-spd, 54.3/44mpg (hw/city)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd, mpg (don't care!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdimonte View Post
Update:

It was in the low 50s so I water tested my sealant job. To my disappointment I still have a leak, however, it appears to be less. I had my daughter hold the garden hose (opened ended) and with low water pressure for this test. I held it near where the roof meets the rear window (more to the driver side) so that the water would just flow down toward the trunk. The water easily filled the gap between the rear window and the trunk lid. I watched with a flashlight and saw it dripping in the same locations that I sealed. I also discovered the other side was leaking the same way, just not as bad.

So, I added sealant to the passenger side and added more beneath the lower rear window trim. I noticed that the lower the water flow was, that is, the gap between the window and the trunk did not fill up all the way, the drips where less.

I'm wondering if the seal between the lower rear window near the trunk is bad. Its hard to see up there, so I was using my air compressor to force air though what ever might look like a potential leak spot. Discovered some using this method.

Tonight I will try the water test again since the RTV should be dry by then.
Did you have the rear quarter panels off for this? The spot I'm talking about on the coupes cannot be accessed with them on . And your trunk seal is likely bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation