SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
ivymotorsports
ivymotorsports is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Trouble code PO706 Transmission range sensor...?

I have a 1997 SC2 that i race and the check engine light came on.. Now it will not shift out of sec.gear.... Where is this PO706 Transmission range sensor at on the tran... Also will the speed sensor do this? My speedmeter dont work now..car is totally stock, it is a Auto tran, SC2 is a 1997

so is the switch bad?
DTC P0706 Trans Range Switch Performance

starts off in sec. gear and stays in sec gear. speedmeter will not work now.

where is all of the switchs and senors at on the tran?

Thanks for all the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ivymotorsports's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ivymotorsports reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ivymotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Saturn Trouble code PO706 Transmission range sensor...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymotorsports View Post
I have a 1997 SC2 that i race and the check engine light came on.. Now it will not shift out of sec.gear.... Where is this PO706 Transmission range sensor at on the tran... Also will the speed sensor do this? My speedmeter dont work now..car is totally stock, it is a Auto tran, SC2 is a 1997

so is the switch bad?
DTC P0706 Trans Range Switch Performance

starts off in sec. gear and stays in sec gear. speedmeter will not work now.

where is all of the switchs and senors at on the tran?

Thanks for all the help.
did this happen out of the blue...both issues at the same time?

Any work done on the car?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

This is a code for an automatic. You race one of those??? The range sensor the doodad with two harnesses on it where the cable goes to the transmission. P0706 can be that it's not adjusted properly or that there's something wrong with the wiring. I'll be tracking down a P0708 (a related code) this weekend. It's possible that the speedo not working is a symptom but, if you can get it to rev over 4K while moving, that's probably not the problem.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
ivymotorsports
ivymotorsports is on a distinguished road

Yes it did happen out of the blue...both issues at the same time..

Car is Totally Stock..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ivymotorsports's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ivymotorsports reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ivymotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
2K05GT
2K05GT is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Any Resolution to this... Mine is doing the same thing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2K05GT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2K05GT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

I'm thinking speed sensor. Here is a link for a Richpin Video on how to check the differential pin. You have to remove the speed sensor to check it, so you'll get the idea. If it was me I'd pull one off a U-pull junk yard if it's close by. http://www.youtube.com/user/richpin0.../0/-gqhGC5vKDY

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
2K05GT
2K05GT is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Well I found my issue with P0708, I failed to connect the Blk/Wht wire that provides a ground for the range sensor, be careful here as there are two 1/4 inch spade terminals side by side. One is for testing, the other is for ground; the test terminal has a small tab to help identify and prevent attaching the ground wire to it but it is confusing. AllData incorrectly states that the ground is provided by the transaxle case. It is actually provided by the Blk/Wht wire; the transaxle will work unreliably without the ground wire attached. FYI to all - the transaxle will work w/o the range sensor but will not shift smoothly. It will really bang in to gear when moving between reverse and drive and when upshifting. Also note that when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has detected a fault in the sensor the transaxle will start out in second gear, so that is a tipoff to a possible range sensor issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2K05GT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2K05GT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Daytripp
Daytripp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
Well I found my issue with P0708, I failed to connect the Blk/Wht wire that provides a ground for the range sensor, be careful here as there are two 1/4 inch spade terminals side by side. One is for testing, the other is for ground; the test terminal has a small tab to help identify and prevent attaching the ground wire to it but it is confusing. AllData incorrectly states that the ground is provided by the transaxle case. It is actually provided by the Blk/Wht wire; the transaxle will work unreliably without the ground wire attached. FYI to all - the transaxle will work w/o the range sensor but will not shift smoothly. It will really bang in to gear when moving between reverse and drive and when upshifting. Also note that when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has detected a fault in the sensor the transaxle will start out in second gear, so that is a tipoff to a possible range sensor issue.
I think I may have the same problem with my range sensor/switch. Have bad shifting still after replacing valve body.
So after reading your FYI about the black ground wire on the switch I removed it and went for a test drive. It drove the same way as before. *light bulb*
I'm now gonna pick up an ohm meter and check continuity. If it still drives the same I'll pick up a new switch.
This little clue really help! Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Daytripp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Daytripp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Daytripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Daytripp

1998 SL2

Update: picked up a multimeter from Wally world on the cheap. Did continuity test on range sensor and there is none to be found. Loosened 13mm bolts and moved the switch towards the engine looking for continuity, still none.
Ordered a new switch from my parts store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Daytripp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Daytripp

1998 SL2

Hmmm... Installed new switch and now I'm getting some reverse slam. Not sure if I've adjusted the cable tension correctly. I did not have reverse slam before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Both the cable and switch must be adjusted. These are links to the procedure.
Selector cable, do this check first.
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=52339

Range switch
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=49744

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Daytripp

1998 SL2

Those diagrams have been a great help.
I've got continuity across the switch. The shift lever itself is acting odd. Won't start unless I move the lever into N. Makes me think I've got the tension off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Daytripp

1998 SL2

It wants to slam down into 2nd when down shifting now. WTF!?
Has my bad range switch been masking the looseness of the input-output shaft?
And still reverse slam when I had none before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Daytripp

1998 SL2

Now I'm getting a weird chime without the key in the ignition. Ignition cyclinder is not stuck. When I wiggle the speed sensor wire it starts to chime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The VSS out on the differential? Then there is a connection problem, probably at the VSS. Clean it up with CRC QD-Electronics Connector cleaner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
Daytripp

1998 SL2

I just can't seem to adjust it. I'll keep trying. I adjust the tension and it'll start the first time in P but then when I move the lever to another selection and back to park it won't start.
I think I cleaned up the Vss connection. It's not chiming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The interlock is cable driven from the ignition switch. Might have to take up the center console and clean all the spilled liquids out of the interlock mechanisms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
Daytripp

1998 SL2

I'll check that next and I guess just fire up in N till then.
The chime sound has come back. I can replicate it by wiggling the two leads from the range sensor going to the rest of the bundle.
I'm not sure if that's affecting starting in P.
Much thanks for your thoughts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #19
Daytripp

1998 SL2

Late night test drive. It really slams in reverse. Never had it do that.
It's got a JY valve body that I tested the solenoids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That J/Y valve body sounds like it is a problem, no good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!