SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
cekeys
cekeys is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Engine Rattle during acceleration?

Car: 2001 Saturn SC2 DOHC Engine, 122,500 miles.

There is a rattle during harder acceleration (highway speeds going from 65 to 70). It goes away if you ease up on the gas. The sound is similar to shaking a spray paint can.

If on cruise control and I go over an overpass it will occur again when the engine pushes itself harder to maintain speed.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cekeys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cekeys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2
Default Re: Engine Rattle during acceleration?

mine has an exhaust leak and heat shield rattle that sound similar to what you describe.

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
cekeys
cekeys is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I thought I'd post a resolution to this problem I was having. I was chatting with my boss at work and he said, "It sounds like engine knock." He suggested bumping up to 89 octane on my next tank and see if it goes away.

So I ran the engine down to the refill light and filled up with 89 octane, the second tier gas. Within 5 minutes of driving the rattle went away! I haven't been able to get it to make the noise again. I've been trying. I push the engine hard and it sounds great.

I've been filling up with Shell gasoline 87 octane since that is the majority gas station around my area in Houston. I don't know if that means their gas is cheap or my engine is just older or what. I'm lead to believe its just my engine because my wife's civic has no issues with the regular. The 89 octane I used was Shell as well to keep the experiment conditions the same.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share fix. Thanks for listening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cekeys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cekeys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
fredsfix
fredsfix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1997 SL1

You may need to have the anti-knock sensor replaced - probably save the cost in the fuel price difference in a little while. If it really was a pre-ignition knock that you were hearing - that sensor is supposed to detect the knock and make fuel adjustments to prevent it. Off chance that the 2001 has something different but according to my haynes manual they all have one even though I've never heard of one going bad. Wire may have come off it would be and even cheaper fix!

You can't call yourself a mechanic if you're surprised it runs!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fredsfix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fredsfix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fredsfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
samsr
samsr is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SC2

First question, Does you saturn burn oil?
second question, Have you let it get low on oil?
Third question. Does it rattle when you rev it at an idle.

Hopefully is has not been low on oil. I am rebuilding an engine that did the same thing as yours. Except it rattled when I would rev it in neutral. It spun two bearings.
Get an accurate oil pressure reading and post it up.

If it has not been low on oil then I would look toward the engine mounts and exhaust for your rattle.

15 S-series put back on the road.
Now working on a 2000 LW2 v6 auto. Timing belt, 2 intake valves and more getting discovered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

fredsfix has probably got it. Back in the old days, we used to call the noise you are describing valve clatter. It's really detonation. It can be caused by advancing the spark timing too much for the grade of gas you're using. The thing is that the farther advanced the timing is, the better your mileage. Cars today have a knock sensor that serves to tell the PCM when it's advanced the timing too much. When the knock sensor senses detonation, the PCM retards the timing a bit. It sounds like yours isn't working. One test I've heard about but, not tried is to give the manifold a good whack (not hard enough to break anything) with a hammer at idle. If the sensor's working, you should here the idle change as the PCM retards the timing.

That said, I'll save 97coupe the trouble of posting and say that some people believe that you will get better mileage and performance, if you use a better grade of gas. So, you may choose to continue with what you're doing. I'd still replace that sensor.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote