SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
AIAG1917
AIAG1917 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Question thermostat in 6 cylinder 03 vue needs replaced

The dealership had the car to replace part of the exhaust under the extended warrenty for pollution devices. While they fixed it free, they informed me that the thermostat was sending a signal to the computer telling it the engine wasn't heating up, causing the computer to send more gas to the engine, hence "your using more gas than you need to" and eventually it will cause the catalytic converter to fail. They want about $360 to replace the thermostat, cause it's hard to access. Anybody have this problem, or replaced the thermostat themselves??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AIAG1917's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AIAG1917 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AIAG1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
sunshine010702
sunshine010702 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: thermostat in 6 cylinder 03 vue needs replaced

I have a 2003 L300. My Service Engine Light came on one day and stayed on, so I took the car to Advance Auto Parts to have a scan done [they do this free of charge]. The code indicated that the engine was running too cool, indicating the thermostat needed to be replaced. Once I found out it would cost over 400.00 to replace at the dealership [because of it's location], I decided to have the code cleared out [back to Advance again], in case it was just a one time fluke. I especially thought it would be a good idea to do this, since my car was running at the same temp as it always does, according to the temp gauge. Once the code is cleared, if there is a problem the service engine light should come back on within 150 miles of driving. Well, it's almost 1600 miles later and the light has not come back on. I would say my problem was a one time fluke and happened for whatever reason. It was extremely cold the morning this happened, so who knows. I hope this information is helpful to you. I've gotten lots of answers from the people on this web site and I think it's great. Every time I run into a problem....this is the first place I start asking questions. Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sunshine010702's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sunshine010702 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sunshine010702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

There must be something to these 3.0L VUE thermostat replacement- TONS of threads have been popping up about them lately.

Sorry I don't have a link, but if you search the VUE forums, you should be able to find it/them.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its probably worth a try to at least reset the code and see if the code stays off otherwise the alternative can be expensive as Saturn has quoted due to the thermostat location. Before I looked in my FSM, I thought the thermostat was located on the rear end of the engine - I couldn't be more wrong. Its on the opposite end by the belt area; the coolant must be drained, intake plenum and intake manifold removed before seeing the thermostat housing and its extension. The extension housing is removed with its two O-rings (O-rings discarded for new replacements) then the thermostat housing and thermostat can be removed for replacement. A very tedious job.

BTW, we share the same 3.0L V6 engine and I'm using the L300 FSM as reference.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
AIAG1917

2003 VUE 3.0L

had the code cleared at Saturn and so far it hasn't reappeared. I'll wait and see. Doesn't some of that stuff have to be removed to do a turn up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AIAG1917 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

....to do a turn up? I don't know that part of English yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

turn up = tune up?

or is it turn up as in the radio?

or perhaps "turnip"? - didn't know the Vue needed to eat its veggies...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Aha! Someone that reads mispellglish (mispelled English)! I can do 'dat too! I am a New Yawker you know. Thank you!

To answer the question, now that someone has interpreted for me and assume its "tune up", if a tune-up is needed for the Vue then its due at the 100k mile interval. Plugs are replaced requiring removal of the intake runners, the various vacuum hardware on the rear intake runner, the two ignition modules, and then the plugs are exposed for removal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

The thermostat issue is well known with the 3.0 engine. I had mine replaced last spring under the emissions control warranty (in Canada it's 5 years or 100k kilometers).

Code came back that the engine was running too cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
john95SW2
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Aha! Someone that reads mispellglish (mispelled English)! I can do 'dat too! I am a New Yawker you know. Thank you!

I'm from Joisey - of course I can...

I'm amazed at the # of thermostat posts lately - I read an Equinox forum too and they're popping up there too...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
AIAG1917

2003 VUE 3.0L

The thermostat issue is well known with the 3.0 engine. I had mine replaced last spring under the emissions control warranty (in Canada it's 5 years or 100k kilometers).

Code came back that the engine was running too cool.

Is the thermostat under the emissions control warranty??? Ours has been raised to 8years 80G miles, and if this is the case mine is covered, but the dealers service rep didn't mention that.... only the price to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

The t-stat is not covered under the 8/80 warranty since it's primary purpose is not to control emissions, like a evap solenoid or catalytic converter. Yes, it does contribute to the emission control system, but its purpose is to regulate engine temperature as it has been for centuries. Same with a gas cap or spark plug.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Well I guess I got lucky with this one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
AIAG1917

2003 VUE 3.0L

Tanks for the help, oops, Thanks, Iam turning the car up and tuning the rotors!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
AIAG1917

2003 VUE 3.0L

How about brakes? any of you ever replace the brakes and rotors. I just did my F-150, brakes rotors, bearing, and seals, with no problems, but I've never done a brake job on a saturn. Don't think there'ed be much difference, unless there's special tools involved?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
john95SW2
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

It will be just like any front wheel drive brake job you've ever done - you probably won't be changing the hub bearing I'm assuming and there's no seals to speak of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!