SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default About.com Names Astra Among Top 10 Cars for Teens

A new story entry has been added:

About.com Names Astra Among Top 10 Cars for Teens

Quote:
The Cars Guide over at About.com assembled a list of the top 10 best cars for teenager drivers. In order to make the list, the online portal said vehicles had to be "reliable, easy to drive, affordable, and well suited to young, inexperienced drivers."

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: About.com Names Astra Among Top 10 Cars for Teens

Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Focus looks like a baby Tarus= very uguly for both.

Civic I can def. understand, but a little pricey, and what the hell are "inexperienced" teens doing behind the wheel of a brand spakin new car...

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I like the SX4 hatch for its visibility and the Astra 3 door for its looks.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post

Civic I can def. understand, but a little pricey, and what the hell are "inexperienced" teens doing behind the wheel of a brand spakin new car...
Mommy and Daddy.. Wish i had Hook ups like that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightVue07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightVue07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Because it does not have enough power to get them in trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:

If I had a child and the money I would buy him/her a new car right now. New cars are safer with side airbags and stability control available. A lot of people would insist that their kids buy their own cars to teach them a "life lesson" on finances but I would rather not that parents play so fast and loose with their kids safety. Driving is dangerous, probably the most dangerous thing that any human does. You can teach your kids frugality with things that can't kill them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
If I had a child and the money I would buy him/her a new car right now. New cars are safer with side airbags and stability control available. A lot of people would insist that their kids buy their own cars to teach them a "life lesson" on finances but I would rather not that parents play so fast and loose with their kids safety. Driving is dangerous, probably the most dangerous thing that any human does. You can teach your kids frugality with things that can't kill them.
There are plenty of used cars out there that are "safe" as long as they have never been wrecked before. I have kids, but I still wouldn't buy them a brand new car just because it has ESC. Some stupid kids get it in their head that this car has a feature like that, they cannot get into an accident, I say the best avoidance is trained defensive driving skills, along with experience behind the wheel. If the weather is bad, then there is no need for them to be on the road. (unless it's an emergency) We could use the same argument here that parents should buy all kids an SUV because their bigger, so they must be safer in a crash. It all depends who is behind the wheel. Now I wouldn't just go out and buy my kids a 20 year old tempo, but I'm sure there are numerous "used" cars out there with good safety records that I wouldn't hesitate to buy after a good inspection has ben performed, but If I win the lottery, they may be getting a big SUV.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Because it does not have enough power to get them in trouble.
Have you driven one? It's no 'vette, but it's quick enough.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Have you driven one? It's no 'vette, but it's quick enough.
He just likes carping that it isn't an Ion, nor does it have a 2.2L or 2.4L Ecotec...regardless of the quality, refinement, and looks

As for it being a top new teen car...I understand that. Not that, theoretically, teens having brand new cars isn't a debatable thing, but when they have them, the $20k or under mark is usually where they're from. The Astra fits that perfectly, looks great, and drives fantastically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
There are plenty of used cars out there that are "safe" as long as they have never been wrecked before. I have kids, but I still wouldn't buy them a brand new car just because it has ESC. Some stupid kids get it in their head that this car has a feature like that, they cannot get into an accident, I say the best avoidance is trained defensive driving skills, along with experience behind the wheel. If the weather is bad, then there is no need for them to be on the road. (unless it's an emergency) We could use the same argument here that parents should buy all kids an SUV because their bigger, so they must be safer in a crash. It all depends who is behind the wheel. Now I wouldn't just go out and buy my kids a 20 year old tempo, but I'm sure there are numerous "used" cars out there with good safety records that I wouldn't hesitate to buy after a good inspection has ben performed, but If I win the lottery, they may be getting a big SUV.
I'll go with all that. The 20 year old (probably rusty) Tempo is a good example. A 2003 Taurus is a good car for a kid, a 87 Sentra is not. Or even worse a Geo Tracker. I was thinking that it's better for parents to put their kids in something newer and safer than your typical 16 year old can afford.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see the age to get permits raised to 18, few 16 or 17 year old kids are ready to drive, IMO. Also a mandatory driving school like Skip Barber instead of a written permit test and a pathetic Driver Ed course and send 'em on their way...that would be money better spent than on the car itself...

Anyway, a complete POS for a 1st car is a rite of passage...adversity helps you appreciate it when you can afford something better. Maybe then we wouldn't have so many new car customers bit*h about every little thing

Wow, I'm pissy today...sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote