SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
pldaisy2
pldaisy2 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Ion error codes long post

First time poster here, but I need some help and after hours of searching I am stuck.

I have a 2003 Ion that has some codes comming up. I took it to autozone last october, and got a few errors can't remember them for sure now, but basically it went along the lines of a cat converter replacement.

So the car has been sitting for while (no money to replace the $600 part at the time)

Was having problems when I hit about 50 mph it would bog out like it wanted to die on me. When hitting the gas quick to cross traffic it would really bog out.

So I take it in to Midas last week and get another test done on it just to make sure of the codes. They say I need new plugs so I replace them. And they say I need a new Cat. Well my husband decides to wait on the Cat for the moment cause he thinks he can get it cheaper. So I drive the car home from the shop no problems. It runs better then it has since we bought it.

I decide to just do the reset and see what happens, I unhooked the battery waited the 15 mins, then drove it for 40 miles.

Took it back into autozone for another test and 2 new codes spring up. Codes P1781 and P0700
I go home tell my hubby and we go out and check the fuses, he unplugged the fuses and the CEL went off and stayed off for about 30 mins.

I go back down to autozone to have codes pulled again, and I get P1781 and P0420 <-- is a bank 1 code.

Also I am wondering if the P1781 code will go off after so many miles?? Maybe it showed up since I did a reset on the comp?

I just want to know how to fix these, I am sick of the CEL being on, I cant get the car to pass emissions cause of this.

Also just to throw this in since my husband has driven the car alot more then I have he says that sometimes the CEL will go off and the inside of the car will smell like anti-freeze.

I really dont want to have to replace parts if it is not needed, but I really need to get this car to pass emissions. Tis the only car we have and been using moms car since last october. So someone please help me here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pldaisy2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pldaisy2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pldaisy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
jjgigs90
jjgigs90 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Ion error codes long post

Well here are what you codes mean

P0700 = TCM, MIL Requested. Could be a problem with traction control, thats my best guess. It basically says that your cars computer is having problems communicating with the TCM

P1781 = After browsing the web i found this answer

Engine Torque Signal Circuit, your cars computer has lots of issues i guess , the only answer i found was on an SRT forum ......no one has ever had this for an Ion.

2003 Ion Sedan
Manual Transmission

Lapeer,Michigan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjgigs90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjgigs90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjgigs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DTC P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

DTC P1781 Engine Torque Signal Circuit

From the OBD II Powertrain Codes listed in the How-to Tips on page 5. If you have an automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) you may be on the tip of an iceberg with cvt related problems that only Saturn can repair/replace. There's very little information here as cvt's were discontinued in the Vue line after horrendous problems developed. Although cvt's are in the Ions, its taken a few years before transmission problems are reported here on Saturnfans. You may want to read the threads in the Ion forums.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
kaviation
Advanced Member
kaviation is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
DTC P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

DTC P1781 Engine Torque Signal Circuit

From the OBD II Powertrain Codes listed in the How-to Tips on page 5. If you have an automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) you may be on the tip of an iceberg with cvt related problems that only Saturn can repair/replace. There's very little information here as cvt's were discontinued in the Vue line after horrendous problems developed. Although cvt's are in the Ions, its taken a few years before transmission problems are reported here on Saturnfans. You may want to read the threads in the Ion forums.

Yep, if those are the codes you continue getting, take it in to the dealer ASAP, If they diagnose it as VTI tranny problems, you may be getting a new tranny. Saturn warranted extended the warranty up to 75k. If you are real close to that mark, don't let them just throw an "additive" in their either, another poster on here had the same problem with their dealer, and the tranny eventually did the same thing as before the additive.

Good luck, and be firm (but calm) with the dealer about the tranny problems, let them know, you know there are known problems with the VTI tranny's in general.

Good luck.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
pldaisy2
pldaisy2 is on a distinguished road

Well my husband bought the car with 75k miles on it, it now has 99k miles on it. We bought an extended warrenty on it, but when I called them they would not tell me if it would be covered. This ends in october this year or 110k miles. Think this would be covered? They told me internal stuff is covered.

Also in the P0420 code, think just a O2 sensor will clear this up?

Also the p0700 code was not there on the second trip down to autozone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pldaisy2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pldaisy2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pldaisy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
kaviation
Advanced Member
kaviation is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaisy2 View Post
Well my husband bought the car with 75k miles on it, it now has 99k miles on it. We bought an extended warrenty on it, but when I called them they would not tell me if it would be covered. This ends in october this year or 110k miles. Think this would be covered? They told me internal stuff is covered.

Also in the P0420 code, think just a O2 sensor will clear this up?

Also the p0700 code was not there on the second trip down to autozone.

Why wouldn't they tell you if something was covered or not? That sounds fishy, it should tell you clear as day under "powertrain" section (if that's how your warranty info. is laid out)

I doubt the O2 sensor is even bad, as Fdryer listed the codes, neither one was for the o2 sensor. Sometimes the readers athe the parts stores dive you the wrong codes, their just general scanners and are not very accurate for troubleshooting purposes. I think other posters on here have gotten other codes too when they have been having VTI tranny problems. Maybe a quirk?

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote