SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
justinchristie
justinchristie is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
1999 SL1
Default Wolfman's reverse slam fix with PICTURES!

We were experiencing a slight reverse slam in our 1999 SW1. A reverse slam is the “clunk” of changing the gears in an automatic transmission from reverse to any other gear. In Saturn S-Series cars, this is a common problem - usually the culprit of not maintaining the maintenance schedule of the automatic transmission.

After reading countless stories and fixes I came across Wolfman's reverse slam fix; I did it yesterday on our SW1. I performed it in -7 degree weather, and my hand are still cold from yesterday.

NOTE: This procedure is still Wolfman's brain-child, I take no "kudos" for coming up with this fix. I just wanted to take pictures of the procedure and post them here so it will help others along

Here are the steps:

Get the right fluids for the job. Standard ATF fluid, an additive, and an OEM auto transmission filter from Saturn. DO NOT use a standard auto filter. If you are doing this yourself, just ask for the part # from the pic below

Put the car up on ramps.

Un-tighten the transmission drain plug. 15mm socket.

Let the fluid drain in a pan.

Check the fluid colour as it drains.

Make sure you let it dribble to the end.

Clean up the drips.

Check the fluid colour in the pan for problems.

Take off the old filter. A filter wrench will help. Removing the air box will give better access to remove the filter. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE WIRES AND SENSORS GOING TO THE TRANSMISSION! DO NOT DAMAGE THEM! TAKE YOUR TIME!

The old crappy filter.

Apply a thin coat of transmission fluid to the new filter seal. Just like an oil filter.

Make sure you watch the transmission sensors and sensor wires when you put the new filter on.

Pour in your additive of choice through the dip stick shaft. Then pour in the ATF. You will definitely need a funnel of some sort.

Take the car off the ramps and chalk the back tires with the ramps.

Put the car in reverse with the parking break on. Let the car sit in reverse for 30 minutes - I just used my stove timer to keep track of the minutes. While waiting, this is a good time to clean up the mess, and to check the tire pressure, clean the wind shield, etc. etc. DO NOT LEAVE THE CAR UNATTENDED WHILE IN REVERSE! Stick around for any problems.

After the 30 minutes, take it out for a spin around the neighborhood. Try regular driving, …backing up, …3-point turns. Anything that will mimic regular driving.

I did this procedure, and our reverse slam was cured. Right away while driving down the block, I could tell the transmission shifted faster and smoother; in the drive gears as well. If it comes back, I will do the procedure again.

Thought I would share this with the masses. Hope this helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinchristie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Wolfman's reverse slam fix with PICTURES!

I don't own an automatic transmission Saturn but I want to acknowledge to you that your Pictures and descriptions are great and will be very helpful to everyone else!

Great JOB!

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Great pics!!! Thank you!!

Looks like the Lucas stuff worked..

The wagon is cool, too....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
purepwrSL2
purepwrSL2 is on a distinguished road

nice pics with details that will help the other newbies saturn car owners. Now you can give your wagon a nice bath to washing the road salts off the car,, underneath washing also too prevents further rusting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to purepwrSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help purepwrSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
purepwrSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Nice! Like the ramps to keep it in place in reverse. Worked well for me also. It is a good idea to listen for the radiator fan coming on. Mine worked well during the reverse slam, but last time I changed my transmission fluid the fan was dead and I overheated the car when idling...

What kind of camera did you use? Those pictures are so clear! It is posts like this that makes this forum invaluable. It has been 50,000 miles since doing the reverse slam procedure and my transmission works like a new one. Thanks.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

I have had 5 speed saturns only so reverse slam is not something I'm familiar with, but your pictoral and instructions makes the process seem dead easy. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

What do we do to have this added to the "how to" library?

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
justinchristie
justinchristie is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
1999 SL1
Happy Re: Wolfman's reverse slam fix with PICTURES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
What kind of camera did you use? Those pictures are so clear!
I use an Olympus C5050, it is a 5 megapixel camera, and I bought it back in 2003 off eBay. It is a great little camera, it is semi-pro rated because it is a point and shoot style, but you can add on a bunch of lenses (which I do). I bring the images into photoshop, and I ave an auto action that sizes them, and sharpens them - which is why they jump out on the page

Quote:
Originally Posted by purepwrSL2 View Post
nice pics with details that will help the other newbies saturn car owners. Now you can give your wagon a nice bath to washing the road salts off the car,, underneath washing also too prevents further rusting.
Thanks. Tell me about it. They use too much salt up here in Canada. I'd rather they put down sand instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Thanks for suggesting, I guess one of the admins has to do this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinchristie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
PM Charlie and suggest it. That's how it works.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #10
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

This is great info! The pictures are very helpful.
This thread really should be in the How-To section.

1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StarLady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StarLady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
MR2
MR2 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

Very good pics coupled with Wolfman's info.
I just did this to my car. It does seem to shift better.
However, I'm getting a problem when I put the car into reverse. The car still wants to go forward. The Check Engine Light is on when it happens. If I turn the car off, then turn it back on, the light goes away and then the car will go into reverse. Any ideas what this may be? Is there a solenoid that needs to be replaced? I plan on getting the code scanned asap.

1992 Saturn SC atx

1987 Toyota MR2 mtx

Former Cars

1988 & 89 T-Bird
1999 Grand Am
1997 Cavalier
2001 Mustang GT
1980 Datsun 200sx
1985 Delta 88 Coupe
1992 Integra
1996 Intrepid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MR2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MR2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Need to get the code to tell for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
MR2
MR2 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Need to get the code to tell for sure.
That is the first thing on my priority list. Worst case scenario I do have a spare complete trans in case I need one, but that code should point me into the right direction. Heck, I've already replaced the engine in the car, rewired a hackjob speaker installation by the previous owner, and threw my old alpine cd player in the car. Last weekend I just redid the valve cover gasket, and several weeks ago I replaced a corroded brake line. The car has come a long way since I first traded my Dodge for it. If I can nip this final problem in the but, crossing my fingers, but I should be good for a while. The only other part needing replacement is the power steering pump. Headlight motors don't work but it's something I've placed on the backburner for now.

1992 Saturn SC atx

1987 Toyota MR2 mtx

Former Cars

1988 & 89 T-Bird
1999 Grand Am
1997 Cavalier
2001 Mustang GT
1980 Datsun 200sx
1985 Delta 88 Coupe
1992 Integra
1996 Intrepid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MR2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MR2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

you probably have a oil filled connection on the top of the transmission or the range switch is out of whack and that is all that is wrong but it helps to have the code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

I thought reverse slam happens going into reverse. Can someone confirm this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I thought reverse slam happens going into reverse. Can someone confirm this?
When you physically go to put the gearshift of the car INTO Reverse, the car will make a slight "Clunk" and then SLAM into Reverse. That is the Reverse Slam. It's a "delayed reaction" kind of event..that's the best way to describe it, if you haven't experienced it before. Basically it's the equivalent sensation of the feeling of the back end of your car getting run into in a rear-end collision.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

Thanks for reply! Mine makes a clunk going OUT of reverse. Going IN is no problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
The1BigJones
The1BigJones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I have a '99 SL1 with 213K miles (still getting 35 mpgs! ). I have this same problem and rough shifting in general. I've had the car for +/- 60K and have never changed the trans fluid based on the warnings of a friend with more auto mech experience than I. He has warned me that changing/flushing the fluid on high mileage cars can often be detrimental. He has said that sometimes its all the crap in the fluid that permits the gears to gain traction and that if you flush it, you'll experience slippage. Any thoughts?

Mine: 1999 SL1 SOHC 210K mi

Wife's: 2004 Nissan Quest 3.5 SL 56K

Driveway's: 1998 3.1 Lumina 186K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The1BigJones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The1BigJones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The1BigJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #19
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1BigJones View Post
I have a '99 SL1 with 213K miles (still getting 35 mpgs! ). I have this same problem and rough shifting in general. I've had the car for +/- 60K and have never changed the trans fluid based on the warnings of a friend with more auto mech experience than I. He has warned me that changing/flushing the fluid on high mileage cars can often be detrimental. He has said that sometimes its all the crap in the fluid that permits the gears to gain traction and that if you flush it, you'll experience slippage. Any thoughts?
There is some truth to that idea....although the reverse slam on an auto trans in a Saturn is moreso because of a design flaw (in my opinion) on how the trans works through the gears.

From my own experience; auto trans can be very picky in a Saturn. On my 94 SC1 I thought I was going to have to put a new transmission into the car in 2007 (it still has the original with 340K miles on it)...the trans started slipping in the gears; mainly for the fact that I had missed a trans fluid change, literally by about 1000 miles. Changed the fluid; and everything was good.

There's a difference between a fluid "change" and "flush".

Change= Draining old fluid and adding new fluid and filter
Flush= Draining old fluid, and adding a cleaner, running the car, draining fluid out, then adding new fluid and filter.

Flush will definately hurt the car after a number of miles, as "Good Deposits" can build up just as much as "Bad Deposits"....

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #20
gaffer511
gaffer511 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
1994 SL1

I got some problems going on with my daughters 99 SL1. It was started doing the reverse slam recently and it seemed to be taking longer to go into reverse at all. It was getting worse, and my daughter was afraid of being not able to back up the car at all. I should have tried the " Cure " but decided to swap out the valve body for one that was supposed to have been upgraded with sonnex kit and tested. A tech who works at a reman shop did the work on the upgraded one. I never changed one of these before, and i messed up and did not hook on the arm for the manual reverse slider. ya i put in all together without the arm hooked up. that was real smart. i was in a big hurry, and forgot to re-hook the arm. so i had it all back together and it was stuck in drive no matter what gear selected. i then remembered the arm. it was no fun to take it all back apart. i removed the valve body and the arm seemed to be stuck downward against the side of a gear. i moved the shifter and it freed up. i hooked on the arm and made sure it was going through all the gears smoothly before putting the pan back on. i was very disappointed after all that work it was all messed up. i had park and goes into gear slots smooth but no reverse at all, no slam no nothing. it was going into drive at first then no drive either. it makes noises when put into reverse or drive those noises i have heard before on these type trans. maybe its the solenoids doing that sound? it will go into gear when placed in the D3 spot, and the D2 spot only. so my old valve body was working better than this one. what the heck happened? did i mess something up when i started it up and tried the gears when the rod was not hooked up? did that mess up this re-done valve body? i just got done doing that job to times, and i am really tired and bummed out I just need some good advice on whether that so called re-done valve body was ever any good, or did i mess it up? i mentioned that the linkage arm that was not hooked up was jammed. could it have got bent when it jammed? it seems to be in the right gears and the backup lights come on when it's in reverse. it goes right into park and all selections feel correct. please help. thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaffer511's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaffer511 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gaffer511 is offline   Reply With Quote