SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
POLLOC2001
POLLOC2001 is on a distinguished road

Default 07 Outlook Shifting

I Have A 07 Outlook With Everything Except Awd. This Is My First Saturn Coming From All Imports . I Can Not Stand The Constant Shifting From The 6 Speed Trans. On Cruioson The Freeway Set At 68 Going On Level Ground It Shifts At The Loss Of 1-2 Mph . Does Any Body Else Have This Problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to POLLOC2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help POLLOC2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
POLLOC2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Outlook Shifting

there is a tsb for it. dealer will reprogram transmission for better shifting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
KellyCat54
KellyCat54 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

My wife didn't like the way the 6-speed transmission shifted, even after the flash. She asked the dealer whether there was anything else that might help, and was told to try temporarily getting rid of the 6th gear.

Procedure: shift into L and use the plus-minus toggle on the gearshift to set the highest gear. I set it at "5" and since then she's been satisfied driving around town.

When we go for a highway drive, I'll switch the top gear back to "6".

To love what you do and feel that it matters: what could be more fun?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KellyCat54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KellyCat54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KellyCat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
derwin
derwin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Not sure I understand your answer. Is this a one time fix, ie drive using L1-5. Or does this some how program the transmission to this as a max gear?
Are you sitting there idle and move to gear 5?
I see lots of references to the transmission learning your driving habits...is this really the case? is it documented somewhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to derwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help derwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
derwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
KellyCat54
KellyCat54 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

If I understand your question, I'd say the change is a kind of workaround for the transmission annoyances that some have reported. It's as easy as stopping at a stop sign, shifting to L, and using the +/- toggle to determine the highest gear. It shows on the display screen at the right end of the list of the gears, i.e. P R N D L x . (As an aside, I would think it would start at the maximum of 6, but the default is 1.) After it's set, the transmission keeps the settings even after shifting back to Drive.

Didn't receive anything in writing about the transmission learning a driver's habits. Just heard it from the dealer and I'm pretty sure I saw posts here about the same subject. Hope this helps...

To love what you do and feel that it matters: what could be more fun?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KellyCat54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KellyCat54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KellyCat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCat54 View Post
If I understand your question, I'd say the change is a kind of workaround for the transmission annoyances that some have reported. It's as easy as stopping at a stop sign, shifting to L, and using the +/- toggle to determine the highest gear. It shows on the display screen at the right end of the list of the gears, i.e. P R N D L x . (As an aside, I would think it would start at the maximum of 6, but the default is 1.) After it's set, the transmission keeps the settings even after shifting back to Drive.

Didn't receive anything in writing about the transmission learning a driver's habits. Just heard it from the dealer and I'm pretty sure I saw posts here about the same subject. Hope this helps...
It does not train the transmission to use 5 as the top gear. If you put it back in Drive, you will use all 6 gears.

Think of "L" these two ways: 1) Use it as manual transmission were you can change between all 6 gears. It starts in 1 because it is the lowest gear, then use your tach or feel to shift up to the next then shift down to slow down or to down shift for an increase in power. If you are in 4th gear and floor it, the transmission will down shift on it's own but never go above 4th gear if that is where you have it set. 2) Put it in low, toggle to "4" and leave it alone. I will do this for city driving - the trans only uses the lower 4 gears.

The transmission learns how you accelerate - easy or hard - and adjusts to your driving habits, but not what gears you use based on using "L".

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

If you have the tranny flash the Outlook will learn your driving habits and stop looking for gears all the time, atleast thats what mine did. Before the flash it shift up and down all the time and it really did it on the freeway w/ the cruise on but after the flash and a couple of weeks of my driving it adapted to my driving and operates normal now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djhhjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote