SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
NickS2319
NickS2319 is on a distinguished road

Default Key stuck past START, turned without ignition switch connected

Hey everyone, thanks for checking my stupid problem...

After troubleshooting a no-start situation, i had gone as far as unbolting and cleaning the ignition switch. Fast forward, the ignition switch was in place, and we went to turn the key to start the car and the key turned PAST the START spot and pushed the ignition switch backwards, and it is now locked in that situation. Ive tried all the basics, wiggling it, turning the wheel, whole deal. Now i'm just looking for long shot fixes. Also, the lock cylinder WILL NOT come out, since the key is in such an odd position.

Basically, the key is stuck past START, and I cannot get it to turn any direction. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickS2319's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickS2319 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickS2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2
Default Re: Key stuck past START, turned without ignition switch connected

Long shots;
Well ,as you must be aware,there is a tab that must be pressed to release the lock cylinder (at the acc. position )only.
If you can estimate just where this tab is located (now) in relation to the position it is stuck at, maybe you could drill a small hole there to release it.
Once the assembly is installed correctly,it would never return there(no problem) with the extra hole ,maybe!

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

If it's an automatic transmission, make sure it's in Park, and especially that the cable from the shifter is connected to the ignition cylinder, since you had it out. It may not be completely put back together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
dtuuri
dtuuri is on a distinguished road

1991 SC

This sounds similar to a problem I recently had. See if this 'solution' is helpful. Click Here.

dtuuri

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dtuuri's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dtuuri reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dtuuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

What year? Is the lock at a 90 degree angle to the steering column or 45 degrees? Did you remove the electrical switch again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
kandjj
kandjj is on a distinguished road

I had this problem too. My key could be removed and inserted OK, but it only made 1/8 of a turn (whereas normal key movement is almost 1/3). I ended up removing the housing (from the steering column) and taking it to a locksmith. They said they couldn't do anything.

So I played with it some more and discovered that the little "push" tab can actually be pulled out (with needlenose). It will bend a thin metal strip backwards, but it should bend back into position OK later. With the tab out, the cylinder will slide out from the housing.

Be careful: the problem is that a guide pin (I don't know proper terms) was somehow outside of its normal position. And since it is spring-loaded the pin shot out when I removed the cylinder from the housing. I was luck it didn't go too far (kitchen sink, vent, etc). Lesson learned: keep your hand over the cylinder as you remove it.

I still don't know the "root problem". After fixing the placement of the guide pin, I couldn't get the problem to reproduce. Probably something I did when removing the ignition switch.

Let me know if you are still having problems; I can post pictures if it would help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kandjj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kandjj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kandjj is offline   Reply With Quote