SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
xenju
xenju is on a distinguished road

Question Flaw in Outlook XE

My wife and I recently purchased a Saturn Outlook XE. Only thing is, after driving a couple of days, we were bothered that whenever we put it into Park, all of the door locks popped open. We consider it safety critical that all locks stay locked until one of us opens them. So, no problem, that must be settable, right? Well, apparently not.

Now, I knew that when we went with the XE we were forgoing some of the bells and whistles, but that so basic a safety adjustment is impossible on the XE would never have occurred to us. At the XR Trim level, this feature is settable via the DIC button array, but on the XE I am told that not even a service technician can make the adjustment. So, basically, I either learn to live with my kids jumping out of the vehicle, or carjackers jumping in, or forking over a few thousand dollars to overhaul the electronics or upgrade to the XR Trim level.

In either case, Saturn needs to make it plain that such a safety flaw exists on the XE trim level before anyone buys one. I'm sorry we bought the thing at this point. And we both liked the Outlook so much, that is a shame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xenju's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xenju reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xenju is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Safety Flaw in Outlook XE

That is disappointing. But is it really so disappointing that you wish you hadn't bought the car now? I know it would be ideal for you not to have it do that, but there are child locks for your kids if you are concerned about them jumping out. And carjacking really shouldn't be that big of a concern, I would think.

I would just hate for such judgment to be passed on such a great car for a simple item. Yes it is unfortunate (and silly) that it isn't adjustable for the XE, but the rest of the car works fine for you, I hope?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
xenju

The rest of the Outlook is fine, although I do notice that the transmission isn't smooth in the lower gears. I figured that it might just be how I drive coming from a Ford Expedition to the Outlook, and that I would adjust to the Saturn. Now, after a couple of weeks, though, I still notice hesitations in up and downshifts in low gears. If it keeps up I might take it in for service. The manufacture date on the door is 10/07, so I should not have any of the historical transmission problems prior to 08/07.

But the lock business is irritating. If it had been made clear that I was screwed in the XE, I would have bought an XR or the Buick. The XE had everything we wanted, though. Guess we were stupid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xenju reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

My God. Where do they come from? Safety issue? Yeah, sure, that's what it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
xenju

Do the locks on your vehicle pop open every time you shift into Park? At night in south Charlotte? Goddam right it's a safety issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
BagaJellyDonuts
BagaJellyDonuts is on a distinguished road

Have you made an effort to contact Saturn customer care via the 800 number in your owners manual?

I must say that I've heard the other side of this myself. Some people object to the locks "locking" when they put the vehicle into gear. Along with that, aren't there trip levers inside the rear doors that dis-engage the interior door hadles if you do not want the people inside to be able to get out, in other words, kids can't open the doors from inside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BagaJellyDonuts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BagaJellyDonuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BagaJellyDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
xenju

I have contacted Customer Service via email. I will contact them by phone tomorrow.

Funny, but I find online that there are Acadia buyers who are also irritated by this safety problem. And I find that there was a Tech Service Bulletin released in 2007 to address this issue. TSB 07-08-64-014 JUN 07 Body Controls - Doors Unlock When Shifting Into PARK. Apparently enough XE buyers complained that there was a recall. Now why are the service people at my dealership not finding this one? The TSB is for the Outlook btw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
scottginfla
scottginfla is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenju View Post
I have contacted Customer Service via email. I will contact them by phone tomorrow.

Funny, but I find online that there are Acadia buyers who are also irritated by this safety problem. And I find that there was a Tech Service Bulletin released in 2007 to address this issue. TSB 07-08-64-014 JUN 07 Body Controls - Doors Unlock When Shifting Into PARK. Apparently enough XE buyers complained that there was a recall. Now why are the service people at my dealership not finding this one? The TSB is for the Outlook btw.

if there is already a recall addressing this issue, and your dealer cannot find it even when you provide the tsb #, then find another dealer who can

i do think you have a valid complaint and i hope you can get it resolved.

2008 outlook xr, silver pearl and black leather, build date 08/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottginfla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottginfla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
SaturnVUE04
SaturnVUE04 is on a distinguished road

Wow..
I'm the complete opposite. For my VUE, the doors automatically lock when i reach 5mph or whatever, but they don't unlock until I take the key out (5-speed). It's more annoying since by the time I get to a parking spot, people are ready to get out, and then they're trying to figure out how to unlock the doors so I've tried to make it a habit to hit the unlock button when I arrive somewhere.
-Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVUE04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVUE04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVUE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
BKW
BKW is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Safety flaw? Yeah...right.

Check out other vehicles...mini-vans, SUV's, pickups from various manufacturers...many DO NOT offer this feature...and how many ppl that own them remember to lock the doors?

My wife works in a crummy part of town, her $38K Murano doesn't have "rolling" door locks, and she sometimes forgets to lock the doors.

Her previous Toyota Sienna didn't offer them either, nor did my $31K ex-2006 Titan CC I traded in.

Rolling door locks have been available in the US since the mid 1960's, and have worked about the same way since.

Engage when shifting from Park at roughly 7 MPH, disengage when shifting back to Park.

What's better...having the rolling door locks, or not?

If you were unaware how these locks worked, and are unhappy about it...it's your fault....research first, buy second.

Last edited by BKW; 02-12-2008 at 10:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BKW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BKW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I agree that it is a safety issue. I would prefer to have NO automatic lock/unlock if I wasn't able to program them the way -I- wanted them to work. Heck, maybe that's an option - completely disable the automatic programming. My wife was all over me to reprogram from the default (unlock when moved to 'Park') during the first couple of days we had it.

Cut the guy some slack - I find it pretty hard to believe many people are going to think to check on the programmability of the locks, especially if they happened to see that they're programmable on the XR. Most people would think something like this was across the model range, not only a specific trim level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Real nice - the guy comes here to vent and/or look for help, and you accuse him of cruising for drugs and hookers. Good way to welcome new members.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
Moose1199
Moose1199 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

I have an XE and I have no problems with the way the locks work. Maybe its because I don't have to worry about the whole "car-jacker" problem. If you were in such a bad area, why would you shift your car into park anyways, if you did, wouldn't you be getting out of the car? If you're stopped at a light, your doors will still be locked. I use the child safety switch as well, don't have to worry about the kids jumping out.
Seems like an odd "flaw" to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moose1199's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moose1199 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moose1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

If you see you are about to be carjacked, DO NOT shift your car into park. Keep your car in drive and laugh out loud and point at the carjackers -even if they're pointing guns at you. You see, as long as you don't put your car in park, you car is bullet proof. Not even Superman could pry you out of there with the car in drive.

Carjack statistics are probably similar in your area, but most carjacks occur as a consequence of vice activity. Few are out of the blue. So, when you are buying drugs or picking up hookers, just leave the car in drive. Or just leave the family at home until you get your drugs and/or hookers. I would probably avoid those areas (as well as your drug and hooker runs all together) as much as possible, especially with the family. And it's best not to tempt fate by putting the car in park at every corner or wherever you see people gathered.

I also suppose that you could also do a tactical exit from the vehicle and bust a cap in anyone that is within twenty feet of the car. Although I imagine that by the fifth time you bust caps in people, they'll probably ask you to calm down a bit. May even ask you to go to court to explain your behavior. Alternatively, you could phone ahead a 911 call for a shooting to where you will be arriving and putting the car in park. If well timed, the police will arrive just ahead of you and you'll have a clear path -unless you are there to buy drugs or hookers, in which case it may not be a perfect plan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

You definitely need to engage the child safety locks on the doors. As far as the door locks are concerned, on my XR the doors do not unlock until I remove the key from the ignition. So, if I happen to be in a questionable area I look around before even turning the motor off much less removing the key. Is the door locking sequence different in the XE, ie doors unlocking when shifted into park or when the key is removed??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

It is not a safety flaw, lots of vehicles are like that, or don't have automatic locking at all. My dad's first U-body GM minivan ('95 Trans Sport) automatically locked the doors when you put the vehicle in gear. That was the first time we'd had that, so it was kinda cool, but we found it a poin that you had to unlock it yourself after that. His next one ('97 Trans Sport) had it where it would unlock automatically when you put it in park. We liked that much better. It's not a flaw, it's likely in response to customers asking for it and it's been like that for over 10 years.

It's too bad that you don't like it, but are you past your 30 day free exchange period? And your kids should know better than to go rushing out the door as soon as they are unlocked. They'd never survive in a pre-power door lock world!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Are you within the 30 day trade time? Is that even offered on the XE? If you are, return it and get an XR.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
NJSATXR
NJSATXR is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Just for a comparison, we bought a 2008 Vue XR in early Jan 08.

It mentions in the owners manual that this "put into park and the doors unlock" is programmable.

However, turns out this is one of the many errors in the owners manual.
In reality, it is not programmable.

Have to admit we found it a bit annoying as well !!!

My only suggestion is putting the car into NEUTRAL if you don't want the doors to unlock .... then push it to PARK when you're ready to open the locks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJSATXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJSATXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJSATXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
HockeyMom
HockeyMom is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook33 View Post
You definitely need to engage the child safety locks on the doors. As far as the door locks are concerned, on my XR the doors do not unlock until I remove the key from the ignition. So, if I happen to be in a questionable area I look around before even turning the motor off much less removing the key. Is the door locking sequence different in the XE, ie doors unlocking when shifted into park or when the key is removed??
In the XR, you can program the unlock option you want using the DIC. It can be set to unlock: when you put the vehicle in park, when you pull out the key, never, just the driver's door, all doors etc. His complaint is that it is not programmable on the XE since there is no DIC and it is defaulted to when you put the vehicle in park.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HockeyMom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HockeyMom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HockeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

I found it annoying as well - but just until I got used to it. I certainly don't see it as a "safety flaw", just a feature. If this "safety flaw" bothers you enough to no longer want your Outlook (certainly sounds like it does - which is a shame) exchange it or sell it. Selling it, you'll lose out. But, in all honesty, you don't have anyone to blame but yourself. The excuse that the XR is programmable so the XE should be as well, doesn't really cut it. It's a different trim level, therefore, different features ("flaws") and options.

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote