SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Default 3.6L Direct Injection coming?

Rumour has it the '09 Outlook will get the 3.6L direct injection engine, the same engine that the upcoming Chevy Traverse is supposed to get. The benefits from what I hear are a bit more power and 1 to 3 mpg in fuel savings. Anyone know if this will carry over to the Vue XR and RL?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
meatshieldd
meatshieldd is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 3.6L Direct Injection coming?

u mean the 304 hp 3.6? the one they should of put in the 2008 redline vue and not the same engine every other vue xr has ?? /sarcasm off

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meatshieldd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meatshieldd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meatshieldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
montrealvue
Advanced Member

...no, the same engine the Chevy Traverse will get rated at 286 HP. I beleive it is a detuned version of the one you are talking about. Come to think of it, you're right. The 304 hp. mill would make a great add on to the Vue Red Line

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I would settle for 3.0L ~ 3.2L V6 with direct injection and 250 HP if I could get 3 or 4 more mpg.

3.2L should not be a big deal as the Opel Antara has that as its top engine in 2008 ... maybe Opel will get direct injection in 2009?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
montrealvue
Advanced Member

I would think it would make more sense to just take the new engine from the '09 Outlook and drop it in the Vue. I am hoping GM does this, better fuel economy, more power....no import costs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue View Post
I would think it would make more sense to just take the new engine from the '09 Outlook and drop it in the Vue. I am hoping GM does this, better fuel economy, more power....no import costs
The 3.2L engine doesn't need to be manufactured in Europe / Korea ... the benefit in that it already exists means that the; design, tooling, process, and development are already completed ... easy to adapt existing line in North America.

The 3.6L from 5000 pound 8-passemger Traverse is probably overkill in the Vue except for RL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
montrealvue
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
The 3.2L engine doesn't need to be manufactured in Europe / Korea ... the benefit in that it already exists means that the; design, tooling, process, and development are already completed ... easy to adapt existing line in North America.

The 3.6L from 5000 pound 8-passemger Traverse is probably overkill in the Vue except for RL.
The '08 XR already has a 3.6L, how much heavier can it be? Also, we are talking 286 hp, only about 30 up from that it has now. The '08 is a heavy little bugger, I would think it could absorb that much power nicely. From what I have seen (European reviews etc) the 3.2L is not a neck snapper nor any better on gas than 3.6L already being used here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

Don't forget that the '09 Vue will get the 3.6L DI in the form of the Vue GL 2-mode. It'll be tuned for fuel economy of course but it'll be in there. I would imagine there's little to no cost in putting the 3.6L DI tuned for performance (the engine gets 300+ hp in the Cadillac implementations) in the '09 Vue XR or RL but GM probably feels the Vue doesn't need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

DI is more expensive, as it requires a high pressure fuel system.

The performance difference would not be huge. As others have noted, the problem isn't the engine, it's the mass.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Bunshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
DI is more expensive, as it requires a high pressure fuel system.

The performance difference would not be huge. As others have noted, the problem isn't the engine, it's the mass.
Definitely. But placing a 300+ hp engine in the RL trim would give Saturn some much needing bragging rights and possibly get more people into the showrooms which is what they need.

In my previous post I meant it would cost GM little to nothing to put the DI version in the RL trim since the work is already done. It would, however, cost us more as the consumer. I really don't see GM doing this as it wouldn't give them a great return and would push the price well into Outlook territory. The RL already skates along the base price of the Outlook when fully loaded.

I know I don't represent a good sample size but most of the '08 Vue's I've seen on the road have been XE's. Only 2 or 3 have been XR's and no RL's on the road at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #11
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Need to remember that the CTS engine is for RWD apps. You can't just turn the engine 90 degrees and call it a day. I don't know why, but much additional engineering needs to be done.

I suspect they'd also want to use a lower compression ratio than in the CTS, so regular gas could be recommended and not just acceptable. This might account for the lower power output in the Lambdas.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Bunshaw

Don't forget that the 3.6L DI will be in the '09 Vue GL 2-mode. It'll only be tweaked for better fuel economy instead of performance. I'm sure there would need to be work done but I would imagine very little to put the same engine in the RL and tweak it for (low-end) performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!