SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Reverse Slam - Input Shaft Nut Replacement How-To Version 2

Since I can't post in the how-to section for some reason, and I can't reply to my old thread, I'm going to start a new one. I have some new pictures and a new and improved way to fix the reverse slap all by yourself without any outside help!

I will not go in detail about valve body replacement because that's been covered a number of times. I do want to mention, in most cases the valve body has to be replaced or rebuilt.

Do the prep work and remove any splash guards if you haven't done so, take off the wheel and get your tools ready. This procedure should take about 2-3 hours, might be a bit longer if this is your first time doing it. It's not required that you drain the tranny fluid, but you might as well do that and put some fresh fluid in there while you're at it. Make sure you have the right socket and the end cover gasket (refer to the other thread for specifics)

First things first, locate the big cradle bold to your right, take it out and jam something in between the cradle and the frame. I chose a box cutter knife, something bigger would work better. This will give you enough clearance to take the end cover off without grinding the frame:

Then, go ahead and disconnect the wheel hub and brake caliper assembly from the strut. This will make things easier when taking off the end cover and putting it back in, you will have all the room that you want and you will not bend the end cover tubes:

/\ The picture shows the thing is still connected, but anyway, you get the idea

Get a good look at what you're dealing with:

Take out the bolts holding the end cover in place:

Using a screwdriver, pry the end cover open. Make sure you have something underneath it since some of the fluid will escape:

Slide the end cover towards you. Note that in this picture, I didn't disconnect the wheel hub assembly from the strut tower. YOU HAVE to disconnect them so you can pull both things aside and have enough clearance to take the end cover off. You can get away without disconnecting it, but you will end up with bent tubes. Besides, come on, it's only two bolts and you will save yourself a ton of time:

See? No matter how you twist it, it won't come off. Get that wheel hub disconnected! You won't need to do an alignment or antyhing after you put it back together:

Ahh, there they are! The two NUTS. Your worst enemy is the input shaft nut, which is recessed into the clutch pack to the left. Go ahead and wiggle the clutch pack, it probably has a good amount of play:

And you probably have grooves like this on your end cover. This is the second time I do this procedure, and both times there were groves on the cover on both cars:

/\ notice I bent a tube. That's because I didn't disconnect the wheel hub from the strut tower. If I bent it while taking it off, imagine how incredibly hard it would be to put back in!

Ok, stick your socket inside the recessed opening. You might need to help yourself with a hammer, but don't hammer too hard, you'll need to take the socket out when you're done. This will be a tight squeeze:

Now that the socket is in, secure the clutch pack by jamming a screwdriver into one of the holes. Most people use some sort of a chain or other complicated device. Keep it simple, a screwdriver works well enough. This will stop the clutch pack from rotating, so you can torque the nut properly:

As you can see, I'm re-using the same input shaft nut. If you want to replace yours, you will need a way to stop the clutch pack from rotating in the other direction. You're on your own here.

Torque the nut to 111 lbs, and put everything back together. Installation is the reverse of the procedure. Don't force anything in. Just give it a little push here and there and everything will go back in it's place.

Make sure to not force the tubes back in, you risk damaging some sort of a seal inside the transmission and you will loose 4th gear. Not good at all for driving on the freeway. You will not be easily able to replace that seal.

That's it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Re: Reverse Slam - Input Shaft Nut Replacement How-To Version 2

One more thing: scrape the old gasket material off very well. If you don't, fluid WILL leak out as it warms up. This will most likely be spilled on your wheel and you do several 360's on the freeway before you lose all your gears (true story )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Old Crow
Old Crow has a spectacular aura aboutOld Crow has a spectacular aura about

2001 SW2

Thanks for the new pix (better than 1,000 words ea.) and hints Plastic Torpedo. Just a few more questions.

The two bolts to disconnect the wheel hub and brake caliper assembly from the strut are those at the bottom right of the 7th photo correct? Are they so tight as to need a breaker bar? How do you guarantee getting the wheel back on and in alignment?

How long have you been driving with a re-torqued input nut rather than replacing it? Everyone seems to swear they must be replaced.

I found out the torque spec for the end cover bolts is 21 ft-lbs. I will post back my experience if I find anything unique.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old Crow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old Crow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I believe those bolts torque to 126 ftlbs. So yeah, you might need a breaker bar. However I probably wouldn't take those bolts loose. I'd take the caliper, the ball joint and tie rod end loose. Then I'd remove the three nuts holding the strut to the car and remove strut and knuckle as an assembly. That way you won't mess up your alignment.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

I just took out the strut completely. if they are stock struts, alignment is not hard to get when your done if you can picture the suspension when the tire is on the ground.

and i also heard a new nut should be put on as it has locktight on it.

nice pics!

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I had trouble getting both tubes to line up while re-installing the cover. I must have tried for 30 minutes before I found a little trick. There are 2 bolts in the middle of the cover holding one of the tubes in place. I took out the 2 bolts and installed that tube separately. You have to semi align the tube mounting holes before putting on the cover. The cover then slipped right on with only the single tube. I re-installed the 2 bolts before completely putting the cover into place.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
plastic torpedo

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
Thanks for the new pix (better than 1,000 words ea.) and hints Plastic Torpedo. Just a few more questions.

The two bolts to disconnect the wheel hub and brake caliper assembly from the strut are those at the bottom right of the 7th photo correct? Are they so tight as to need a breaker bar? How do you guarantee getting the wheel back on and in alignment?

How long have you been driving with a re-torqued input nut rather than replacing it? Everyone seems to swear they must be replaced.

I found out the torque spec for the end cover bolts is 21 ft-lbs. I will post back my experience if I find anything unique.
Yes, the bottom right of the 7th photo for the wheel hub and the brake caliper. You cannot possibly mess up your alignment by taking it off. You're not disconnecting it from the steering rack or anything. You just bolt everything back up like it was before and your alignment remains the same.

I've been driving my white saturn (the one in the avatar) for about a year or over a year on the re-torqued nut. I later swapped out to a manual transmission on that car, but the automatic still worked just fine and the nut didn't come loose. Though if you have the extra time and energy, to do it right you'd want to replace the bolt.

Right now, I just got my second saturn, with the reverse slam problem. Replaced the valve body and did the nut and everything works great so far. Didn't replace the nut on it either. But honestly, I think you should replace it. I just didn't because I was lazy.

I don't really know the torque on many of these things, I tighten them by hand. I do a pretty ghetto job at fixing things, honestly. The only thing I tightened to exact specifications was the input shaft nut

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
plastic torpedo

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I believe those bolts torque to 126 ftlbs. So yeah, you might need a breaker bar. However I probably wouldn't take those bolts loose. I'd take the caliper, the ball joint and tie rod end loose. Then I'd remove the three nuts holding the strut to the car and remove strut and knuckle as an assembly. That way you won't mess up your alignment.
That's probably a better way. Honestly though I don't think this will mess up your alignment. I'm not a suspension guru though so I wouldn't know. But from the looks of it, and since I had to do some ghetto alignment jobs on my other saturn, I don't think it'll mess it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
plastic torpedo

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
I had trouble getting both tubes to line up while re-installing the cover. I must have tried for 30 minutes before I found a little trick. There are 2 bolts in the middle of the cover holding one of the tubes in place. I took out the 2 bolts and installed that tube separately. You have to semi align the tube mounting holes before putting on the cover. The cover then slipped right on with only the single tube. I re-installed the 2 bolts before completely putting the cover into place.
Damn I didn't think of that at all! Would have saved me a ton of time since I bent the tubes lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
10Miler
Advanced Member
10Miler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
So would it be a good idea during removal of the side cover to just remove the 2 bolts holding the other tube before removing the cover?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10Miler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

leave it all together. just remember to put plenty of trans fluid on the o-rings during assembly it will make putting the cover back on easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
rollercam351
rollercam351 is on a distinguished road

Hey there ive got a 95 sl2 with 130,xxx miles just did a valve body replacement and re-torqued the input/output shaft nuts. For the first 150 miles or so the car re-learned its shift points and now shifts beautifully but...

Now im getting a strange noise when the brakes are applied at low speeds say < 20. sounds like a kachunk kachunk kachunk but softly like plastic rubbing almost. I pulled the wheel off thinking that it was a brake pad or the caliper mount or maybe even a wheel bearing/cv shaft problem, they are all quite tight and zero play but, when i rotate the disc with my hand back and forth i can re-create the sound from the trans area, it sounds as if the noise is coming from the cv output or possibly from under the pan where the input/output shafts are located, kind of like a bad bearing in the trans or a bit of slop. has anybody experienced anything like this?

any insight would be much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollercam351's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollercam351 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollercam351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
johnct2012
johnct2012 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Ok, I replaced the valve body and the reverse slam is gone and all of the shifting is nice and smooth except from 3rd to 4th. Do you think I should perform the input shaft nut replacement? Where does one acquire the nut and the end cover gasket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnct2012's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnct2012 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnct2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnct2012 View Post
Ok, I replaced the valve body and the reverse slam is gone and all of the shifting is nice and smooth except from 3rd to 4th. Do you think I should perform the input shaft nut replacement? Where does one acquire the nut and the end cover gasket?
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214643

Output Nut SN21001679
Input Nut SN21001680
Gasket SN21001684

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
johnct2012

2000 SL1

I searched for those part numbers on that site and nothing came up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help johnct2012 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnct2012 View Post
I searched for those part numbers on that site and nothing came up.
Try without the "SN" - the ISN is $3.79
Also - any GM dealer should be able to get those parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Transmission gasket and nuts part numbers
21003202 is the valve body cover gasket. This fits 96-02
21001684 is the end cover gasket. This fits 91-02
21001679 is the output shaft nut. This fits 91-02
21001680 is the input shaft nut. this fits 91-02

Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
Your local dealers - http://www.partsvoice.com/

You can order them from any of these people or search local dealer stock with partsvoice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
johnct2012

2000 SL1

Thanks now I feel extremely dumb. I don't know why I didn't try it without the "SN".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

I think that jamming something above the left rear engine cradle might be a bad idea. I tried this, and now transmission fluid seems to be spilling out from between the transmission and engine. Removing or loosening both the driver side front and rear engine cradle bolts might put less strain on the axle seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

This second version was not nearly as entertaining as the first. No frame grinding or badass grooves.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is online now   Reply With Quote