SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Astra Likely to Get Turbocharged Powerplant

A new story entry has been added:

Astra Likely to Get Turbocharged Powerplant

Quote:
Automotive News says that General Motors will begin to offer cars with smaller, turbocharged engines to help combat rising gas prices, fuel economy concerns, and upcoming Government mandates.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Jamis
Jamis is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Astra Likely to Get Turbocharged Powerplant

I wonder how much hp and torque a puffed 1.4 liter engine can make? The current NA 1.4l Twinport Ecotec makes 90 hp and 92 lb ft of torque. A 60% hp improvement would be needed to get it to 160 hp. Mazda does that for the MazdaSpeed3 motor (actually 61%) and a 9.5:1 compression ration. The Opel 1.4 is at 10.5, so I guess you can do it with the right bottom end. The question is: Is 160 hp enough? or, Is GM shooting for efficiency, and not bigger hp, with the little turbo motors?

What's in your garage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jamis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jamis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I finally seeing SATURN getting it right. I have heard that alot of ppl are very dissappointed with the new Astra. Hopefully the turbocharge will be as powerful as the others like the Mazda3 Speedster or turbo-charged mini cooper or something.

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

They're just copying VW's 1.4 with a turbo and supercharger. It develops between 122-170HP and 200-240NM, so maybe somewhere around there (VW engine compression ratio 10:1)

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Roundthirteen
Roundthirteen is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

So the turbo will get better gas mileage but you are going to need to run 91+. So you use less gas but it is more expensive per gallon. Where exactly is the benefit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Roundthirteen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Roundthirteen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Roundthirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundthirteen View Post
So the turbo will get better gas mileage but you are going to need to run 91+. So you use less gas but it is more expensive per gallon. Where exactly is the benefit?

Well, it costs Saturn/GM $450 for the turbo or SC and they charge us $1200+. Also if the EPA rated gas mileage goes up many folks will see that and not consider the fuel type, so those are two benefits for GM.

Still, I like this idea and it is another reason I am not even looking at the Astra for now. With my Ion I would have loved a Red Line or a 2.4 and should have waited for those options, but at the same time I would have missed out on many of the good incentives at the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Why don't they put a turbo diesel in the Astra instead of a turbo gasoline engine? Would make more sense to me. Because then you wouldn't have any more horsepower, but it would make more torque which is what throws you back in your seat anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

This is all about meeting stricter CAFE requirements being considered and possibly approved by the government. I would be reluctant to put a four cylinder under two liters in displacement in the engine bay of a midsized sedan unless they could figure out how to reduce curb weight without sacrificing safety or structural integrity.

For an Astra or Aveo sized vehicle, I think a 1.4L Ecotec with turbo and direct injection is a good idea, since that's what will help them offset the GMT900s that are not two-mode hybrids. Toyota and Nissan get a free pass because the Prius offsets the Sequoia/Tundra while the Versa balances out the Armada/Titan. The Aveo's fuel economy numbers do not remedy the Tahoe/Silverado as dramatically and the 1.4T could help.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

tease!
I thought we were going to get the 2.0i 16v turbo (240PS) in our ASTRA

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Devil Re: Astra Likely to Get Turbocharged Powerplant

No real suprises here except for the useage and to a smaller degree, the purpose. Small turbo four cylinder 1.4 and 1.6 litre, gasoline engines are alleged to be more fuel effecient than larger normally aspirated fours and at the same time, offering marginally bettet performance.

It was my understanding from the get go that there would be a 2 Litre, turbo Red Line Astra to address the rice rocket challange. On an entirely different level there was to be a Corsa Red Line with either a 1.4 or 1.6 Turbo motor.

All of these TURBO GOODIES would have proper Six speed gearboxes, Manual and Automatic. Next only the Saturn Aura remains to be fitted with Cadillac's 3.6 litre, direct injection muscle motor sporting somewhat north of 300 Horsepower and, look out world, here comes Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 AM   #11
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

An AutoBlog posting says it'll be 140hp.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/28/g...ket-next-year/

SixFlagsForum.com
VeggieBoards.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Jamis
Jamis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
An AutoBlog posting says it'll be 140hp.[/url]
And paired with a 6 speed automatic would be a nice thing. GM is phasing out the 4 speed automatics (I have relations in the PowerTrain Division), so the 6 speed should be a reality.

What's in your garage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jamis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jamis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
lbhskier37
lbhskier37 is on a distinguished road

Would consider the Astra if that was a turbo diesel. But since Bob Lutz is an idiot we will never get a fuel efficient Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lbhskier37's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lbhskier37 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lbhskier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
NSAP
NSAP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhskier37 View Post
Would consider the Astra if that was a turbo diesel. But since Bob Lutz is an idiot we will never get a fuel efficient Saturn again.
Ha. We wouldn't have Saturn or GM period if Lutz was not there.

Administrator-- GMInsidenews
Future Saturn Owner??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NSAP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NSAP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NSAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAP View Post
I agree ... Old Bob is a car guy in a world of bean counters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAP View Post

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

I think the idea of GM small cars, including the Astra, receiving a turbocharged 1.4 liter is a great idea. I find it humorous that in a country where people constantly complain about rising fuel costs, we continue to build cars with more and more horsepower that get horrible fuel economy. Why is this? Because we demand it. The trend in our country is to drive the car with the most horsepower. Whether it's a Cadillac CTS V-series, a Corvette ZR1, or even a Honda Accord, the demand is for vehicles with MORE power. Don't get me wrong, I think the cars like the Cadillac CTS V-series and the Corvette ZR1 are going to be one of the world's best cars in their respective class, but we have to decide if this is more important than great fuel economy. We can't have it both ways. If you want these cars, great! I would love to drive the new CTS V-series! If you want these cars but continue to complain about rising fuel costs, then you need to decide what is more important. The people who complain about rising fuel costs, but want cars with more horsepower are the ones who are helping keep these costs up. Supply and demand.

The point to my raving (thanks for reading if you did) Bob Lutz is definitely NOT an idiot. He appears to be a true car enthusiast, as well as a man with good business sense. Bob Lutz is at least thinking globally, which is why GM is more likely to be around in 7-10 years compared to Chrysler or maybe even Ford. He sees the demand for vehicles with more horsepower while at the same time sees the demand for fuel efficient cars. He's getting pressure from both our government and the average consumer. Why not start building cars that get better fuel economy while at the same time have a decent power to weight ratio? For that matter, why not start building cars that have aesthetically pleasing interiors, as well as exteriors, with a good warranty to back those cars? Oh wait, GM IS doing that. Again, Bob Lutz is not an idiot. He is a man who enjoys cars and has a vision to actually keep his company in business for years to come!

Thanks for reading! I am stepping down from my soap box now.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

When was the last time you heard me complain of the cost of fuel ?? When have you ever heard me complain about the cost of fuel. Now in a country of lets say 303,363,751 people how many of those people have you talked to that complained about gas prices. Half, a quarter, maybe an eighth, not evan an eight? If you have talked to so few people how can you say "in a country where people constantly complain about rising fuel costs".

Fact is I don't hear anyone complaining about the cost of gas that I run into. I hear the news talking about it now and then. I hear the news asking people at the pumps about gas prices, and they answer. I've never heard a comsumer anywhere say, damn the cost of this is to low I think they should raise the price. Do you say that, have you said that?

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 02-03-2008 at 02:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #19
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

SaturnSdn,

Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
When was the last time you heard me complain of the cost of fuel ?? When have you ever heard me complain about the cost of fuel. Now in a country of lets say 303,363,751 people how many of those people have you talked to that complained about gas prices. Half, a quarter, maybe an eighth, not evan an eight? If you have talked to so few people how can you say "in a country where people constantly complain about rising fuel costs".

Fact is I don't hear anyone complaining about the cost of gas that I run into. I hear the news talking about it now and then. I hear the news asking people at the pumps about gas prices, and they answer. I've never heard a comsumer anywhere say, damn the cost of this is to low I think they should raise the price. Do you say that, have you said that?
First, please let me state that I never once referred to "you" in my posting. It was a general post, a post intended for the general population who reads and posts threads on Saturnfans.com. It was not intended to point a finger at you or anyone in particular.

Second, if you have watched the news in the last 5-years, you would see that one of the big news makers is the rising cost of fuel, albeit it has not been as popular recently due to our country's current economic standing and how our potential future leaders are battling it out to see who can best fix our country's current economic standing. It has been a big topic in several automotive magazines within the past few years as well and while hybrid vehicles are becoming more and more popular. The point of my "rant" was that it only makes sense that GM is looking to develop vehicles that use less fuel. Of course I did not interview every person in our country. You are a bigger skeptic than me. I too like to see facts, figures, and studies before drawing a conclusion. According to what has been in the media and according to MANY people I have talked to over the past few years, the rising costs of fuel is a major concern. I do no not know for sure, but probably one of the reasons you and your family like the Ion so much is because it gets pretty good gas mileage, although I am sure that would not be your only reason.

I am surprised to read that you took my response so personally. It appears you just enjoy a good argument or at the very least like to argue.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #20
znr14
znr14 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

I hope it does. I was very dissapointed when I heard it wasn't going to be offered with a performance engine. I was hoping for a larger displacement but, its a start. A 1.4 liter engine, my sport bike has the same size motor.

I hope the rumor is ture and they do make this option avalible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to znr14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help znr14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
znr14 is offline   Reply With Quote