SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
ExMiata
ExMiata is on a distinguished road

Default Engine Temp Gauge Doesn't Work-Update

I went to Auto Zone today for as my wife said "the car's day at a spa".

I replaced the pcv valve. The one I took out looked like it had been in there for a loooooonnnnngggg time. Got a bottle of Tecron to dump in on my next fill up.

Got a case of oil and a filter - not Fram, a set of AC spark plugs, an air filter-mine was black and had leaves in it, a auto trans filter-looking at everything else it had been a while since it was changed.

The oil looks fresh and full to the mark, so I will wait for (I hope) a warmer day to change it.

The trans fluid is full and looks clean too - I still want to change the filter, but it can wait until I do the oil

I remembered the mechanic said the etcs connector had coolant in it, so I got some contact cleaner. When I got home and let things cool down I pulled the connector and it was wet. I gave it a blast of contact cleaner. That dried it out and cleaned it up nicely. Once I was sure it was dry, put in back on.

Spark plugs - badly worn with whitish gray deposits.
I FOUND A LOT of fresh oil on three out of the four plugs. Is that an easy fix???

I got her all back together put away all my tools!(confident bugger!) and turned the key.....She started great. We went for a drive - ran great.

After a few miles I came to a full stop and the idle speed was 750. But when I got home and parked her idle speed was 1,000?
I shut it down and started back up - 750rpm... don't know is that normal?

All in-all a good day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExMiata's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExMiata reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Engine Temp Gauge Doesn't Work-Update

First it is good that you took the time to address some basic maintenance items that often get ignored. But a couple of things to consider. It has been proven that when you need a PCV valve, it is better to get the OEM part from the dealer. Aftermarket valves do not have the proper calibration for these cars. Next, while I don't have a automatic, I have read many times here the transmission filter should also be OEM. I don't know what the issues are with the filter but most members here say you should stay with OEM on that. As for the ECTS connector having coolant in it says that the sensor is cracked and leaking through it. You need to replace the sensor with a brass one. Reinspect the connector closely to make sure it isn't corroded. If it is, replace it also.

As for the oil on the spark plugs, I didn't see anywhere in your post whether your car is a DOHC or SOHC. If it is a DOHC, the oil is likely from a leaking cam cover gasket. It is an easy fix. It can be found in the "HOW TO" section.

The idle problem could be related to the ECTS.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
ExMiata
ExMiata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
First it is good that you took the time to address some basic maintenance items that often get ignored. But a couple of things to consider. It has been proven that when you need a PCV valve, it is better to get the OEM part from the dealer. Aftermarket valves do not have the proper calibration for these cars. Next, while I don't have a automatic, I have read many times here the transmission filter should also be OEM. I don't know what the issues are with the filter but most members here say you should stay with OEM on that. As for the ECTS connector having coolant in it says that the sensor is cracked and leaking through it. You need to replace the sensor with a brass one. Reinspect the connector closely to make sure it isn't corroded. If it is, replace it also.

As for the oil on the spark plugs, I didn't see anywhere in your post whether your car is a DOHC or SOHC. If it is a DOHC, the oil is likely from a leaking cam cover gasket. It is an easy fix. It can be found in the "HOW TO" section.

The idle problem could be related to the ECTS.
The ECTS was changed last week-the mechanic told me the connector was wet with coolant. I simple guessed the mechanic did not properly dry the connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExMiata's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExMiata reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMiata View Post
The ECTS was changed last week-the mechanic told me the connector was wet with coolant. I simple guessed the mechanic did not properly dry the connector.
It means that the old coolant sensor was cracked and leaked coolant into the connector. You should replace the connector. There will be corrosion in it and the 5 volt signal will not reliably be geting through to the PCM.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Also you are going to notice some parts you really need to get from the dealer...they really aren't much more expensive this way, and in the long run sometimes it saves you money because you don't have to replace the part as quickly again.

Just for a short list of dealer-only parts:
PCV Valve
Auto tranny filter
Thermostat
ECTS and ECTS connector
Upper engine mount
(This is all I can recall at the moment, but I think it might be everything just about.)

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote