SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Fedhell
Fedhell is on a distinguished road

Default Service engine and other red dash light (2000 sl2)

Hey i was just taking my new saturn out for a drive today when all of a sudden 2 lights came on. Service engine soon, and a small red light in the middle of the console. i cannot make out what it is.

If any of you 2000 owners (or close) have an owners manule can you look it up for me please. It is in the center of the dash, and is a small red box with an arrow pointing down, and a wave in the box indicating a fluid level. I think it is trying to tell me that one of my fluids is low but i cannot make out which one.

If i fix the fluid light will the service engine go away? It may have been on before the red one came on, not sure.

thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fedhell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fedhell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fedhell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Service engine and other red dash light (2000 sl2)

Maybe low Oil??? or coolent?

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Fedhell

Default Re: Service engine and other red dash light (2000 sl2)

checked my coolant and oils they looked fine, hmm, i dunno, maybe i just didnt see the symbol right. Damm me buying a car with no manuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fedhell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

If the indicator looks like this, then you are low on coolant.

2000 and up have a tendency to leak at the intake mainfold. There is a redesigned gasket available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Fedhell

your my hero, will this also be causing the service engine soon light to come on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
CrewCab
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedhell View Post
your my hero, will this also be causing the service engine soon light to come on?
That is most likely another issue. There are places that can check out SES lights for free. See if you can get that done. Make sure you write down the codes (very important). Then I would suggest coming back here and post the code(s) you get. Chances are it is a simple repair you can do yourself and save some cash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Fedhell

But with SES its still save to drive the car until i get it fixed right? There is no SES code that will be destructive to my vehicle right? just when i get the service and wrench sign do i have to worry?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The leaking intake manifold gasket will also cause the SES (service engine soon) light to come on. This is only an issue on SOHC (Single OverHead Cam) models: SC1, SL1, SW1.

There could be other problems as well that cause the SES light to come on. You should get the diagnostic codes read (Autozone does it free). They'll try to sell you parts based on the codes, but you want to get the actual codes and post them here. People here will tell you what they mean.

The manifold gasket is something you'll want to get fixed ASAP. Cost me about $170 at the local shop, shouldn't be much more than that.

Also, if you haven't replaced the original ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor), now'd be a great time. Make sure the new sensor is brass. They're about $10 from Advance Auto, if you're inclined to do it yourself, there's a very nice how-to in that section of this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
CrewCab
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlem7 View Post
The leaking intake manifold gasket will also cause the SES (service engine soon) light to come on. This is only an issue on SOHC (Single OverHead Cam) models: SC1, SL1, SW1.

The DOHC engines leak coolant from the intake manifold. It is not the same issue that the SOHC engines have (misfiring, vacuum leak, etc.). The OP has a DOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But with SES its still save to drive the car until i get it fixed right? There is no SES code that will be destructive to my vehicle right? just when i get the service and wrench sign do i have to worry?
Hmm. The SES code is telling you "hey there's something wrong, get me checked". If you don't get it checked out pronto, it can turn into huge problems. The service wrench light is not the only one to worry about, in fact, it's not one of the more serious ones.

Basically, the color of the light tells you how bad it is.
Yellow means "check this out, proceed with caution", etc.
Red means "Stop driving the car NOW before something bad/worse happens".

As you mentioned, the Low Coolant light is red, meaning it's a pretty serious indicator. If the level in the reservoir checks out O.K. (there's marks on the side to tell you where it should be), it could be a flaky level sensor, and you should be ok to drive it as long as you check the reservoir often.

So in short, while it's generally ok to drive with the SES light on (hopefully to the garage - that's the whole point), realize that doing so can negatively effect performance/mileage, etc., and driving with a red colored light on is a big No-No.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Fedhell

well im off to bed, ill read and respond to all replys b4 work tommorow. Peace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Owner's manuals are fairly commonly available via eBay, et al.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #13
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The SES light on is something to get fixed go to a parts store and get it read and post the codes, not the expanation back here. As for driving it, if it's just lit you can drive it. If it's flashing, that means you are getting a miss that is damaging the cat and it shouldn't be driven.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote