SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn ASTRA reliability (please sign up if you own one)

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly. Also, any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

Thanks to the help of Saturnfans and its members, for which I am very grateful, the AURA and OUTLOOK are among the best represented models, with over 100 owners signed up for each. And the 2008 VUE is coming on strong, with nearly 50 owners signed up already.

Hopefully we can do the same with the ASTRA, and have initial reliability results as soon as May.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Saturn ASTRA reliability (please sign up if you own one)

I just signed up my Astra, I hope I can be of help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
mkaresh
Advanced Member

Thanks, I appreciate it.

There are now 25 owners signed up. I expect a result in August.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
BNM449
BNM449 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hi, new Saturn Astra owner, I signed up for the TrueDelta database.

~N~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BNM449's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BNM449 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BNM449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
foster
foster is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Signed up today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
mkaresh
Advanced Member

In the latest results, the 2008 Saturn ASTRA had a repair rate of 71 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year. While this is average, it is about double the initial result reported in August.

If this trend continues, the repair rate will become worse than average. We'll find out with the next update, in February.

Excellent participation by ASTRA owners, but more would be even better.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

New owner as of yesterday. Will follow up as I get some gas mileage info and such.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
mart
mart is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've just signed and am looking at the list of so called "repairs". This is some kind of ridiculous! Most of entries there are not real problematic repairs, but first/recent odometer entries. You can see there such bad "problems" as "none", "no repairs", "Purchase of car", "nail in rear tire" and so on. Why are people adding things like that as repairs?

And also the numbers in trip/year column and numbers of entries in repair history lists (I looked at several cars, not only astra) just don't add up. Sometimes they are higher, sometimes they are lower. I just don't see the counting logic there, so the whole thing looks rigged to me. Or am I missing something?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
mkaresh
Advanced Member

You're missing a number of things.

First off, as explained at the top of the Repair Histories page, these merge the responses to two surveys. The analysis only includes responses to the main survey. The second survey is for repairs that occurred before joining and whatever someone wants to report that cannot be reported on the main survey.

Second, even some repairs reported on the main survey are excluded from the analysis. For example, batteries and tires never count. Responses are screened carefully with the main survey, not at all for the second.

Finally, note that cars that have had no repairs reported are only shown if entries were made through the second survey.

The Repair Histories should only be used to get an idea of the types of repairs, not their frequency. For repair rates, rely on the results in the table.

Last edited by mkaresh; 02-11-2009 at 02:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
mkaresh
Advanced Member

TrueDelta has released updated Car Reliability Survey results for the Saturn Astra. The repair rate remains much the same at 52 repair trips per 100 cars per year, which is about average.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, so additional participants would certainly be helpful.

TrueDelta now has a separate results page for each model that includes the scores of competitors for easy comparisons. The one for the Saturn ASTRA:

Saturn ASTRA reliability comparisons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
jeyatl
jeyatl is on a distinguished road

I have a Saturn Astra I purchased in April 2008. It has been nothing but problems. My check engine light comes on and power is reduced a lot. They have repaired it 4 times but still having the same issue. Anyone else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeyatl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeyatl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeyatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
mart
mart is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thank you for explanations. It sounds like you put a lot of work into the site. However, it does not come properly through for someone who is new to it. There should be more clear structured explanations about how it works and naming things in a more specific way, e.g., not just using "repairs" for everything. Else you would be getting a lot of similar first impressions as in my previous message from people who try to go beyond just checking out the summary table.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
arcolak
arcolak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyatl View Post
I have a Saturn Astra I purchased in April 2008. It has been nothing but problems. My check engine light comes on and power is reduced a lot. They have repaired it 4 times but still having the same issue. Anyone else?

Got mine in July of 08 and I am having the same problem. Plus i have to drive 2 hours to get it fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arcolak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arcolak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arcolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
brmedlock
brmedlock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcolak View Post
Got mine in July of 08 and I am having the same problem. Plus i have to drive 2 hours to get it fixed.
Bought mine in April 2008, two months later it was in the shop for engine problems, and it's in again now for more engine issues. Nothing but headaches with this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brmedlock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brmedlock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brmedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Astralavista
Astralavista is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR
2009 Outlook XE

Ok, added my car on the site... am the first and only 09 Astra on there... had to get Michael to add it to the site. So if there is anyone else with an 09, definitely get onto the website and sign up so they have something to work with. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astralavista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astralavista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astralavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
lyndsay54
lyndsay54 is on a distinguished road

TrueDelta has released updated Car Reliability Survey results for the Saturn Astra. The repair rate remains much the same at 52 repair trips per 100 cars per year, which is about average.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, so additional participants would certainly be helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lyndsay54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lyndsay54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lyndsay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
RoxyXR3
RoxyXR3 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've had mine 10 months and 8 warranty issues . Like the car and its styling but a little voice in the back of my head is telling me mine's a turd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoxyXR3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoxyXR3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoxyXR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Smil3r
Smil3r is on a distinguished road

Had mine less than 12 months and only had 2 issues with it.

Oil return feed from turbo and a problem with the drivers (your passenger) door lock mechanism.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smil3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smil3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smil3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
pickles33
pickles33 is on a distinguished road

I have had my astra for one year and I purchased it because of the look and feel of driving it. It has now been in the shop 3 times all for different things. Unfortunately my view of it has now been skewed due to the problems but it is a GM product so a few problems are expected

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pickles33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pickles33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pickles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
goldsworthyj
goldsworthyj is on a distinguished road

you're a crook. taking people's money for a bull**** warranty. those who have paid should DEMAND a refund. you're a pirate ... **** you, by the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goldsworthyj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goldsworthyj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goldsworthyj is offline   Reply With Quote