SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
maralv
maralv is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Any tall guys driving a saturn Aura

I just traded my 06 Saturn Vue for a new 2008 XE Aura. I must say that the seats do not feel very comfortable. I am 6' 2 and I am finding very hard to find a good seating position. It would almost appear that the car was not design for tall people. For one the shoulder belt is low and the car is very short. I love the car it drives very well , very quiet and gets great gas mileage. I wanted to know if other readers are experiencing the same problem?. We test drove a 08 Vue and it seem much more comfortable but picked the AURA because of better gas milage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maralv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maralv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maralv is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
apple jacks48
apple jacks48 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Any tall guys driving a saturn Aura

im 6'3" and have not had a problem with comfort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to apple jacks48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help apple jacks48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
apple jacks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
bulld0g
bulld0g is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralv View Post
I just traded my 06 Saturn Vue for a new 2008 XE Aura. I must say that the seats do not feel very comfortable. I am 6' 2 and I am finding very hard to find a good seating position. It would almost appear that the car was not design for tall people. For one the shoulder belt is low and the car is very short. I love the car it drives very well , very quiet and gets great gas mileage. I wanted to know if other readers are experiencing the same problem?. We test drove a 08 Vue and it seem much more comfortable but picked the AURA because of better gas milage.
Do you have power seats? if so there is a seat height adjustment...plus the telescoping/ tilt steering wheel...I am 6'2" 270 and don't have a problem with the seating position

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bulld0g's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bulld0g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bulld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

My father-inlaw is 6'8" and did not like riding in our 08. Mostly because the ceiling was too low for him and he had a hard time getting in the car. But I think it is just him being picky. He drive a Mazda Protege and fits fine.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

The lumbar support is a problem for me. The lever is in a weird spot and it's hard to make a quick adjustment if you're moving and want to change the support. The "dead pedal" for the left foot is angled weird for me, too. I have a problem with my left leg falling asleep on me sometimes. Headroom is fine though (I'm 6'2").

Oddly, I'm currently driving a rental Mazda6 while some major surgery is being done on my XR's faulty steering system. Cloth seats, no adjustable pedals, manual adjusting seats, yet I'm MORE comfortable in the 6 and it's smaller than the Aura. The dead pedal is angled better (I can rest my foot in a more comfortable position) and the lumbar control is a big dial on the front left side of the seat so you can make quick adjustments as needed. I wish I considered that platform (6/Fusion/Milan/MKZ) more seriously before getting the Aura...I might have purchased differently! The interior build quality in the 6 is atrociously bad though...but it is a rental so who knows WHAT the heck people have done to it in its short life.

Quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I'm 6'2" and have had some trouble with the seatbelt when I get the seat comfortable.

When I get the seat to a comfortable position, the shoulder strap is lower than it should be; it goes in front of my shoulder rather than over it, even with it adjusted to maximum height.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
WhenenRome
WhenenRome is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I'm a little over 6'1, in an XR with leather power seats & sunroof, and don't have any comfort problems at all. It's great for me.

Now: 07 Saturn Aura XR 3.6 Black / 04 Olds Bravada Final 500 Dark Cherry (both paid for!)
Then: 02 Olds Alero GLS / 01 Olds Aurora 3.5 / 95 Ford T-Bird LX-V8
In Fam: 05 Buick LaCrosse CXS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhenenRome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhenenRome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhenenRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
MJD112379

I forgot to mention the strap...same issue here. It locks up way too easily, too...but the rental I'm in for the time being is even more sensitive. I'd hate to think in an accident these things breaking my ribs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4624 View Post
I'm 6'2" and have had some trouble with the seatbelt when I get the seat comfortable.

When I get the seat to a comfortable position, the shoulder strap is lower than it should be; it goes in front of my shoulder rather than over it, even with it adjusted to maximum height.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
STRNGUY
STRNGUY is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

No problems for me, although I'm a relatively short tall guy. 6'1"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to STRNGUY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help STRNGUY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
STRNGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
bulld0g
bulld0g is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4624 View Post

did you adjust the seat belt height lever on the B pillar?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bulld0g's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bulld0g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bulld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
MJD112379

That's just the problem...even at the highest level, it's still a bit too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulld0g View Post
did you adjust the seat belt height lever on the B pillar?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
SteelerXR
SteelerXR will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
I must say that the seats do not feel very comfortable. I am 6' 2 and I am finding very hard to find a good seating position. It would almost appear that the car was not design for tall people.
I'm 6'2" 265lb and I have zero issues with my Aura's seating arrangement however, it's all a matter of opinion. How can anyone come up with a standard definition of comfort? In answer to your statement, I have not detected a trend that leads me to believe that the Aura is uncomfortable for tall people.

69Mini 70VWKombi 71Datsun1600 72Beetle 76AlfasudSprint 86VWGolfII 93VWJettaIII 91NissanSentra 94VWGolfIII 95VWPoloPlaya 99OpelAstra 01VWBeetle 03VWGolfIVTDi 06VWPassat2.0T 06SubaruTribeca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteelerXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteelerXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SteelerXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
MJD112379

You're right, there is no standard. For example, I thought my old Pontiac had the most comfy front seats I ever sat in. Others thought they were hard and unsupportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerXR View Post
I'm 6'2" 265lb and I have zero issues with my Aura's seating arrangement however, it's all a matter of opinion. How can anyone come up with a standard definition of comfort? In answer to your statement, I have not detected a trend that leads me to believe that the Aura is uncomfortable for tall people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
slowTA
slowTA is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

At first I thought I was going to have issues with the seats, '08 XR with cloth seats. I now have 1600 miles on it and it feels fine. But I'm really short (comparably to this crowd) at 5'-10". I made 1 or 2 adjustments around 600 miles and have been fine since. I think the bottom of the seat could be longer for more thigh support, but then that would suck for shorter people!

For me it is more of a leg issue, the inside (left side) of my right knee aches after long rides in some cars. I noticed this first in dad's '88 Suburban, then when my '88 Firebird became a weekend car it would do it too. I drove a Corvette and a GTO on a long trip and that did it too. So it is all types of cars, seats high off the floor and very low to it. I had this start happen on the Aura before the adjustment after about 1/2 an hour (my average commute). Now it is fine and I'll see what happens on longer drives.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowTA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowTA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slowTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I have no problems here. i am 6'2. I have the seat all the way back(but i do in all cars) with the bottom back of the seat down low and the front tilted up a little and the seat belt hits me perfect. My adjustable pedals are all the way back also. I also dont like the seat straight up i have it so my arm is bent ever so slightly when i touch the top of the steering wheel, good to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

I'm 6'3" and had an '07 Malibu (almost identical as far as seating and floor layout in the front to the Aura) for a month as a rental, and was always extremely comfortable. I think the only thing that bugged me at times was I couldn't seem to get just the right angle on the pedals with my foot, and would get an ankle ache at first...but I think that was more not being used to the car, at first.

Same with mom's new '08 Malibu. Again, same seats and floor, etc., and I'm very, very comfortable and LOVE the seats. Only thing, again, I noted was not being able to get 100% the right position on the pedals with my foot, and got an ache again when I was test driving one. Then I got used to it, the second or so time.

She's fairly tall too...and having traded a Suburban for the Malibu (talk about a shocking trade!), hasn't had a complaint yet. Only wishes she could tilt the steering wheel up further, but nothing with seats or floor.

It was a shock having to get back in my 20ft long Cadillac Fleetwood after it was repaired and I turned in my '07...because as small as that car was in comparison, with the FWD and general layout, it had at least twice the front legroom and a much deeper footwell than my boat, which felt oddly cramped on the first drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
maralv
maralv is on a distinguished road

My Aura has power seats. I think it will take some time. I find that SUV's provide a better support. sitting posture on a SUV feels like you are sitting on a chair. The seats on the Aura feels like you are sitting on a Launch Chair. We also have a Outlook and you can feel the difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maralv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maralv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maralv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L

I'm 7'6". My head sticks out of the sunroof a little.

Just kidding....I'm 6'6" and put the seat all the way back with the pedals all the way forward. No complaints here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My Aura has power seats. I think it will take some time. I find that SUV's provide a better support. sitting posture on a SUV feels like you are sitting on a chair. The seats on the Aura feels like you are sitting on a Launch Chair. We also have a Outlook and you can feel the difference.
Yes, EXACTLY. That's probably playing a huge part in it for you.

With an SUV, everything is elevated and larger, so sitting in a seat is very much like sitting in a comfortable and elevated office, etc. chair. Down low in a car, it's more like being in a bathtub (hah!) with your legs and such straighter out instead of down.

This was exactly the reason my mother couldn't bear to go to anything but another SUV when I had her drive a few new sedans about a year or so ago, which is what still shocks me now that she made the jump to the Malibu and loves it. It is SO much different than a Suburban, for sure. But, you get used to it, usually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

I am 6'1 and about 190 lbs. I have the 08 with power seat and lumbar support. I love the seats and comfort provided in the aura and its seat. This is my opinion though.. I have the lumbar at full force and i have the tilt wheel all the way up and telescoping at almost a little past half way towards driver. seat is back a bit and the legs elevated. It will take time to find the right position for you. I don't know about the seats in an 06 vue but compared to 05 vue they are light years away from each other and of course coming from the 06 ion seats wow!!!!.. The only thing the aura needs is Memory Seats!!! I absolutely hate it when my wife wants to or does drive the car, she was good last time and didn't mess with my seat!!!! which took forever to set up! bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote