SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
ialonso
ialonso is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default New Here- THANKS FOR THE WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE

I just acquired a 99 Saturn SL-1 with 130,000 miles. It belonged to my brother before. the car had about 60,000 miles when he got it, and the only problems he had was a self destructing transmission (Case Cracked, internals all messed up, not rebuildable), so they installed a Junked one 30K miles ago,
and it's still going strong.

The car was also suffered an accident when a Flying truck tire fell on top of the driver side door and side wheel cover. We replaced the door and side with one from a Junked one too. (The car now has electric Window-Not Windows-Just Window; Only the driver side is electric)

Enough Background, Now to detail what I have done to it THANKS TO ALL YOUR PRIOR RESEARCH AND INFO !!!

The car has always had High Idle,Sticky Gas Pedal, Gauge Idicated Low Operating Temp, and vibrated like hell too. So since the car is now mine, I was actually interested in trying to fix these things,

The sticky pedal was actually a side effect of prior attemps to fix the high idle, in which the adjustment screw on the Throttle body was backed out all the way, so the plate was sticking.. I screwed it in just enough, and voila, sticky throttle gone !

and I did the following for the other items, following your advice :

After following your tips for this car I have replaced the Upper Mount -
The instructions were great ! - and WOW ! What a difference !!!
The car went From Rattler from Hell to Brand New Feeling (well, almost)

To deal with High Idle: (About 1100-1200 when cold originally)
Found Vaccuum leak on hose between resonator(I think it's what is called) and Valve Cover.This brought idle when cold to 1000 and when lukewarm it sometimes came down to about 900 when lucky,
but temp needle was not going past 1/4 mark line, so
We replaced the ECTS as recommended also, and even though it was cracked, seems it was giving good reading before since the reading continued to be low, always under the 1/4 mark.

So I replaced the Thermostat as recommended here with one from Advance Auto Parts (195F). AutoZone and o'Reilly want to sell me a 185F,
but that was reported as too low after reading some experiences here. Now with the 195F thermostat the temperture actually goes past the 1/4th mark,
so the car now idles GREAT when warm, like it's supposed to !

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE GREAT KNOWLEDGE DEPOSITED HERE !
I'm really happy with the Car.

It is, incredibly, a modern car that is somewhat comfortable to work in, most things are not horribly cramped in the engine bay, and many parts are in plain sight. Seems to have been designed with the intention of being a long lasting, reliable, easy to maintain, very functional car.

Even the Transmission filter has easy access, and the Owner's Manual even details some more advanced maintenance procedures... truly a statement to the diffferent mentality of the Original Design, Car and Brand.

With Saturn Moving to sell mostly rebadged Opel cars in the US, maybe this original spirit is no longer the highlight of the brand, but at least we have the SL-Series still going strong, with many cars still on the road, and pretty decent used car values prove that the idea was a good one, and hopefully repeated in the future.

I have something to add too: (I will add it to a new thread later when I have a picture...)

On the 99 SL-1, The Trunk light receives constant 12V+ and the ground is switched at the latch, by a very small switch that can stop working if dirty.
Troubleshooting this was very hard for me, because the ground connection was very poor, but present, so it read 12v with a voltmeter with No bulb, but as soon as I placed the bulb in, the voltage would drop to almost zero.
Anyway, after looking at the wiring diagram I found the switch, and fiddled with it a while with the little access I had to it, and the light started working again.

I tested the mechanism about 15 times before declaring the fix permanent...

I'll add a picture of the switch as soon as I have a chance to take one...

Regards, and Thanks again,

Israel Alonso

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ialonso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ialonso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ialonso is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: New Here- THANKS FOR THE WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE

Glad to hear you fixed most of the problems. I would NOT mess with the idle adjustment screw. instead clean the throttle body. tho now your idle is fixed, a good cleaning never hurt

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
ialonso

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
... I would NOT mess with the idle adjustment screw....
Thanks for the warning... Too bad we weren't looking for it when we tried to fix this problem originally on the car, when it wasn't mine... The screw was so backed out, that the plate was sticking on the throttle body itself, via physical contact that was never in the design... I screwed it in about 1/2 turn, and I don't plan on touching that screw again. My dad had backed it out all the way to try to adjust idle. May the Saturn gods forgive us for our ignorace and keep the car running great in spite of our bad behavior :-)

I'll consider the TB cleaning next time I open the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ialonso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Actually I believe the proper adjustment for that screw is to unplug the IAC (The lower of the doodads plugged into the back of the throttle body. The upper one is the TPS) and adjust the idle to 500 RPM when hot. The hose from the valve cover to the "resonator" had to be from the PCV valve into the intake manifold. Not criticizing, just trying to teach you. Besides if you haven't done it. Now's a good time to check that PCV valve. It's the silver thing in the valve cover at the end of that hose. Pull it out and give it a shake. It should rattle nicely.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
It should rattle nicely.
the one part that supposed to rattle that sometimes doesnt

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
ialonso

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Actually I believe the proper adjustment for that screw is to unplug the IAC (The lower of the doodads plugged into the back of the throttle body. The upper one is the TPS) and adjust the idle to 500 RPM when hot. The hose from the valve cover to the "resonator" had to be from the PCV valve into the intake manifold. Not criticizing, just trying to teach you. Besides if you haven't done it. Now's a good time to check that PCV valve. It's the silver thing in the valve cover at the end of that hose. Pull it out and give it a shake. It should rattle nicely.
Good Point on the terms, I don't know how I made up Resonator...

The PCV valve is a part I was familiar with from prior car work and it does make a nice noise when shaken.

Thanks for the procedure or setting the screw correctly. I'll do that when I have a chance to place it on the correct setting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
95LLO
95LLO is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Love this site, but wondering if anyone still posts here? Although all the old stuff has helped me out a few times anyway. Timeless info!

Anyway, I have a 1995 SL2 auto 132k

Just changed my ECTS. The car always had a higher idle (11-1200ish), and recently it hasn't wanted to start without mashing gas pedal or when it did start it would idle up n down then eventually stall. I first tried plugs, wires...no help
Then cleaned the EGR valve, after reading on here how easy it was. I had mild improvement but car still would stall at idle.
Changing that ECT sensor dropped my rpms by 300! Sits smoothly at around 900 now....so quiet! Its like a new car!

Thanks to all posters on here!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95LLO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95LLO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95LLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Site is still very active... just look at the dates and time on the posts...

Highmile
'95 SL1 627k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

digging up an old thread but it prompted me to also say a big thank you to everyone

i have really enjoyed this site and ive learned a ton....it has helped me in ways to numerous to list and made me a bit of a saturn geek in the process

7 years later im still driving my 95 sw2 and enjoying as much or more than ever

im continually improving its restoration and upgrades...swappin parts and keepin it tight

thanks again for the ride

92 SL2 A/T white
93 SL1 man burgundy
93 SL2 A/T turquoise
94 SL1 man medium blue
94 SL2 A/T gold
95 SW2 A/T white (daily driver)
97 SL2 A/T gold
99 SW1 A/T green
95 SW2 man gold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote