SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Default U1301 - ECTS Related?

U1301 - Class 2 Short to Battery

Had this code a few months back, replaced the ECTS and it hasn't returned. Anyone know what it means (other than a short to the battery ) and if it's related? I haven't found any info that would connect the two.

edit: I believe class 2 is the designation for GM's DTC communications.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: U1301 - ECTS Related?

My impression is that U1301 relates to a failure of internal communications between the various diagnostic and control modules (e.g., microprocessors/computers ) in the car. Almost sounds as if for some reason the data link was pulled high, possibly by an intermittent short.

A bad ECTS appears to mess with just about everything else in the car, why not communications although I fail to see a clear connection (no pun intended).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
nivlem7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
A bad ECTS appears to mess with just about everything else in the car, why not communications
Indeed!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
nivlem7
Advanced Member

Interesting link on Trouble Code diagnostics.

http://www.gmtcny.com/serial%20data.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlem7 View Post
Interesting link on Trouble Code diagnostics.

http://www.gmtcny.com/serial%20data.html
Check this one out too
http://www.regalgs.org/obd2.htm
If you can read that chart without getting dizzy it might help

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Or if you use the chart on this cadillac site(which looks to be put together in an understandable manner and is the same as the other link) it might give you a better clue

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2m.html#man
so if I am reading this right
U=Network code
1=Manufacturer Code
3=Ignition System Or Misfire
01=General Sensor Fault

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
nivlem7
Advanced Member

That would make sense to me, as far as pointing to the ECTS.

The Cadillac link also mentions the the code : DTC 14 - Coolant Temp Voltage Low which would be U1314, I believe. I didn't know that the ECTS had any specific codes, and am surprised that I didn't see that one.

Thanks for the links!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
That would make sense to me, as far as pointing to the ECTS.

The Cadillac link also mentions the the code : DTC 14 - Coolant Temp Voltage Low which would be U1314, I believe. I didn't know that the ECTS had any specific codes, and am surprised that I didn't see that one.

Thanks for the links!
Yeah.....either that or didn't you have an cylinder misfire code when this first showed up.....it could have been just stuck in the memory...but the ECTS can cause wierd idle and on occasion misfire problems for various reasons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
nivlem7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
Yeah.....either that or didn't you have an cylinder misfire code when this first showed up...
Actually, I did have the cyl 1 misfire code originally (P0301, IIRC), along with the U1301. Had the IMG replaced, which eliminated the misfire code, but the U1301 kept coming back, until I replaced the ECTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
.....it could have been just stuck in the memory..
So would you say it's rather inconclusive as to whether or not the ECTS was the cause of that code?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Actually, I did have the cyl 1 misfire code originally (P0301, IIRC), along with the U1301. Had the IMG replaced, which eliminated the misfire code, but the U1301 kept coming back, until I replaced the ECTS.

So would you say it's rather inconclusive as to whether or not the ECTS was the cause of that code?
No, If it was in the history it would have said so...and since ECTS issues can cause a misfire that could have been your problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
nivlem7
Advanced Member

They're baaaack.

Yesterday, my mom borrowed my car and drove about 150 miles round trip. This morning, I noticed the SES light was on, and she said it illuminated about 25 miles before she got home. The code went away after about 10 minutes of me driving. I scanned the codes and got the two that I haven't seen since I replaced the ECTS 4 and 1/2 months ago:

P0172 - System Too Rich
U1301 - Class 2 Short to Battery - this one is a "pending" code.

Freeze frame data from the scanner says:

Calc Load (%) = 58.4
Coolant (deg F) = 185
ST FRM1(%) = - 1.5 (yes, it's a negative)
LT FRM1(%) = - 21.8 (again, negative)
MAP (in. hg) = 20.4
ENGINE(RPM) = 2177
VEH SPEED (MPH) = 21
ABSLT TPS(%) = 14.1
Second Air = ERROR

All applicable I/M status' are ok

Can anyone tell me what the ST FRM1 and LT FRM1 are?

Also, is it possible that the PCM "learned" my style of driving, and created a too rich mixture based on my mom's driving?

Also, could it be related to a blown parking lamp fuse a few days ago?

This is driving me nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When you replaced the ECTS did you check the two-wire connector for any signs of corrosion from leaking coolant? The corrosion may act to restrict voltage, basically doing the same as if the coolant sensor wasn't replaced and still causing a rich running condition. The rich running condition is shown as the short and long term fuel trims as negative values. The short term trims are for everyday driving and skew the overall a/f ratios while the long term trims are based on the average short term trims. Does the engine idle higher than 800-900 rpm when fully earmed up? Is the thermostat operating at temperature and not below? An open thermostat or leaking O-ring from the thermostat housing may allow the engine to run cooler than normal and the coolant sensor may detect this, informing the PCM as an engine not up to operating temperatures and continue running it rich as reflected by the trim percentages. Negative numbers indicate rich a/f mixtures while positive numbers reflect lean conditions. Plus or minus 8% would be considered normal, so the minus 21% is way over and probably set off the P0172 code. Just my 2-cents.

ST FRM1(%) = - 1.5 (yes, it's a negative)
LT FRM1(%) = - 21.8 (again, negative)

Some light reading; http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/cm100428.htm and http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/pcmtuning.htm may give you some more information to help understand what's going on.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote