SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
saturn678
saturn678 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1
Default Ion Dash lights

what type of replacement bulb is it?? the far right side of my tachometer is dim i assume it is a dead bulb . any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn678's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn678 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn678 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Ion Dash lights

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Scroll all the way down to Instrument Cluster and Gauge Backlights. You want B8.5D

While you are going to be in there changing out the bulbs anyways, why not change them to a snazzy new color huh?

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
saturn678

2003 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

Which color is stock color???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn678 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Ugh, you bore me with your OEM look and feel. LOL

Stock color is white, but you will need to replace all of them at the same time because the new ones are LEDs and they will look different than the other original working bulbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
saturn678

2003 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

When i tapped the top of my dash the ight came back on.so i dunno whats going on . its been minus 35 celcius for the past 2 days does temperature have anything to do with these lights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I'm gonna say no on the weather thing. Probably just started to twist loose. Do you drive over large potholes often? LOL. Hope it stays on for you anyways, but it probably won't so save that website I linked for you...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
saturn678

2003 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

yeah, its not a big deal so next day i get free ill do surgery on it to see whats going on. i also doubt it will stay on had this same trouble in my sl1, replaced all bulbs except the SES it can stay off for a change, lol.but with 367000 KMS who blames that poor little light for being on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottmwz_finest View Post
http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Scroll all the way down to Instrument Cluster and Gauge Backlights. You want B8.5D

While you are going to be in there changing out the bulbs anyways, why not change them to a snazzy new color huh?
i'd be careful about replacing just the one dead bulb w/ an LED one - if you throw the wattage off on the circuit you could significantly shorten the life of your other bulbs and end up replacing them all.

so.... find the original filament bulb and replace it w/ that, or replace them all w/ LEDs would be my recommendation.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Echo???

Just kiddin' man. Thanks for reiterating though...good advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
QCs_R4_Girls
QCs_R4_Girls is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottmwz_finest View Post
I'm gonna say no on the weather thing. Probably just started to twist loose. Do you drive over large potholes often? LOL. Hope it stays on for you anyways, but it probably won't so save that website I linked for you...
He's right. Your bulb is just knocked loose due to poorly paved roads. Same thing happened to mine, right behind the temp gauge. Honestly, with all the prying away at the radio trim, removing the bolts, and flipping the center gauge over to wiggle around a bulb, buy a brand new set, even if it is OEM color, b/c Bc3tech's right, it will shorten the life of all the bulbs.

If you're just going to try to fix it yourself, good luck. But be careful if you start to twist the bulb around b/c the little metal tabs might break off. (and cause you to order extras in a completely different order... ) That being said, buying a new set from the website isn't a huge investment. You only need 4 bulbs to replace the entire cluster, and they cost around $10 total, not including shipping. It's also easier on the eyes rather than the bright white of a stock dash.

Just something for you to think about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue dash2.JPG (35.9 KB, 67 views)

"Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph."

3 - 2006 Ion Quad Coupe 2.2L, Manual, Black
2 - 2002 SC2, Manual, Silver
1 - 1998 SL2, Manual, Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QCs_R4_Girls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QCs_R4_Girls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QCs_R4_Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
1bigray
1bigray is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

How do you remove the dome around the cluster, is it simple clips like the radio cluster iece?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1bigray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1bigray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1bigray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

There is one screw underneath that holds it down. Pull the radio bezel off and up underneath around the middle near the gauge cluster you should find the one screw holding the cluster bezel down. Remove it and the bezel pops off just like the radio bezel. It has 3 (I think) clips holding it down. Pop it off and there are three screws holding the gauge cluster in place and are the same size as the one you removed from the cluster bezel.

One word to note, when you plug the cluster back in, make sure you snap the lock on it securely. When I did the bulbs in my wife's '07, I didn't snap it all the way and it popped lose at night while she was driving. Not only did she have no dash lights but no gauges as well. Oops!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
2004IonFreak
2004IonFreak is on a distinguished road

Okay, so this was incredibly helpful for me and I was wondering if I could also get some info on replacing the bulbs for the gear shifter and the climate control panel. Do you use the same kind of bulbs or different ones? And how many would I need? If I am going to change the color for the gauge cluster I might as well change all of them to the same color right? Any kind of information would be helpful. I am not afraid to admit that I'm not the best with fixing cars, but I love them and would like to teach myself as I go. Ottmwz you sound like you know what you're doing so I'm looking forward to a reply! Thank you in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004IonFreak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004IonFreak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004IonFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i had a burnt bulb once, then i went LED. its not hard to remove the instrument cluster. Take off the front bexel thats around the radio and AC controls, and hidden toward the top will be a bolt, more than likely 7mm. once thats removed, then the cluster bezel simply pops off. then theres a screw on either end of the cluster to remove. then the cluster is free, but then theres the cable on the back of the cluster, which does not have much slack to play with. i went blue LEDs, and a red one for the higher half of the tack. of course, my bulbs came from superbrightleds.com. there are 4 bulbs behind the cluster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0531.jpg (32.6 KB, 22 views)

03 ion-2 5sp manual
-Retrofitted projector headlights with 8000k HIDs
-Switchback LED indicators
-All interior lights/dash, blue LED
-Projector foglights with 8000k HID

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
ddemier7
ddemier7 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I really like that upgrade! Which bulbs where they exactly and how much were the bulbs? What did you do about the radio lights and shifter lights (if you have the automatic)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
Cougarstang
Cougarstang has a spectacular aura aboutCougarstang has a spectacular aura about

I played a lot with LED dash lights in my mustang, however I ran into issues with bright and dim spots since they're so directional. Is this an issue with the ION cluster as well? I can't tell from the pictures whether there are bright and dim spots, but that drove me nuts on the mustang and I went back to incandescent bulbs. I ended up using a slightly brighter bulb, and cut some reflective paper to put in the back of the cluster to increase the brightness, but maintain the even distribution of light.

What type of stock bulb does the ION cluster use (not the LED type)? What's the part #?

My ride: 2002 Ford Mustang GT, 4.6L v8, 5-speed manual
Wife's ride: 2006 Saturn ION 2, 5 speed manual
Gone but not forgotten: 2000 Saturn SL1, auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

ddemier, if you read the whole thread, you will find your answers. afaik, there's only one source for the LEDs.

cougarstang, they light pretty evenly, but it's not 100% perfect.

the stock bulb is a dealer part only (at least it was when I looked for it), so if you call them they will have the part number and sell them to you.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Cougarstang
Cougarstang has a spectacular aura aboutCougarstang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
the stock bulb is a dealer part only (at least it was when I looked for it), so if you call them they will have the part number and sell them to you.
That's irritating. What happened to using regular 194 bulbs that can be found at any parts store? Why did the engineers feel the need to use specialty bulbs?

Is there a comparable bulb that can be ordered elsewhere that still fits? If I remember correctly, the SL gauge clusters used special twist-in bulbs that were hard to find, but someone found an aftermarket one that serves as an adequate replacement. Do we have something like that for the ION cluster?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you can buy just the bulb, but then you have to get the bulb out of the holder and the new one in, not sure how easy it is, since it's been so many years since I replaced mine.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Cougarstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
you can buy just the bulb, but then you have to get the bulb out of the holder and the new one in, not sure how easy it is, since it's been so many years since I replaced mine.
Do you know why kind of bulb it is? (ex #74 wedge, etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!