SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Winsurfer76
Winsurfer76 is on a distinguished road

Default Power Steering noise

I just had my 07 Outlook in for warranty work for power steering noise/whine. When I brought it in a month ago, the dealer said they would replace the pump and it would take a while to come in.

When I brougth it in Friday, the pump was not replaced and the ticket said the following: "C/S whining noise while turning, tech found power steering pump fluid low- topped off to MAX then added 12mm over full mark, performed Bulletin #PIT4537 No noise heard on test drive"

Does anyone know the details of bulletin #PIT4537 ? I told the service manager I thought the pump was going to be replaced. He said that this is what they are told to do. Any Saturn techs out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Winsurfer76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Winsurfer76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Winsurfer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Power Steering noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsurfer76 View Post
I just had my 07 Outlook in for warranty work for power steering noise/whine. When I brought it in a month ago, the dealer said they would replace the pump and it would take a while to come in.

When I brougth it in Friday, the pump was not replaced and the ticket said the following: "C/S whining noise while turning, tech found power steering pump fluid low- topped off to MAX then added 12mm over full mark, performed Bulletin #PIT4537 No noise heard on test drive"

Does anyone know the details of bulletin #PIT4537 ? I told the service manager I thought the pump was going to be replaced. He said that this is what they are told to do. Any Saturn techs out there?
That's because they've replaced thousands of them and realize it's a faulty part. They're losing too much money on replacement (both parts and labor) so they're looking for a cheaper solution that will placate owners until their warranties expire. After that, they'll be happy to replace the pump.

I had mine replaced. If I were you, I'd demand replacement. But here's the downside, if the factory installed pump "failed", how can we know the replacement won't suffer the same problem after about the same number of miles?

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

I have heard adding more fluid corrects the problem.

Why is it not possible that the full line is just marked too low?

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Winsurfer76

I thought they were going to change the pump and the guy told me it would be 3 hrs. That was strike one. He also said he would call me when it was done. The service ticket said it was done at 9:20AM. I drove by the dealership on the way to lunch (11:30) and see my Outlook sitting outside ready to go. Strike two and three. By this time, I was pissed. I went inside and spoke with the service manager. I asked him why my vehicle was done for over two hours and no one had contacted me. All he could say was sorry. I also asked why my pump was not changed even though that was why I came in. He said it should have been communicated to me whenever I set up the appointment and that between the time my pump was ordered and now, "new" information came from GM on how to handle the power steering problems (hence the overfill). I proceeded to tell him his service department sucked and that he couldn't do anything to help that. This is why I'm asking about the bulletin number above.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm pissed off at the dealership and Saturn. This has killed any future thought of another Saturn purchase. I guess I should have stayed with Honda.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Winsurfer76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsurfer76 View Post
I thought they were going to change the pump and the guy told me it would be 3 hrs. That was strike one. He also said he would call me when it was done. The service ticket said it was done at 9:20AM. I drove by the dealership on the way to lunch (11:30) and see my Outlook sitting outside ready to go. Strike two and three. By this time, I was pissed. I went inside and spoke with the service manager. I asked him why my vehicle was done for over two hours and no one had contacted me. All he could say was sorry. I also asked why my pump was not changed even though that was why I came in. He said it should have been communicated to me whenever I set up the appointment and that between the time my pump was ordered and now, "new" information came from GM on how to handle the power steering problems (hence the overfill). I proceeded to tell him his service department sucked and that he couldn't do anything to help that. This is why I'm asking about the bulletin number above.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm pissed off at the dealership and Saturn. This has killed any future thought of another Saturn purchase. I guess I should have stayed with Honda.
Don't blame Saturn for one dealerships lack of performance. By the way, I would be willing to bet that your's was not the only vehicle being worked on that day and they might have been busy enough to be able to call you. The fix they did on it seems reasonable, if it works. If it doesn't, then you have a reason to complain.

I have never owned a Honda, but have you ever had any trouble with it and had to take it to the dealership?

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Winsurfer76

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
Don't blame Saturn for one dealerships lack of performance. By the way, I would be willing to bet that your's was not the only vehicle being worked on that day and they might have been busy enough to be able to call you. The fix they did on it seems reasonable, if it works. If it doesn't, then you have a reason to complain.

I have never owned a Honda, but have you ever had any trouble with it and had to take it to the dealership?
I am upset about the fact that the dealership said they were going to do one thing and did another. This is not the first problem I've had with my dealer's service dept.
I am also upset with Saturn for not owning up to a power steering pump problem and "bandaid" fixing it to get by. How would you feel if GM told you to put extra oil above the full mark on your engine? You probably wouldn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about your engine, would you?

I've owned a Honda product for the last decade and had great service from them. I got a trouble light on my Odyssey and it was a transmission problem. Honda acknowledged a problem with the transmission and replaced it for free (not under warranty mind you).

Bottom line is I think the Outlook is a great vehicle. I know that first year models have kinks that need to be worked out and accept that. I just feel they need to own up to a problem and come up with a better solution. As for the service dept. problem, I will take that up with Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Does anyone have evidence to show that adding more fluid isn't the proper fix, and just a "band-aid" solution?

I understand the frustration that comes from having to deal with issues with a new vehicle. But, if I brought my Outlook in for an engine issue and the service department said add more oil, I would much prefer that over an engine swap.

Also, if the 12mm of extra fluid does not solve the problem, you will most definitely experience the same problem before your warranty expires. And if the problem persists; a) you will not be the only one having this issue, b) GM would most likely have a fix by that time, and c) you will have documentation of the previous attempts at repair (to support your argument for compensation).

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3qu3t View Post
Does anyone have evidence to show that adding more fluid isn't the proper fix, and just a "band-aid" solution?

I understand the frustration that comes from having to deal with issues with a new vehicle. But, if I brought my Outlook in for an engine issue and the service department said add more oil, I would much prefer that over an engine swap.

Also, if the 12mm of extra fluid does not solve the problem, you will most definitely experience the same problem before your warranty expires. And if the problem persists; a) you will not be the only one having this issue, b) GM would most likely have a fix by that time, and c) you will have documentation of the previous attempts at repair (to support your argument for compensation).

You put it better than I did, thank you. Also, I don't know if you have more than 1 Saturn dealership in town, but if you do, could you go to them for help? What about another GM dealership for warranty work? I don't know about now, but in the old days you could go to any GM (Mr. Goodwrench) dealer and have any GM product worked on.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

Mine has it too.

PIT4537 just instructs the service tech to add more fluid, but check the level before adding. See attached document.

I'm taking mine back to the service this week if I can to see what they will do about it.

I searched the GM bulleting system for any other bulletins regarding this issue and found no others for the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PIT4537.pdf (40.7 KB, 442 views)

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Winsurfer76

Thanks for finding that Ed. The fix seems to be working. Hopefully they can get your noise fixed as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Ed

thanks for the info. Mine has been doing this as well (wife is the main driver.) It seems to be most prevelent at slow speeds with turning. I can actually feel the steering wheel shake!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
bjoseph
bjoseph is on a distinguished road

My 2008 Outlook just experienced the same problem. Power steering pump groaning when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. I checked the power steering fluid level and found it to be just below the "low" level. I filled the reservoir until the fluid was just past the "high" level and this seemed to fix the issue.

When I took it to the dealership for service, they could find no leak so they added a dye to the fluid. This will allow us to identify the cause of the leak in the future if we find that fluid is low again in the future.

Can anyone tell me if the power steering pump or system is a common issue on Outlooks and advise me regarding what to do about it? If many of the pumps are failing or leaking, I want to know so that I can be more knowledgeable when discussing the issue with the dealership service personnel. I am afraid that if I do nothing, they will continue to tell me to top off the power steering fluid to "bandage" the issue until I am no longer on warranty and then have to pay out-of-pocket to replace the pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bjoseph's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bjoseph reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
floppydogg
floppydogg is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

I experienced the same moaning noise coming thru the steering column at about 38,000 mi on my 2008 Outlook. When I took it to the dealership they dismissed it as exhaust noise. 4 months later and the sound was getting worse I took it to my local GM dealer as Saturn had bought the farm at that point, and one ride with the service manager and he heard the same moaning and immediately diagnosed it as the power steering pump. A new pump was ordered and installed yesterday and on the 35 mi drive home the sound was gone. Exhaust noise my %$#* I also mentioned to the service manager about the service bulletin GM had sent out recommending just topping off the power steering fluid but he said he would rather just replace the pump. Hopefully this won't be a repeat problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floppydogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floppydogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floppydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

If the low fluid level is addressed early enough the pumps usually dont need to be replaced. The newest bulletin consists of raising the fluid level and most importantly bleeding the system of air. I havent seen many pumps leak. The system seems to be under filled from the factory.

Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ

94 SW2-my daily, custom intake and ported throttle body
2007 Ion 3 2.4L ---custom intake, HP tune, stock Redline coil springs

Last edited by Way2QWK; 01-18-2010 at 02:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

We just had ours replaced yesterday for the same reason. Didn't have any issues with the dealership this time, although when we brought it in a few months ago, they said they didn't hear the sound, which couldn't have been possible unless they just all sound that way and they can't tell the difference anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
WFrazier
WFrazier is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 Outlook, last night in beautiful 75 degree weather I was having difficutly in turning the wheel. It was making a squeeling noise. I checked the power steering fluid and it was full. It works fine when i get up past 30mph but lower than that and i have to turn really hard.
Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WFrazier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WFrazier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WFrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFrazier View Post
I have a 2007 Outlook, last night in beautiful 75 degree weather I was having difficutly in turning the wheel. It was making a squeeling noise. I checked the power steering fluid and it was full. It works fine when i get up past 30mph but lower than that and i have to turn really hard.
Any suggestions?
My 2007 Outlook was in the shop for the same issue in February. With the engine at low RPMs I couldn't turn the wheel at all, which made parking a challenge! They replaced the power steering pump but the problem didn't go away, so on advice from GM they replaced the whole steering rack assembly! All under warranty, fortunately. The beast handles well now, at least.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
Bob D
Bob D is on a distinguished road

I have a strange problem that any of the dealers I take it too can figure out.
The sequence of events as follows;
Visit 1: Dropped it off for 35.000 kilometer service and mentioned about the power steering noise and "stuttering or pulsing" of the wheel
They replaced hose as it was leaking and topped up fluid.
Visit 2: Took it back, noise had gone but still the shaky wheel at below 100 KPH. Very intermittent, much worse in rain or light snow
Visit 3: Dealer agrees something is very wrong (thankfully) and keeps vehicle for another week to replace left strut, wheel alignment, replace tie-rod end. Leave with same issues!
Visit 4: Took it to a different dealer with hope he may know what the problem is
Again I'm told there is something wrong so had wheel balancing and rotation.
Leave with same issues!
Visit 5: Tomorrow I will insist this has to be sorted. My guess now is rack or steering gear. Its a loaded out unit that cost nearly $50,000 and drives like a 10 year old Datsun. Its all under warranty but the inconvenience is really getting me mad. Can anyone suggest what can be wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob D's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob D reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
tuzla1
tuzla1 is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE

I had 13000 km on my 2009 XE fwd when I lost steering completely, they said steering cooler had a crack in it, replaced, warranty work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tuzla1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tuzla1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tuzla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
KY91C2
KY91C2 is on a distinguished road

We have around 134000 miles on our 2007 outlook, and last night about 100 miles from home, we had the problem show up when stopping for gas. Power steering was loud, and did not work at low speeds (parking lot). Was fine for the rest of the trip at highway speeds. Checked the fluid this morning when cold, and it is barely above the min mark. I am going to add the fluid per the Saturn document, and see if it helps, since we are quite a bit past our warranty...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KY91C2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KY91C2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KY91C2 is offline   Reply With Quote