SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Kevin 2007 XR
Kevin 2007 XR is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default What oil type to use?

I took my Outlook to Monroe Oil for an oil change. I couldn't wait the two hours they wanted so I left. I went there because Midas said the Outlook wasn't in their system and he had NEVER heard of a 3.6 V6 ("Are you sure that ain't a Relay...) Monroe said they stocked the filter, but said if I didn't upgrade to their partial synthetic I would void the warranty and shorten my engine life.

I HATE scare tactics these guys use, but I wanted to hear what he said about the $10 upcharge to go partial synthetic. He said that is what the dealers use and they know to look for it when you bring in a vehicle for service. (more BS)

I know we have some Saturn techs and experienced "car guys and gals" on the forum, so what is everyone's opinion? Is plain oil OK and watch the Oil Life Indicator (mine is at 44% at 4410 miles) or should I not be cheap and go semi-synthetic for $10 more? I have used plain oil in all my cars for the last 30 years with no problems.

Is this semi-synthetic oil more like "snake oil"?

Thanks for your comments.
Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin 2007 XR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin 2007 XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin 2007 XR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: What oil type to use?

saturn recomends just plain old good quality oil. many upgrade to synthetic but its not required by saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

also ive used plain old pennzoil my whole life. 40 years and just over 1.5 million miles of driving and have never had an engine problem because of oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 2007 XR View Post
I took my Outlook to Monroe Oil for an oil change. I couldn't wait the two hours they wanted so I left. I went there because Midas said the Outlook wasn't in their system and he had NEVER heard of a 3.6 V6 ("Are you sure that ain't a Relay...) Monroe said they stocked the filter, but said if I didn't upgrade to their partial synthetic I would void the warranty and shorten my engine life.

I HATE scare tactics these guys use, but I wanted to hear what he said about the $10 upcharge to go partial synthetic. He said that is what the dealers use and they know to look for it when you bring in a vehicle for service. (more BS)

I know we have some Saturn techs and experienced "car guys and gals" on the forum, so what is everyone's opinion? Is plain oil OK and watch the Oil Life Indicator (mine is at 44% at 4410 miles) or should I not be cheap and go semi-synthetic for $10 more? I have used plain oil in all my cars for the last 30 years with no problems.

Is this semi-synthetic oil more like "snake oil"?

Thanks for your comments.
Kevin
WTF? I hate oil change places, why because they try to make you feel stupid and try to rip ya off. I either use the dealer because they are trained on my vehicle and know what to use or I go to the dealer and get the parts to do the job myself. I would say just use what the owners manual says and you will be good to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djhhjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I don't like oil change places either, they scam you. My vehicles go to the dealer - that way waranty checks can be done at the same time.

I switched to the synthetic by Castrol on my first oil change (supposed to help with the mileage). The cost difference is off set by the $8.00 rebate I get from Castrol.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhhjd View Post
I would say just use what the owners manual says and you will be good to go.
+1.

the important thing about oil is the API designation. unless your manual states you must use synthetic, use whatever meets the API. check your manual and don't go to quick lube places, seriously. they also stick to 3K/3mo changes, when EVERY car mfgr has gone to longer intervals LONG ago.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

For fun I did the 24/7 live chat on "My Saturn" at GM's site. This is the reply I got!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin 2007 XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
outlook33
outlook33 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

A friend of mine who has been working on cars for 30 years said that synthetic is better and it will not break down as quick as normal oil but it is higher in price. He said you will be fine with whatever is recommended for your car per the manual. You can go a little longer between changes with the synthetic oil. It's mainly up to you on what you want to pay for your oil changes. As far as using the online assistance from Saturn, they are good for some information but for reliable tech info on the engine I recommend speaking to your dealership service dept or a service tech directly. That was a good test that Kevin did and I bet if you did it again with a different rep you would get a different answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook33 View Post
I bet if you did it again with a different rep you would get a different answer.
I did just that and got the same answer. I was hoping for a completely different answer to show how these online help things can be inconsistent, but no luck. I may try again.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
a7888
a7888 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

For what it's worth, I've been in the Air Force for 22 yrs. I'm an aircraft mechanic and since I've been in, aircraft have used synthetic oil. Obviously, aircraft engines operate at very high temps and trying conditions, but if it's good for them, it's good for me. I've seen planes fly for 4 months straight in the desert before we do desert preventative maintenance (to incl oil change) and the oil may be a little dirty, it's not broken down. Oil consumption by heat is also not very apparent. I've used sythetic for all my vehicles and have never had a problem. But bottom line, use at least what your manual says to use, if you want to go above and beyond, that's your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to a7888's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help a7888 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
a7888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

The recommended oils with the starburst symbol that meet GM Standard GM6094M are all you need for good performance and engine protection. -- From the manual.

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

that is really scary that saturn doesnt know the correct answer. i guess its not all that surprising though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Kevin 2007 XR

2007 Outlook XR

I ende dup using the basic dino oil and not the synth blend. I am sure this is OK and the oil supposedly has the API Sunburst symbol to back it up.

Of note I had heard the factory installed oil filter is a b***tch to remove. I watched the tech and it took him a LONG time to get it off. I thought it also was interesting that it looked like he removed it from the top of the engine. I looked under the Outlook while it was up in the air and I could not see the filter from below.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!