SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Shifty01
Shifty01 is on a distinguished road

Default Jerking when coasting

So trying to remotely diagnose my sisters saturn, an 2001 SL2, not definite about the year though.

she said when she lets go of the gas to slow down for a stop instead of just happily coasting down it kind of jerks down. she took it into the shop about a month ago and they did a full tuneup (wires, plugs, fuel filter...) and the problem went away until recently when it started again on her way to work this morning. she says it only does it after awhile, probably when its warm.

any ideas?

btw its an auto, 120k ish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shifty01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shifty01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shifty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Jerking when coasting

Throttle body butterfly valve sticking or possibly EGR valve sticking. Both can be corrected by cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Vue&SL1
Vue&SL1 is on a distinguished road

I have the jerking the OP is talking about. Happens when I am going about 55-65 mph and let off the gas to coast. It is not a real jostling type of jerking, just a light tug back and forth.

I did clean my throttle body and EGR so they were spotless two days ago, and it still has that jerking. It only happens though when going from 55+. If I coast going 40, 45, etc. it coasts normally.

2000 SL
2006 VUE 3.5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue&SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue&SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue&SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

Hmmm.... abit odd.... cant think of what to look for first....... Ask Barnowl time. lol

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinRevver View Post
Hmmm.... abit odd.... cant think of what to look for first....... Ask Barnowl time. lol
lol!!!

Why don't people say whether or not they have an automatic or not? This may be normal behavior, believe it or not. The Saturn automatic actually downshifts as you decellerate. That's probably what you're feeling.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
samsr
samsr is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SC2

I have this with the 99 that I have. The first time it happened it felt kin of strange. But apparently it is normal. Take a little getting used to though. Just another thought, What kind of plugs did they put in when the tune up was done. No platinums please.

15 S-series put back on the road.
Now working on a 2000 LW2 v6 auto. Timing belt, 2 intake valves and more getting discovered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
mac99sl2
Advanced Member
mac99sl2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1999 SL2

the downshift may feel more present because of a bad motor mount. if the engine is moving considerably it could have a quick change in momentum similar to someone rocking back and forth in the seat fast while your driving. Just a thought.

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mac99sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mac99sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mac99sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Shifty01
Shifty01 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the ideas guys. i dont think its normal because according to her it started doing it, then went away with the tune up, then came back a month or two later.

i dont know what plugs are in it, next time its back ill take a look at them. i haven't driven it myself, im just going by what she says.

i replaced the upper motor mount about 6 months ago on it, would there be another mount that causes problems?

ill also clean both the TB and EGR next time i see it.

the car is in State College, PA and im in Dearborn, MI, so cant exactly go out and look at it like you fellas can.

keep the infomation and ideas coming this is good stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shifty01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shifty01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shifty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty01 View Post
i replaced the upper motor mount about 6 months ago on it, would there be another mount that causes problems?
If you got the Anchor mount that is sold at most parts stores, it could be the one you replaced.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Trumpet1
Trumpet1 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

I posted about a '94 SL2 that's doing the same thing....it sounds like. I referred to it as "lurching". The feeling is sort of like you get when driving with a manual trans and coasting with low rpms. Don't know if that's how your feels. Hopefully we'll both get some ideas.

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Trumpet1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Trumpet1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Trumpet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
lol!!!

Why don't people say whether or not they have an automatic or not? This may be normal behavior, believe it or not. The Saturn automatic actually downshifts as you decellerate. That's probably what you're feeling.
it freaked me out at first, but being that I only feel it during a downshift while stopping I found it to be normal. and i dont feel it all the time, just sometimes, normally before getting to operating temp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Is this only happening in colder weather?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote